Old November 11th 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tidal flooding in Chiswick

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:58:38 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

Steve wrote:
[3 quoted lines suppressed]

Steve, for some reason I'm told that your post requires me to install the
Chinese Traditional language pack to display it correctly. Something odd
about the encoding you've used?

The quote messed with the charset, the rtf version displayed in very odd
fonts.

I think the quote is just wrong. The road is particularly low at this point
as there is a draw dock there (a slope down to the river to enable boats to
be launched), but I doubt very much if it's flooded often in the week or so
centred on the neap tides (roughly at the quarter phases of the Moon).

Does it flood over, or out of the drains? I'm not familiar with the north
side. The two areas I've seen flood loads of times, at richmond front and
the Brewary Tap in brentford (oops trapped in the pub again!), they both
flood out of the drains a long time before the water comes over the bank.
Of course they always flood at high neap tides, unless the barrier is
raised.

Steve

Old November 11th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:58:38 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

I think the quote is just wrong. The road is particularly low at
this point as there is a draw dock there (a slope down to the river
to enable boats to be launched), but I doubt very much if it's
flooded often in the week or so centred on the neap tides (roughly
at the quarter phases of the Moon).

Does it flood over, or out of the drains? I'm not familiar with the
north side. The two areas I've seen flood loads of times, at
richmond front and the Brewary Tap in brentford (oops trapped in the
pub again!), they both flood out of the drains a long time before the
water comes over the bank.

On Chiswick Mall, the flood comes straight in from the river, flowing along
the road from the lowest point. The Brewery Tap at Brentford is actually on
the River Brent. Isn't it upstream of Thames Lock? If so, that may explain
why the drains provide the flood route.

Of course they always flood at high neap tides, unless the barrier is
raised.

You mean spring tides, I assume.

--
Richard J.

Old November 12th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:52:42 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

Steve wrote:
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

On Chiswick Mall, the flood comes straight in from the river, flowing along
the road from the lowest point. The Brewery Tap at Brentford is actually on
the River Brent. Isn't it upstream of Thames Lock?

It is, but the section behind the lock up to the main brentford lock N of
the high street is partly tidal, which in this case I guess just means
keeps water in but doesn't keep it out.

[2 quoted lines suppressed]

You mean spring tides, I assume.

yep

(watching news)Bugger goddards pie and mash has closed!

Steve
Old November 12th 06, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:56:33 GMT, Steve
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:52:42 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

Steve wrote:
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

On Chiswick Mall, the flood comes straight in from the river, flowing along
the road from the lowest point. The Brewery Tap at Brentford is actually on
the River Brent. Isn't it upstream of Thames Lock?

It is, but the section behind the lock up to the main brentford lock N of
the high street is partly tidal, which in this case I guess just means
keeps water in but doesn't keep it out.

[2 quoted lines suppressed]

You mean spring tides, I assume.

yep

(watching news)Bugger goddards pie and mash has closed!

Steve

That would explain why yesterday (Saturday) there was a queue of maybe
20/30 outside the shop even at 14:30.

Regards
JonH