Old February 7th 11, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Two Oyster pickups at one

I've got a mystery £6 "operational issue" credit, and a £5 top-up (so
that it activates online journey history) to pick up tomorrow. Will they
both leap aboard in one swipe?

And where is St Pancras (National Rail) - is that any of the KX/StP tube
barriers, or only the ones at the western ticket hall?

Old February 7th 11, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I've got a mystery £6 "operational issue" credit, and a £5 top-up (so that
it activates online journey history) to pick up tomorrow. Will they both
leap aboard in one swipe?

And where is St Pancras (National Rail) - is that any of the KX/StP tube
barriers, or only the ones at the western ticket hall?

That'll be one of the NR gatelines at St Pancras surely - which isn't much
use as you'll probably arrive on, or leave on an EMT train? I suspect you
might have to make a Thameslink journey from the low level station to pick
up your credits.

If I had a credit due I'd have a similar decision to make about Waterloo,
because I always arrive on a through ticket from outside the zones, so I'd
probably choose the Jubilee line.

At KX/St P there seem to be three separate LU barrier lines, Met/Circle/H&C,
Northern and Picc/Vic (they may have different names on printouts though).
Then there are the two NR, one for Kings Cross and one for St Pancras. All
5 have OSIs with each other (and Euston).

Paul S

Old February 7th 11, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:59:03 on
Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Paul Scott remarked:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I've got a mystery £6 "operational issue" credit, and a £5 top-up (so
that it activates online journey history) to pick up tomorrow. Will
they both leap aboard in one swipe?

And where is St Pancras (National Rail) - is that any of the KX/StP
tube barriers, or only the ones at the western ticket hall?

That'll be one of the NR gatelines at St Pancras surely - which isn't
much use as you'll probably arrive on, or leave on an EMT train? I
suspect you might have to make a Thameslink journey from the low level
station to pick up your credits.

I've been having second thoughts about selecting St Pancras - but it was
the only entry for St Pancras and that's where I'll be.

If the EMT platforms have Oyster, and I try "touching out" I wonder if
that might work? Or would it produce an unresolved journey.

sigh Why can't they just make pickup work from a ticket machine.

If I had a credit due I'd have a similar decision to make about
Waterloo, because I always arrive on a through ticket from outside the
zones, so I'd probably choose the Jubilee line.

At KX/St P there seem to be three separate LU barrier lines,
Met/Circle/H&C, Northern and Picc/Vic (they may have different names on
printouts though). Then there are the two NR, one for Kings Cross and
one for St Pancras. All 5 have OSIs with each other (and Euston).

So maybe I should have selected Kings Cross, and not St Pancras, then I
might have got one of the tube barrier lines?
Old February 7th 11, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:59:03 on

I've been having second thoughts about selecting St Pancras - but it was
the only entry for St Pancras and that's where I'll be.

If the EMT platforms have Oyster, and I try "touching out" I wonder if
that might work? Or would it produce an unresolved journey.

I expect it would definitely be seen as an un-started journey, yes.

sigh Why can't they just make pickup work from a ticket machine.

Seems too obvious, doesn't it.

At KX/St P there seem to be three separate LU barrier lines,
Met/Circle/H&C, Northern and Picc/Vic (they may have different names on
printouts though). Then there are the two NR, one for Kings Cross and one
for St Pancras. All 5 have OSIs with each other (and Euston).

So maybe I should have selected Kings Cross, and not St Pancras, then I
might have got one of the tube barrier lines?

AIUI yes, you'd have probably seen the three choices, and probably Kings
Cross [NR] next to them.

Paul S

Old February 7th 11, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:07:44 on
Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Paul Corfield remarked:
On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 16:53:51 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

I've got a mystery £6 "operational issue" credit, and a £5 top-up (so
that it activates online journey history) to pick up tomorrow. Will they
both leap aboard in one swipe?

No idea but I suspect it rather depends if they are both programmed for
the same gateline.

I did ask for the same gateline for both.

And where is St Pancras (National Rail) - is that any of the KX/StP tube
barriers, or only the ones at the western ticket hall?

I would imagine that it is actually the Thameslink gateline in St
Pancras itself.

The LU Kings Cross ticket halls are (or were) Tube (the old one we all
know and love), Western (over the Met / Circle lines)

which is in St Pancras

and Northern (the new one linked to St Pancras Int).

which as you say feels a bit like it's in St Pancras, even if it's
actually the KX side of the road.

