London Banter

-   -   Memo to Northern Line Controller (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4559-memo-northern-line-controller.html)

Clive D. W. Feather October 5th 06 03:19 PM

Memo to Northern Line Controller

If you're planning to detrain a southbound service at Finchley Central
and run it empty to Highgate depot, why not let it continue in service
to East Finchley and detrain it there? That way you won't hold up all
the following trains while the driver walks all the way down to the back
and then to the front again.

Or is there a logical explanation for this instruction?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

clive Coleman. October 5th 06 06:35 PM

Memo to Northern Line Controller

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
If you're planning to detrain a southbound service at Finchley Central
and run it empty to Highgate depot, why not let it continue in service
to East Finchley and detrain it there? That way you won't hold up all
the following trains while the driver walks all the way down to the
back and then to the front again.

Or is there a logical explanation for this instruction?

Yes, they've done away with the guards who only walked from the back to
the front.
--
Clive.

[email protected] October 5th 06 08:32 PM

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
If you're planning to detrain a southbound service at Finchley Central
and run it empty to Highgate depot, why not let it continue in service
to East Finchley and detrain it there? That way you won't hold up all
the following trains while the driver walks all the way down to the back
and then to the front again.

Or is there a logical explanation for this instruction?

But how would going one extra stop and then detraining avoid any hold
up? It would just mean the hold up would be delayed by a couple of
minutes.

Dave Arquati October 5th 06 09:21 PM

wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
If you're planning to detrain a southbound service at Finchley Central
and run it empty to Highgate depot, why not let it continue in service
to East Finchley and detrain it there? That way you won't hold up all
the following trains while the driver walks all the way down to the back
and then to the front again.

Or is there a logical explanation for this instruction?

But how would going one extra stop and then detraining avoid any hold
up? It would just mean the hold up would be delayed by a couple of
minutes.

East Finchley has four platform faces, two of which lead solely to
Highgate depot (thus any trains in these platforms do not block
following trains) whilst Finchley Central has just two (where
terminating trains do block following trains).

--
Dave Arquati

Steve Fitzgerald October 5th 06 09:33 PM

Memo to Northern Line Controller

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
If you're planning to detrain a southbound service at Finchley Central
and run it empty to Highgate depot, why not let it continue in service
to East Finchley and detrain it there? That way you won't hold up all
the following trains while the driver walks all the way down to the
back and then to the front again.

Or is there a logical explanation for this instruction?

Perhaps the train was withdrawn as defective?

Mike Bristow October 5th 06 10:11 PM

Memo to Northern Line Controller

In article ,
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
If you're planning to detrain a southbound service at Finchley Central
and run it empty to Highgate depot, why not let it continue in service
to East Finchley and detrain it there?

I've seen southbound train terminate at East Fincley often[1], but
I've never seen a southbound train terminate at Finchley Central.

Or is there a logical explanation for this instruction?

A failure of equipment which makes the train unsutable for passenger
use between West Finchley and Finchley Central? At that point it's
probably better to run empty to the depot than run into the nearest
siding and try and fix it there.

[1] I go from Finchley to Archway, and as almost all southbound
trains at Finchley go at least that far, I usually ignore the
platform indicator. This means I get on the fisrt southbound train,
and occasionally change at East Finchley. I've done this perhaps
five or six times in the last year.

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.

Colin Rosenstiel October 5th 06 10:12 PM

Memo to Northern Line Controller

In article om,
() wrote:

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
If you're planning to detrain a southbound service at Finchley
Central and run it empty to Highgate depot, why not let it continue
in service to East Finchley and detrain it there? That way you won't
hold up all the following trains while the driver walks all the way
down to the back and then to the front again.

Or is there a logical explanation for this instruction?

But how would going one extra stop and then detraining avoid any
hold up? It would just mean the hold up would be delayed by a couple of
minutes.

Why do I think someone doesn't know the track layout at East Finchley?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mike Bristow October 5th 06 10:16 PM

Dave Arquati wrote:
wrote:
But how would going one extra stop and then detraining avoid any hold
up? It would just mean the hold up would be delayed by a couple of
minutes.

East Finchley has four platform faces, two of which lead solely to
Highgate depot (thus any trains in these platforms do not block
following trains) whilst Finchley Central has just two (where
terminating trains do block following trains).

Pedantically, Finchley Central has three plaform faces; two of which
can be used by southbound trains (I think: can a north-to-south
reversal be done by a train running south from platform 2? I'll
have to look now; you've made me curious).

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.

Clive D. W. Feather October 6th 06 06:51 AM

Memo to Northern Line Controller

In article , Mike Bristow
writes
Pedantically, Finchley Central has three plaform faces; two of which
can be used by southbound trains (I think: can a north-to-south
reversal be done by a train running south from platform 2?

No, it can't. I'm 96% sure (the signalling plan isn't with me) that the
arrangements a

Platform 1: enter from East Finchley, Mill Hill East, or south siding;
exit to Mill Hill East or north siding.
Platform 2: enter from East Finchley or south siding;
exit to Mill Hill East, High Barnet, or north siding.
Platform 3: enter from Mill Hill East, High Barnet, or north siding;
exit to East Finchley or south siding.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: