London Banter

-   -   The first bow-string arch bridge in Britain to carry a railway (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4690-first-bow-string-arch-bridge.html)

Chris Johns November 16th 06 01:00 PM

The first bow-string arch bridge in Britain to carry a railway

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Peter Fox wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in message
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=934

Rubbish. There is a bowstring arch bridge on the Sheffield Supertram system,
right in the middle of the city.

Thats outside of London tho, so TfT probably class it as abroad.
--
Chris Johns

BH Williams November 16th 06 02:42 PM

"Peter Fox" wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in message
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=934

Rubbish. There is a bowstring arch bridge on the Sheffield Supertram
system, right in the middle of the city.

Peter Fox

It also looks very similar to the structure which used to take the railway
from West Wylam to Scotswood, at Hagg Bank- that dates from the mid 19th
century, I believe. A search for photos of 'Wylam' and 'Peter Robinson'
should throw something up, as he seems to have taken hundreds there.
Brian

Paul Scott November 16th 06 07:21 PM

"BH Williams" wrote in message

"Peter Fox" wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in message
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=934

Rubbish. There is a bowstring arch bridge on the Sheffield Supertram
system, right in the middle of the city.

Peter Fox

It also looks very similar to the structure which used to take the railway
from West Wylam to Scotswood, at Hagg Bank- that dates from the mid 19th
century, I believe. A search for photos of 'Wylam' and 'Peter Robinson'
should throw something up, as he seems to have taken hundreds there.
Brian

A good source for NE structural images is 'Sine':

http://sine.ncl.ac.uk/view_image.asp...al_doc_id=4525

Paul S

Tom Anderson November 16th 06 07:30 PM

The first bow-string arch bridge in Britain to carry a railway

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Chris Game wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line somewhere up
near Penrith ?

There are several such bridges, some inverted.

Crumbs - how did that happen?

tom

--
THE POWER OF MATHS COMPELS YOU, THE POWER OF MATHS COMPELS YOU! -- Jon

Dave Arquati November 16th 06 09:21 PM

wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in message
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=934
So at Whitechapel the high level platforms are the Underground, and the low
level platforms will be the Overground.

Indeed. Does anyone know if they're going to keep the East London Line
branding once the extension is completed, or will it become just
another overground link?

Much info at:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=886

There will be new, standardised "London Overground" branding for the
completed ELLX (the East London Railway) and the ex-Silverlink lines
(the North London Railway). The colour theme is the essentially the
orange of the East London line, but on the map, all London Overground
services will be shown using a double line in the same manner as the DLR.

So the answer is, no, it won't be "just another" overground link, but
neither will it strictly keep the original ELL branding.

Also, from the link:

"Phase two will join the East London Railway to Clapham Junction and
will complete an orbital rail route around London on which London
Overground services will run, following the London 2012 Olympics."

Surely inaccurate? There won't be a single orbital rail route;
passengers will be able to complete an outer circle journey, but only
with a few changes: Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction, Willesden
Junction to Highbury & Islington, Highbury & Islington to Surrey Quays,
Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction.

I think it's just slightly sloppy wording - for "rail route", read
"railway".

The future North London Railway service pattern is still very much in
the works. For some period after NLL improvements but before GOBLIN
improvements, there will be 4tph from Clapham Junction to Stratford.
When the Primrose Hill route reopens to passenger traffic, those WLL
trains will divert to Barking instead, resulting in the changes you
identified (although you could get from CJ to Gospel Oak before needing
to change). The Queen's Park to Stratford via Primrose Hill service
appears to depend on the possible Bakerloo line re-extension to Watford
Junction and replacement of the Euston to Watford DC services.

--
Dave Arquati

Charles Ellson November 17th 06 12:39 AM

The first bow-string arch bridge in Britain to carry a railway

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line somewhere up
near Penrith ?

There are several such bridges, some inverted.

Crumbs - how did that happen?

Kids probably. It's not safe to leave anything unattended nowadays.
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|

BH Williams November 17th 06 06:06 AM

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line somewhere up
near Penrith ?

There are several such bridges, some inverted.

Crumbs - how did that happen?

Kids probably. It's not safe to leave anything unattended nowadays.
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
| Charles Ellson: charles_AT_ellson.demon.co.uk | | \\ // |
+---------------------------------------------------+ | |
| // \\ |
Alba gu brath |//___\\|

Erector held the drawing upside down.....
Brian

Chris Game November 17th 06 08:45 AM

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line
somewhere up near Penrith ?

There are several such bridges, some inverted.

Crumbs - how did that happen?

Kids probably. It's not safe to leave anything unattended
nowadays.

Erector held the drawing upside down.....

It's surprising they work upside down. And these Cumbrian
construction guys never could read a drawing!

--
Chris Game

"Hopefully the net-dwelling paranoid delusional conspiracy theorists
won't descend upon me " -- Chris Pratley, MSFT.

Mario Lanza November 17th 06 10:49 AM

Peter Fox wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in message
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=934

Rubbish. There is a bowstring arch bridge on the Sheffield Supertram system,
right in the middle of the city.

Peter Fox

Yeap, one quick search on Google can confirm this.

http://www.lusas.com/case/bridge/supertram.html

Paul Scott November 17th 06 11:02 AM

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

It also looks very similar to the structure which used to take the
railway from West Wylam to Scotswood, at Hagg Bank- that dates from the
mid 19th century, I believe. A search for photos of 'Wylam' and 'Peter
Robinson' should throw something up, as he seems to have taken hundreds
there.
Brian

A good source for NE structural images is 'Sine':

http://sine.ncl.ac.uk/view_image.asp...al_doc_id=4525

Paul S

The railway bridge at Wearmouth, Sunderland also shows as a bowstring. In
fact some research using google reveals that a vast number of arched bridges
are 'bowstring' i.e. the ends are tied. The Tyne Bridge (road) is recorded
as a bowstring arch - modelled on the West Wylam Railway bridge just up the
river...

Paul