Old November 2nd 06, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default FCC 'London Terminals' to change from January 2007

I've just received an email from London Travelwatch with the following
information - something good from FCC, at last:

First Capital Connect has announced that, from January 2007, as part
of the introduction of zonal fares that all their stations in Zone 1
including Farringdon will be classed as London terminals when buying a
ticket. This means that Kings Cross will now be classed as a London
terminal when travelling from the south, and City Thameslink,
Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant and Castle will now be viewed
as London terminals when travelling from the north. The confusion the
current arrangement has caused has been a real passenger bugbear for
many years, and has turned up periodically in our complaints file, so
we are extremely pleased that FCC are rectifying the matter, meaning
many passengers will pay less for their journeys.

Al Holmes

Old November 2nd 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Al Holmes wrote:
First Capital Connect has announced that, from January 2007, as part
of the introduction of zonal fares that all their stations in Zone 1
including Farringdon will be classed as London terminals when buying a
ticket.

Long overdue. Whilst we're ironing out anomalies in the system, when
will we get Hampstead Heath in Zone 2?

Patrick

Old November 2nd 06, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Al Holmes wrote:
meaning
many passengers will pay less for their journeys.

Or meaning there will be a fares increase?

Neil

Old November 2nd 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hampstead was in Zone 2. They moved it to screw more money out of NLL
users.

Old November 2nd 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Al Holmes) wrote:

I've just received an email from London Travelwatch with the
following information - something good from FCC, at last:

First Capital Connect has announced that, from January 2007, as part
of the introduction of zonal fares that all their stations in Zone 1
including Farringdon will be classed as London terminals when
buying a ticket. This means that Kings Cross will now be classed as a
London terminal when travelling from the south, and City Thameslink,
Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant and Castle will now be
viewed as London terminals when travelling from the north. The
confusion the current arrangement has caused has been a real passenger
bugbear for many years, and has turned up periodically in our
complaints file, so we are extremely pleased that FCC are rectifying
the matter, meaning many passengers will pay less for their journeys.

Strangely, it was confirmed to me by the Tribute system at Cambridge
that my London Terminals to Brighton Saver Return ticket was valid to
King's Cross Thameslink on my return journey (I went out from Clapham
Junction). This was despite the FCC-only London Terminals to Brighton
Saver Return fare being higher. As I didn't use a barrier at KXTL on my
actual journey (too much luggage) I never tested this claim to
destruction.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 3rd 06, 01:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Strangely, it was confirmed to me by the Tribute system at Cambridge
that my London Terminals to Brighton Saver Return ticket was valid to
King's Cross Thameslink on my return journey (I went out from Clapham
Junction). This was despite the FCC-only London Terminals to Brighton
Saver Return fare being higher. As I didn't use a barrier at KXTL on my
actual journey (too much luggage) I never tested this claim to
destruction.

Yes...But then Tribute will quite happily issue a Saver Return from
Edmonton Green to Stansted Airport for travel at 08:30 in the morning,
or at least it did last time I made the journey in question.

Bottom line, at present, is that if the journey passes through
Farringdon, you need a ticket either explicitly from/to the appropriate
station or to/from Zone U1.

Cheers,

Barry
Old November 3rd 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Al Holmes wrote:

First Capital Connect has announced that, from January 2007, as part
of the introduction of zonal fares that all their stations in Zone 1
including Farringdon will be classed as London terminals when buying a
ticket. This means that Kings Cross will now be classed as a London
terminal when travelling from the south, and City Thameslink,
Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant and Castle will now be viewed
as London terminals when travelling from the north.

Is this for the "line formerly known as Thameslink" only, or for Great
Northern as well?

For FCC services on the Great Northern route, King's Cross and Moorgate
are London Terminals (using LU services if desired) but Farringdon is
not, unless things have now changed.

PaulO

Old November 4th 06, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

The only choice of ticket offered for a journey from London to Brighton
and back 6 days later was the one I bought or the "FCC only" one. What
was I supposed to buy?

A London Terminals to Brighton route Any Permitted Saver, plus a Single
Overdistance Excess to Kings Cross Thameslink route Not Underground for
the return leg would seem to be the optimal combination, as you can't
excess from/to a TOC-specific route.

The excess being HALF the difference in fares, as you're only doing it
for one direction.

HTH,

Barry