Old September 28th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Carry too much on tube

I was on the Victoria line tonight and to be honest it was crowded, but
the main problem wasn't the number of people, it's the amount they all
seem to carry with them these days.

Back pack culture ! Everyone seems to need a backpack and then of
course a laptop clutched under their armpit. All this carried high up
where there is no room anyway. Then when people get on or off all this
junk get stuck on other peoples similar loads and gets stuck.... they
get angry and snappy with each other, and it becomes unpleasant.

How much of this stuff is really needed ?

Plus of course we're using energy resources to move all this flotsam
around the city.

How about a campaign to encourage people for their own comfort and the
comfort of their fellow passengers, not to carry non essential baggage
at peak times ?

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Old September 28th 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote in message
[...]

Having a back pack jammed into your chest for a few stops is very
unpleasent.

The biggest problem though has to be those cases with wheels and a
telescopic handle.
They seem to be getting larger and larger with the weight increasing
relative to the size.

The exit stratagy from the tube seems to follow the same pattern. Lug the
bag of, stop,
pull out the handle, weave there way to the escalator, stop, push in the
handle, lug bag
on the escalator, get of escalator, stop, pull out handle and then get stuck
in the ticket barriers.

Entering the underground follows a similar pattern. First push down the
handle. I wont go on.

A station i use every working day is Kings Cross underground, i use the exit
into the main line
station. The stairs to a person with one of these cases as big as themselves
must look like Everest.

Having helped a few people to the top with there luggage my arm muscles are
developing nicely
but my back is suffering.

Regards
Clyde

Old September 29th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

clyde dempster wrote:

A station i use every working day is Kings Cross underground, i use the exit
into the main line
station. The stairs to a person with one of these cases as big as themselves
must look like Everest.

Having helped a few people to the top with there luggage my arm muscles are
developing nicely
but my back is suffering.

Two new lifts at KX (one in the old ticket hall, which takes you from
the top of the escalators up to subway level and the street, and one in
the new ticket hall, which leads from the platforms to subway level)
mean there is no need to carry heavy cases up steps from the tube any
more.

Most people probably dont know they exist. At the very least there
should be a sign in the mainline station directing people to the lift.

PaulO

Old September 29th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

On 29/09/2006 13:56, Paul Oter wrote:
clyde dempster wrote:

A station i use every working day is Kings Cross underground, i use the exit
into the main line
station. The stairs to a person with one of these cases as big as themselves
must look like Everest.

Having helped a few people to the top with there luggage my arm muscles are
developing nicely
but my back is suffering.

Two new lifts at KX (one in the old ticket hall, which takes you from
the top of the escalators up to subway level and the street, and one in
the new ticket hall, which leads from the platforms to subway level)
mean there is no need to carry heavy cases up steps from the tube any
more.

Most people probably dont know they exist. At the very least there
should be a sign in the mainline station directing people to the lift.

PaulO

There is/was a rule about taking big objects (including cases) on the
LUL over a certain size.

I'm sure that would be fun for LUL to try and enforce, but maybe they
should - I would make life so much nicer for those people who don't want
running over and blocking by 4' rolling cases

But then every now and again I see a (proper) bike on places like the
Victoria Line - and they shouldn't be let into the station, let alone on
the train.

Fun fun.
Old September 29th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

clyde dempster wrote:

[...]

There is a very simple solution to the issue of backpacks. If people
took the bloody things off their backs and put them down by their feet
then they actually wouldn't take up any extra space. As the op says
when you get a carriage full of Quasimodos you lose half the usable
standing space.

Kevin

Old September 29th 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Q wrote:

There is/was a rule about taking big objects (including cases) on the
LUL over a certain size.

I'm sure that would be fun for LUL to try and enforce, but maybe they
should - I would make life so much nicer for those people who don't want
running over and blocking by 4' rolling cases

I've seen posters reminding people of this rule at Tottenham Hale.
They were aimed at people trying to take flat-pack furniture home from
IKEA Edmonton.

Simon

Old September 29th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Two basic rules govern the size of what you can take on the tube -
nothing over 2 metres (hence the old posters with that guy and his
inflatable crocodile) and nothing you cannot carry yourself. One of
the main flaws in this design, and indeed a major obstacle in improving
matters) is that LU has links to Heathrow, as well as other mainline
stations with airport connections, and thousands of people use the tube
to get to airports every day - with those annoying trolley bags!

The other week a fella turned up at work with a surfboard of all
things. He was flying from Heathrow and needed to take the board on
the plane... well, he should have checked before travelling, but still
it doesn't feel right, particularly late of an evening, to turn someone
down for carrying something that is about a mm over 2 metres.

Incidentally I didn't, but I warned him he'd probably not get far into
town with it...

Old September 29th 06, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

incidentally, this should provide information for anyone who's
interested. most people aren't even aware that it exists.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...eptember06.pdf

Old September 29th 06, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
" writes
incidentally, this should provide information for anyone who's
interested. most people aren't even aware that it exists.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...ditions-of-Car
riage-September06.pdf

Brilliant, and I'm sure many items carried on the tube fall into the
"likely to cause an injury category". It's about time London Underground
started enforcing these rules.

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old September 30th 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
vtk vtk is offline

I'd go as far as saying, during peak times, all large luggage should be
banned, as should prams and people who don't know where they are going.

The rule should be, if your journey is not to/from work or totally necessary
then you should not travel at peak time.