Old November 16th 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default The first bow-string arch bridge in Britain to carry a railway

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line
somewhere up near Penrith ?

LOL! I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring up the
Keswick-Penrith line project!

There are several such bridges, some inverted. All in poor condition
though - accessible to bridleway traffic.

--
Chris Game

Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!
Old November 16th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Chris Game wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line somewhere up
near Penrith ?

There are several such bridges, some inverted.

Crumbs - how did that happen?

tom

--
THE POWER OF MATHS COMPELS YOU, THE POWER OF MATHS COMPELS YOU! -- Jon
Old November 17th 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line somewhere up
near Penrith ?

There are several such bridges, some inverted.

Crumbs - how did that happen?

Kids probably. It's not safe to leave anything unattended nowadays.
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
Old November 17th 06, 06:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

news

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line somewhere up
near Penrith ?

There are several such bridges, some inverted.

Crumbs - how did that happen?

Kids probably. It's not safe to leave anything unattended nowadays.
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
| Charles Ellson: charles_AT_ellson.demon.co.uk | | \\ // |
+---------------------------------------------------+ | |
| // \\ |
Alba gu brath |//___\\|

Erector held the drawing upside down.....
Brian

Old November 17th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line
somewhere up near Penrith ?

There are several such bridges, some inverted.

Crumbs - how did that happen?

Kids probably. It's not safe to leave anything unattended
nowadays.

Erector held the drawing upside down.....

It's surprising they work upside down. And these Cumbrian
construction guys never could read a drawing!

--
Chris Game

"Hopefully the net-dwelling paranoid delusional conspiracy theorists
won't descend upon me " -- Chris Pratley, MSFT.

Old November 17th 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Charles Ellson wrote:

Isn't there a yonks-old bowstring bridge on a disused line somewhere up
near Penrith ?

There are several such bridges, some inverted.

Crumbs - how did that happen?

Kids probably. It's not safe to leave anything unattended nowadays.

Erector held the drawing upside down.....

Aaah. I was thinking it was part of some sort of railway / rollercoaster
hybrid setup. That would have explained why it's now disused. Bloody HMRI
bedwetters.

tom

--
It is better to create badly than to appreciate well. -- Gareth Jones