Old October 3rd 06, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Default Website maps out greener way to work

I don't understand why it is greener to walk?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5390418.stm

Do they stop running the tubes or buses if enough people decided to
walk. I can't see how this helps the environment.

Kevin

Old October 3rd 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kev wrote:
I don't understand why it is greener to walk?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5390418.stm

Do they stop running the tubes or buses if enough people decided to
walk. I can't see how this helps the environment.

Directly: the train/bus doesn't need to use energy to accelerate 80kg
of you every time it speeds up, nor to raise 80kg of you up any hills
it may climb.

Indirectly: if enough people decide to walk, the number of passengers
on the bus route/tube line will be lower, and therefore fewer costly
and resource-intensive expansion schemes will be required (it might
also be possible to cut frequencies and hence the total number of
services).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old October 3rd 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, John B wrote:

Kev wrote:

I don't understand why it is greener to walk?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5390418.stm

Do they stop running the tubes or buses if enough people decided to
walk. I can't see how this helps the environment.

Directly: the train/bus doesn't need to use energy to accelerate 80kg of
you every time it speeds up, nor to raise 80kg of you up any hills it
may climb.

And taxis wouldn't have to make the trip at all.

tom

--
The girlfriend of my friend is my enemy.
Old October 3rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, John B wrote:

Kev wrote:

I don't understand why it is greener to walk?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5390418.stm

Do they stop running the tubes or buses if enough people decided to
walk. I can't see how this helps the environment.

Directly: the train/bus doesn't need to use energy to accelerate 80kg of
you every time it speeds up, nor to raise 80kg of you up any hills it
may climb.

And taxis wouldn't have to make the trip at all.

tom

Asides from that, too many people are too snobby to walk. If you
missed a Baker Street train take the Marylebone and walk for 4 minutes.
No 2 stations in London are far apart, and often its quicker to walk
street level than trek through the station to the interchange line, and
then back up all the escalators at the other end.

Old October 3rd 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
(John B) wrote:

Directly: the train/bus doesn't need to use energy to accelerate
80kg of you every time it speeds up, nor to raise 80kg of you up any
hills it may climb.

But, AIUI, you use less energy (food) cycling than walking.

--
Colin Rosenstiel