Old November 10th 06, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly Line Automated Announcements

Hi folks,

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this already, but at least one unit
(Vehicles 174+574 are two of the cars in same, didn't catch the third)
on the Piccadilly Line now features a full auto announcer.

Cheers,

Barry

Old November 10th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this already, but at least one unit
(Vehicles 174+574 are two of the cars in same, didn't catch the third)
on the Piccadilly Line now features a full auto announcer.

And it isn't the original DVA either. The original was recorded by a
Train Operator from Arnos Grove crew depot, while the new one is
supposed to be "professionally" done.

Old November 10th 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:

And it isn't the original DVA either. The original was recorded by a
Train Operator from Arnos Grove crew depot, while the new one is
supposed to be "professionally" done.

Ironically, I tried to encourage one of the Arnos Grove crew to become a
professional announcer, because he has the best voice of anyone I've ever
met.

Old November 10th 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ironically, I tried to encourage one of the Arnos Grove crew to become a
professional announcer, because he has the best voice of anyone I've ever
met.

Send him to Wembley Park to replace the drone that makes those
announcements. Has the most monotone (northern accent) and sounds like he
is about to slit his wrists..and to make matters worse its obviously in a
loop so you cant get away - which leads me to notice how that since the
station has been rebuilt how they never stop making announcements. The
other day whilst waiting around 6 mins for a train there must have been
around 10 announcements announcing no smoking/dont slip on wet
surface/weekend service interupptions/good service on Met line/bad service
on etc.../stand behind yellow line at all times etc etc etc

Old November 10th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:02:37 +0000, Barry Salter
wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this already, but at least one unit
(Vehicles 174+574 are two of the cars in same, didn't catch the third)
on the Piccadilly Line now features a full auto announcer.

Yeah, I forgot to mention it.

It's *awful*. Gaps in totally the wrong places in reconstructed
sentences.

Old November 10th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Barry Salter
writes
Hi folks,

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this already, but at least one unit
(Vehicles 174+574 are two of the cars in same, didn't catch the third)
on the Piccadilly Line now features a full auto announcer.

Actually there are 3 1/2 full trains operational now the unit you
mention will have had 374 in it. I drove 107 - 216 units last Friday
and they are fitted too.

I've been told that they will be enabled at the rate of about 5 units a
week (two units make up a full train).
Old November 10th 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:
It's *awful*. Gaps in totally the wrong places in reconstructed
sentences.

Why did the redo it anyway, was it because of the T5 extension?
Surely it would have made more sense to use a speech synthesizer
anyway instead of digitised audio,then no re-recording necessary.
Just type in the new phrase and you're done. Its not like they sound
like Speak & Spell these anymore so why arn't these systems used?

B2003

Old November 11th 06, 01:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

purple pete wrote:
Ironically, I tried to encourage one of the Arnos Grove crew to become a
professional announcer, because he has the best voice of anyone I've ever
met.

Send him to Wembley Park to replace the drone that makes those
announcements. Has the most monotone (northern accent) and sounds like he
is about to slit his wrists..and to make matters worse its obviously in a
loop so you cant get away - which leads me to notice how that since the
station has been rebuilt how they never stop making announcements. The
other day whilst waiting around 6 mins for a train there must have been
around 10 announcements announcing no smoking/dont slip on wet
surface/weekend service interupptions/good service on Met line/bad service
on etc.../stand behind yellow line at all times etc etc etc

I could do it in my nyawk non axcent "yo da next train on the north
bound metropolitan train is going to amersham you gotta problem widdat
?"

Old November 11th 06, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Nov 2006 18:02:34 -0800, "
wrote:

purple pete wrote:
Ironically, I tried to encourage one of the Arnos Grove crew to become a
professional announcer, because he has the best voice of anyone I've ever
met.

Send him to Wembley Park to replace the drone that makes those
announcements. Has the most monotone (northern accent) and sounds like he
is about to slit his wrists..and to make matters worse its obviously in a
loop so you cant get away - which leads me to notice how that since the
station has been rebuilt how they never stop making announcements. The
other day whilst waiting around 6 mins for a train there must have been
around 10 announcements announcing no smoking/dont slip on wet
surface/weekend service interupptions/good service on Met line/bad service
on etc.../stand behind yellow line at all times etc etc etc

stab, stab, stab

Sorry - calmed down now. The incessant stream of announcements on the
Tube drives me nuts. While I realise the provision of information is for
everyone's good if the service has gone wrong I do think we need to
reduce the frequency of these more "standard" announcements.

I can get 6 or 7 announcements on a really bad day from getting off a
Vic Line train to exiting Walthamstow Central. It only takes about 3
minutes for me to get through the station.

I could do it in my nyawk non axcent "yo da next train on the north
bound metropolitan train is going to amersham you gotta problem widdat
?"

Oh so that's what they say on the subway. I could never get my head
round what the guards were saying when they made announcements.
--
Paul C