Old November 15th 06, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wind turbines(?) Brighton Line

An old gentleman whom I know regularly travels from East Croydon to
Three Bridges and is intrigued by some devices (about six) which have
recently appeared beside the line at various points in the Croydon
area.

He describes them as about 8 feet high and looking like some kind of
'windmill'.

He is curious to know what they are for.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of them?

Old November 17th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 05:07:21PM +0000, Albert wrote:
An old gentleman whom I know regularly travels from East Croydon to
Three Bridges and is intrigued by some devices (about six) which have
recently appeared beside the line at various points in the Croydon
area.
He describes them as about 8 feet high and looking like some kind of
'windmill'.
He is curious to know what they are for.
Does anyone here have any knowledge of them?

Quite a lot of trackside equipment on my daily commute (Thornton Heath -
Victoria) has over the last few years sprouted solar panels and
windmills. I presume that it's just a way of saving money on the
electrickery bill.

It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
-- Alan Cooper
Old November 18th 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:23:18 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 05:07:21PM +0000, Albert wrote:
An old gentleman whom I know regularly travels from East Croydon to
Three Bridges and is intrigued by some devices (about six) which have
recently appeared beside the line at various points in the Croydon
area.
He describes them as about 8 feet high and looking like some kind of
'windmill'.
He is curious to know what they are for.
Does anyone here have any knowledge of them?

Quite a lot of trackside equipment on my daily commute (Thornton Heath -
Victoria) has over the last few years sprouted solar panels and
windmills. I presume that it's just a way of saving money on the
electrickery bill.

Thanks.

That was roughly my guess without seeing them, I was wondering if
anyone knew for sure.
Old November 19th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:

- Quite a lot of trackside equipment on my daily commute (Thornton
Heath -
- Victoria) has over the last few years sprouted solar panels and
- windmills. I presume that it's just a way of saving money on the
- electrickery bill.

And of ensuring independence of supply?

Old November 21st 06, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Albert" albert@se-england wrote in message

He describes them as about 8 feet high and looking like some kind of
'windmill'.

Something like this?

http://www.qhigroup.com/rail_lubricurve10_20.htm

D A Stocks

Old November 22nd 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There is an ever increasing requirement for trackside devices such as
lubricator monitors, rail temperature monitoring points, weather
stations and so on that have very modest power requirements and can
rely on solar/wind power to top up a rechargeable battery.

It's a far cheaper way of providing power for this type of equipment
than laying on a supply from the local electricity mains or from any
trackside supply. It also means that standard equipment types can be
deployed all over the network rather than having different types for
electrified and non electrified lines for example.

Even with the poor sunlight on a winters day can provide enough power
to cater for the equipment being served.

Richard