Old November 25th 06, 09:01 PM
Junior Member

Location: Kent & Hounslow
Default One charge or two at Waterloo?

I've just changed jobs and am still getting to grips with the vagaries of Oyster & the Underground. My question for those of you who know the system better than me is this:

I usually use a combination of either mainline train or Piccadilly plus Northern line to get to and from work, and my OH uses a mainline train and the W&C.

Sometimes after work we meet at Waterloo to get on a mainline train home together but there will be times when we're going out that we'll get onto another line (say, Jubilee) at Waterloo. When that happens, I won't exit at Waterloo and will just change lines on the same journey and be charged accordingly.

However, because there is no way to change from the W&C to the other lines without exiting through the W&C barrier and then entering through the next set of barriers to get to the other lines, would he be charged for two individual journeys or would Oyster recognise that it's a change of lines from W&C to Jubilee and just apply one charge?

Sorry if that sounds confusing or just plain daft but I'd appreciate any answers.

Andrea.
__________________
Anyone can brighten up a room - some do it by entering, others by leaving.

Old November 25th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrea,

This is a cut n' paste from the online Oyster Guides from TfLs website.
You'll only be charged once as the system recognises that you're making
a continuous journey:

What happens if I need to change stations during my journey?
Sometimes, you may need to exit through a ticket gate at a station and
re-enter, either at a nearby station or within the same station
complex..

Where such interchanges are shown on Tube and Travelcard maps, your
trip is considered to be a continuous journey, provided you move
directly between the gates. When you touch in as you re-enter the
station, the Entry Charge applied will take account of the fare paid so
far on your journey.

Provided you touch in at the start and touch out at the end of your
entire journey you will not be charged a maximum cash fare.

regards, Tim

--
AndreaC

Old November 26th 06, 07:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:01:59 +0000, AndreaC
wrote:

[...]

If he is using a Travelcard on his Oyster card it makes no difference
providing it is valid in Zone 1.

If he is using PAYG for Zone 1 and validates on entry and exit at each
stage of his trip the overall journey should be charged as one trip. The
key point is that the overall journey should be complete within 2 hours.
However if he opted to break his journey for a long period at Waterloo
then he would be charged for two trips.
--
Paul C

Old November 26th 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 08:29:45 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

However if he opted to break his journey for a long period at Waterloo
then he would be charged for two trips.

Presumably there's a specific length of time allowed to get between
the two gatelines in this and similar cases (Hammersmith springs to
mind as one I use quite often). Is it public domain information how
long is allowed?
Old November 26th 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

However if he opted to break his journey for a long period at Waterloo
then he would be charged for two trips.

Presumably there's a specific length of time allowed to get between
the two gatelines in this and similar cases (Hammersmith springs to
mind as one I use quite often). Is it public domain information how
long is allowed?

Well in this case it must be based on the expected time for two people to
meet 'under the clock' at Waterloo!

Paul

Old November 26th 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

However if he opted to break his journey for a long period at Waterloo
then he would be charged for two trips.

Presumably there's a specific length of time allowed to get between
the two gatelines in this and similar cases (Hammersmith springs to
mind as one I use quite often). Is it public domain information how
long is allowed?

No idea what it is these days for Out of Station Interchanges (OSI) for
PAYG. It used to be something like 30 minutes for magnetic tickets but
that could vary by OSI to reflect longer interchange times. I suspect it
may be overridden by the 2 hour maximum journey time limit.
--
Paul C

Old November 26th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
No idea what it is these days for Out of Station Interchanges (OSI) for
PAYG. It used to be something like 30 minutes for magnetic tickets but
that could vary by OSI to reflect longer interchange times. I suspect it
may be overridden by the 2 hour maximum journey time limit.

I believe it is 15 minutes.

Old November 26th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"TheOneKEA" wrote in news:1164561670.115824.139710
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Paul Corfield wrote:
No idea what it is these days for Out of Station Interchanges (OSI) for
PAYG. It used to be something like 30 minutes for magnetic tickets but
that could vary by OSI to reflect longer interchange times. I suspect it
may be overridden by the 2 hour maximum journey time limit.

I believe it is 15 minutes.

Thanks for this. All interesting.

I'm a smoker and am now using PAYG. I often do long journeys on the Jubilee
to the other, so it's good to know that I can get off at Waterloo for a
quick fag without being charged for two journeys. As long as I am back on
the system within 15 minutes, I guess, which is totally doable if I smoke
quickly enough.

Any other stations where this is possible? I guess Kings Cross/St Pancreas
would be one. Any more?
Old November 26th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
Thanks for this. All interesting.

I'm a smoker and am now using PAYG. I often do long journeys on the Jubilee
to the other, so it's good to know that I can get off at Waterloo for a
quick fag without being charged for two journeys. As long as I am back on
the system within 15 minutes, I guess, which is totally doable if I smoke
quickly enough.

Any other stations where this is possible? I guess Kings Cross/St Pancreas
would be one. Any more?

Not anymore - the direct behind-barrier route has removed the OSI
ranking for this particular station.

Old November 26th 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Nov 2006 09:21:10 -0800, "TheOneKEA"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
No idea what it is these days for Out of Station Interchanges (OSI) for
PAYG. It used to be something like 30 minutes for magnetic tickets but
that could vary by OSI to reflect longer interchange times. I suspect it
may be overridden by the 2 hour maximum journey time limit.

I believe it is 15 minutes.

Which would be enough to get a paper or a coffee, but not necessarily
enough to get a sandwich from Tesco. Cheers for the info.