Old November 16th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Vandalism at North Acton

quote
LUL : Service Disruption on the Central Line

The Central Line has a suspended service between North Acton Station
and Ealing Broadway Station in both directions.

This will affect journeys from 16:25 on 16/11/06 until further notice.

This is due to vandalism at North Acton Station.
/quote

Is there any information available as to what has happened?

Old November 16th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
quote
LUL : Service Disruption on the Central Line

The Central Line has a suspended service between North Acton Station
and Ealing Broadway Station in both directions.

This will affect journeys from 16:25 on 16/11/06 until further notice.

This is due to vandalism at North Acton Station.
/quote

Is there any information available as to what has happened?

Service was closed this morning, I vaugely remember the 06:xx travel
news saying that North Acton - Ealing and NA to Ruislip were suspended,
by 11:00 it was Ealing only, only minor delays then, however traction
was turned off approaching 11:30 at White City, no idea why as I got
off at shepherds bush and walked.

18:00 tonight, services were chaotic. One train every 4 minutes White
City - Hainhalt (one of them was a destination of "Hainhault", with no
"Via Newbury Park"! Change at Leytonstone for Epping, White City for
Ruislip. Packed travelling Eastbound at shepherds bush, so you can
imagine what Oxford Circus was like.

Old November 16th 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Nov 2006 09:10:12 -0800, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

quote
LUL : Service Disruption on the Central Line

The Central Line has a suspended service between North Acton Station
and Ealing Broadway Station in both directions.

This will affect journeys from 16:25 on 16/11/06 until further notice.

This is due to vandalism at North Acton Station.
/quote

Is there any information available as to what has happened?

No detail until tomorrow but a piece of wild speculation on my part is
that something to do with the signalling or power system was wrecked or
stolen [1] overnight. If it had been a relatively easy fix services
would not have been out for the time they have been. The Central Line
has been having a torrid time of it lately.

[1] I raise the stolen issue because Tramlink recently suffered theft of
parts of its electrical distribution and bonding system and that took
the network out for at least a day.

--
Paul C

Old November 16th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
[1] I raise the stolen issue because Tramlink recently suffered theft
of parts of its electrical distribution and bonding system and that
took the network out for at least a day.

There's a lot of it about. I was caught in the traffic chaos resulting
from *this* today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/6154406.stm
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old November 16th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

No detail until tomorrow but a piece of wild speculation on my part is
that something to do with the signalling or power system was wrecked or
stolen [1] overnight. If it had been a relatively easy fix services
would not have been out for the time they have been. The Central Line
has been having a torrid time of it lately.

[1] I raise the stolen issue because Tramlink recently suffered theft of
parts of its electrical distribution and bonding system and that took
the network out for at least a day.

The word is that some traction current cable went 'missing'

Old November 16th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tramlink recently suffered theft of
parts of its electrical distribution and bonding system

Who the hell would need that?
MetroNet? :-)

Old November 17th 06, 01:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

[1] I raise the stolen issue because Tramlink recently suffered theft
of parts of its electrical distribution and bonding system and that
took the network out for at least a day.

There's a lot of it about. I was caught in the traffic chaos resulting
from *this* today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/6154406.stm

Email from IT last week:

"Fibre cables serving Torrington Place and associated buildings were
severed earlier today by vandals intent on stealing copper, along with
various other cables types (telephone, building management etc.). This
resulted in a loss of network connectivity to Torrington Place, Brook
House, 188 Tottenham Court Road, the Heals building, and the Mullard Space
Science Laboratory."

Not entirely sure why Heals is connected to UCL's network, but still.
Happily, further down the email:

"The Police have made a number of arrests and have taken statements from
various UCL staff who saw some of the individuals leaving the empty NHS
building in which the damage was done."

tom

--
It's worth remembering that if you chain a thousand monkeys to a
thousand typewriters, they will all eventually die of starvation. --
Old November 17th 06, 01:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson quotes "Email from IT last week":
"Fibre cables serving Torrington Place and associated buildings were
severed earlier today by vandals intent on stealing copper, along with
various other cables types..."

In my taxonomy of malefactors those would be thieves, not vandals.
Vandalism is damage done for its own sake.
--
Mark Brader "Well, I didn't completely test it, and
Toronto of course there was a power failure the
Old November 17th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 Mark Brader wrote:

Tom Anderson quotes "Email from IT last week":
"Fibre cables serving Torrington Place and associated buildings were
severed earlier today by vandals intent on stealing copper, along with
various other cables types..."

In my taxonomy of malefactors those would be thieves, not vandals.
Vandalism is damage done for its own sake.

No, vandals according to today's Ealing Gazette, where it made the front
page. Apparently they were disturbed so cut the cables but didn't
succeed in getting away with them.

Vandals and would-be thieves.
--
Thoss
Old November 17th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Nov 2006 15:45:10 -0800, "alex_t"
wrote:

Tramlink recently suffered theft of
parts of its electrical distribution and bonding system

Who the hell would need that?
MetroNet? :-)

When I still lived in Newcastle in the eighties, it was commonplace
(i.e. happened several times a month) for the pikeys of the day to
steal huge lengths of signalling cable from certain sections of the
Metro, by attaching it to a land rover and pulling it all out of the
concrete troughs. I think the overhead lines were pulled down in a
similar way on occasion too.

I presume it got melted down for the copper because I can't imagine
who would want pre-used cable of that specification (it would be damn
obvious where it had come from).

No idea if it still happens as I no longer live there, I presume they
have either fortified the line or buried the cables better, or maybe
it is no longer economic to melt down copper cabling.