Old October 20th 06, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR to Charing Cross

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 02:04 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

The reason is that the benefit to that one passenger is
massively offset by the huge volumes of people with longer wait
times and far more congested travelling conditions on the
extension. In short the disbenefits outweigh the benefits and there
is no way on earth that a business case could be constructed to
allow re-opening as per your suggestion. LU would not be in
compliance with the appraisal methodology set out by TfL / DfT if
it was to ignore the disbenefit of lower service levels on the
extension.

This might be convincing if there were not already regular
reversers which tip people out at Green Park and run empty to CX.
They would get there quicker of course and cause fewer delays to
the rest of the service if they didn't have to tip the passengers
out at Green Park.

No, they don't run regular reversers. The only reason why trains
would use the old branch is if there is a serious disruption - usually
signal failure - that means trains cannot proceed on to the
extension. You have regrettably encountered too many of such
disruptions. My argument therefore remains just as convincing.

I've only *ever* seen a single reverser with the next train fairly soon
after and onto the EJL.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 20th 06, 05:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave 2 wrote:
Indeed... the escalators at Marylebone look like they haven't been
replaced since my Mum used them in the Second World War (unless they've
been replaced since I was last there in '99, they looked like they were
made out of wood)

The Marylebone escalators were finally replaced about 2 or 3 years ago.

They were, I think, the last remaining wooden escalators on the network
at the time - and the report into the Kings Cross fire stated that all
wooden escalators should be replaced ASAP.

Old October 20th 06, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wooden escalators (was DLR to Charing Cross)

Stevie wrote:

Dave 2 wrote:
Indeed... the escalators at Marylebone look like they haven't been
replaced since my Mum used them in the Second World War (unless they've
been replaced since I was last there in '99, they looked like they were
made out of wood)

The Marylebone escalators were finally replaced about 2 or 3 years ago.

They were, I think, the last remaining wooden escalators on the network
at the time - and the report into the Kings Cross fire stated that all
wooden escalators should be replaced ASAP.

There are some wooden escalators at Greenford (obviously not all wood
construction but you know what I mean!). They are however in a surface
building - they take people from street level up to the high-level
platforms - so I guess they're not considered such a safety hazard as
if they were subterranean.

Old October 20th 06, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Oct 2006 01:13:50 -0700, Mizter T wrote:

The Marylebone escalators were finally replaced about 2 or 3 years ago.

They were, I think, the last remaining wooden escalators on the network
at the time - and the report into the Kings Cross fire stated that all
wooden escalators should be replaced ASAP.

There are some wooden escalators at Greenford (obviously not all wood
construction but you know what I mean!). They are however in a surface
building - they take people from street level up to the high-level
platforms - so I guess they're not considered such a safety hazard as
if they were subterranean.

There's just one wooden escalator there, I think (as well as two fixed
staircases).

Trivia: it's the only station on the network where you take an
escalator *up* to the platforms from ground level.

Old October 20th 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

Trivia: it's the only station on the network where you take an
escalator *up* to the platforms from ground level.

Alperton used to be the other one, but the escalator was taken out of
use some years ago, and walled up. It was one of LT's more interesting
escalators, having originally been used in the Dome of Discovery at the
Festival of Britain.

Old October 20th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Oct 2006 08:40:27 -0700, wrote:

Trivia: it's the only station on the network where you take an
escalator *up* to the platforms from ground level.

Alperton used to be the other one, but the escalator was taken out of
use some years ago, and walled up.

Ah, that explains why the stairs at Alperton are so narrow and
claustrophobic!
Old October 21st 06, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

In article ,
(Stephen Farrow) wrote:

Because their design life was shorter than 29 years?

I should hope not. See the sub-thread about Greenford.

Although I can't find anything relating to TfL, there are numerous
references on the WWW to escalators for transport systems having a
design life of 25 years.

--
Paul Terry