Old August 29th 06, 02:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Question about cheaper Oyster after 7pm

I haven't seen a single (obvious) sign anywhere saying that the journey
will be cheaper after 7pm, which is a mean trick to play on people who
don't know about this, and who want to use the tube at 6.59, unaware that
if they wait a few seconds they will save quite a bit of money.

There are, however, plenty of signs reminding old people and the infirm
that they can't use their pass until 9.30

It seems that they're quick to put signs up where they could lose money,
but slow when there's a chance of them making a fast buck.

I didn't even know about this until I checked my Oyster Card usage the
other day. When was it introduced?

I've been making a number of journeys shortly before 7pm and would have
happily waited a few minutes had I known about the extra charge.

Now I know, of course, but am annoyed I have been handing them money for
nothing - only to spend those minutes waiting on an empty platform.

Large explanatory posters at every barrier telling us our journey could be
cheaper if we wait until 7pm would have been nice.

I take it that the fare change starts from the beginning of the journey,
rather than the end, correct?

Old August 29th 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
I haven't seen a single (obvious) sign anywhere saying that the
journey will be cheaper after 7pm, which is a mean trick to play on
people who don't know about this, and who want to use the tube at
6.59, unaware that if they wait a few seconds they will save quite
a bit of money.

It's set out in the fares leaflet which has been around since January,
and also on the TfL website. In any case, it doesn't apply in all
cases. For example, journeys within one zone, or two zones outside Z1,
are the same price all day.

There are, however, plenty of signs reminding old people and the
infirm that they can't use their pass until 9.30.

Where are those? Since Freedom Passes are valid from 09:00 on tubes and
buses, this seems unlikely. Off-peak Travelcards are valid from 09:30.

It seems that they're quick to put signs up where they could lose
money, but slow when there's a chance of them making a fast buck.

I suggest that the signs are largely to prevent commuters being held up
by people getting their pass/Travelcard rejected if they turn up too
early.

I didn't even know about this until I checked my Oyster Card usage
the other day. When was it introduced?

January this year, unless it was in operation last year (can't
remember).

I've been making a number of journeys shortly before 7pm and would
have happily waited a few minutes had I known about the extra
charge.

Now I know, of course, but am annoyed I have been handing them
money for nothing - only to spend those minutes waiting on an empty
platform.

Large explanatory posters at every barrier telling us our journey
could be cheaper if we wait until 7pm would have been nice.

No thanks. There's quite enough to read on posters already around the
gates.

I take it that the fare change starts from the beginning of the
journey, rather than the end, correct?

I assume so, though I can't find a definitive statement to that effect.
--
Richard J.

Old August 29th 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

I didn't even know about this until I checked my Oyster Card usage
the other day. When was it introduced?

January this year, unless it was in operation last year (can't remember).

It came in with Oyster prepay in January 2004, although the "full rate"
period was adjusted at the start of this year to run from 7am-7pm.
Previously it started at 6.30am.

Old August 29th 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." typed

January this year, unless it was in operation last year (can't
remember).

I've just looked at my 2005 fares leaflet and it was in operation from
January 2005.

I was definitely aware of it before I had my Freedom pass.
I would hang around Preston Road waiting for the witching hour, when I
had a choir rehearsal near Uxbridge station, which started at 7.45pm.

I've been making a number of journeys shortly before 7pm and would
have happily waited a few minutes had I known about the extra
charge.

I'm afraid it's a tax on ignorance.

I can only suggest you become an anorak and read all fare leaflets in
advance of any fare changes.

Anorak of Edgware.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 29th 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in
:

"Richard J." typed

January this year, unless it was in operation last year (can't
remember).

I've just looked at my 2005 fares leaflet and it was in operation from
January 2005.

I was definitely aware of it before I had my Freedom pass.
I would hang around Preston Road waiting for the witching hour, when I
had a choir rehearsal near Uxbridge station, which started at 7.45pm.

I've been making a number of journeys shortly before 7pm and would
have happily waited a few minutes had I known about the extra
charge.

I'm afraid it's a tax on ignorance.

SNIP

Well, I think it's immoral, in the same way that impossible-to-read small-
print in yellow font on white background is immoral.

I would be very interested in finding out how many of those new PAYG users
(ie ones that had yearly season tickets until some time in 2006) are
unaware of the fact that it's cheaper after 7pm. I bet it's more than half.

Old August 29th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:50:59 -0500, "Tristán White"
wrote:

[...]

It's hardly immoral - I think you're taking this a bit too far.

I would be very interested in finding out how many of those new PAYG users
(ie ones that had yearly season tickets until some time in 2006) are
unaware of the fact that it's cheaper after 7pm. I bet it's more than half.

As Helen says it pays to read the fares leaflets. I appreciate you are
upset about the fact you feel you have lost out but I don't think you
can expect every rule in life to be broadcast in 10 foot high letters.

In many walks of life it pays to be an informed purchaser - I'm sure I
have missed out on many discounts and offers in life but I don't let it
bother me unduly. You know now and you can take advantage of the PAYG
discounts as they stand.
--
Paul C

Old August 29th 06, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tkd" typed

I didn't even know about this until I checked my Oyster Card usage
the other day. When was it introduced?

January this year, unless it was in operation last year (can't remember).

It came in with Oyster prepay in January 2004, although the "full rate"
period was adjusted at the start of this year to run from 7am-7pm.
Previously it started at 6.30am.

As far as I can see from my 2004 fares leaflet pdf, there was no 7pm
cutoff then, but weekend fares were cheaper than weekdays.

The Edgware Anorak

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.