Oh and don't forget Pentonville Road.

Indeed. Which reminds me of the Oyster validators that used to be at the
end of the tunnel. I don't suppose you can pick things up from them?

Old February 7th 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I've got a mystery £6 "operational issue" credit, and a £5 top-up (so
that it activates online journey history) to pick up tomorrow. Will they
both leap aboard in one swipe?

No idea but I suspect it rather depends if they are both programmed for
the same gateline.

I did ask for the same gateline for both.

And where is St Pancras (National Rail) - is that any of the KX/StP tube
barriers, or only the ones at the western ticket hall?

I would imagine that it is actually the Thameslink gateline in St
Pancras itself.

I concur. (If you just wanted to pick them up rather than having to
faff around getting the collection location changed, you could take
the Thameslink from St P to Farringdon I spose, before changing onto
the Underground.)

The LU Kings Cross ticket halls are (or were) Tube (the old one we all
know and love), Western (over the Met / Circle lines)

which is in St Pancras

Though the LU station is called "Kings Cross St Pancras".

and Northern (the new one linked to St Pancras Int).

which as you say feels a bit like it's in St Pancras, even if it's
actually the KX side of the road.

Oh and don't forget Pentonville Road.

Indeed. Which reminds me of the Oyster validators that used to be at the
end of the tunnel. I don't suppose you can pick things up from them?

I rather doubt that they're still there (or if they are, that they're
still operational) - their purpose was to provide a touch-in/out point
for people coming from/ going to the now defunct Thameslink platforms.

At other stations which just have standalone Oyster validators (as
opposed to gates), they can be used as a collection point for Oyster
'products' - but collection is only ever possible as part of a
journey, where they form the start or end point of said journey.

(I dare say that collection can also be made at the pink 'interchange
validators' at places such as H&I in the middle of journeys, but I
haven't tested this and probably shouldn't mention it to avoid
complicating the issue!)
Old February 7th 11, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote on 07 February 2011 19:52:09 ...
In , at 19:07:44 on
Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Paul remarked:
wrote:

[...]

That's not what he said; he just said it was *linked* to SPI, which I
took to mean that it was in KX but linked to SPI. Since it's going to be
directly under the new main entrance to King's Cross, I think your
feeling will be short-lived.
--
Richard J.
Old February 7th 11, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
12:18:27 on Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Mizter T remarked:

And where is St Pancras (National Rail) - is that any of the KX/StP tube
barriers, or only the ones at the western ticket hall?

I would imagine that it is actually the Thameslink gateline in St
Pancras itself.

I concur. (If you just wanted to pick them up rather than having to
faff around getting the collection location changed, you could take
the Thameslink from St P to Farringdon I spose, before changing onto
the Underground.)

What happens if I touch in, go through the barriers, u-turn and touch
out; then touch in again at the tube station. Would the OSI logic deal
with that OK?

It's the kind of thing one might do if you found all the Thameslink
trains were cancelled because of the wrong kind of knitting, only once
you've reached the platform.
Old February 7th 11, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:46:54 on Mon, 7
Feb 2011, Richard J. remarked:
and Northern (the new one linked to St Pancras Int).

which as you say feels a bit like it's in St Pancras, even if it's
actually the KX side of the road.

That's not what he said; he just said it was *linked* to SPI, which I
took to mean that it was in KX but linked to SPI. Since it's going to
be directly under the new main entrance to King's Cross, I think your
feeling will be short-lived.

You will always be able to get there from St Pancras without even seeing
the main building of Kings Cross. If you use the northern most
escalators by the Kent Lines escalators, then it "feels" very much like
an underground ticket office *for* St Pancras.

Which reminds me, do the Kent platforms have Oyster (for trips to/from
Stratford perhaps).

Old February 7th 11, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:37:37 on
Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Paul Corfield remarked:

The LU Kings Cross ticket halls are (or were) Tube (the old one we all
know and love), Western (over the Met / Circle lines)

which is in St Pancras

Oh dear. Why do I reply to Roland Perry? It is not in St Pancras. It is
underneath the front undercroft. The boundary to St Pancras is very
clearly where the arches and very large doors are - at the western end
of the Western ticket hall..

I spend too much of my life having to look at lease plans of tube
stations showing property boundaries so I tend to know what I am
referring to.

I do have to object to this somewhat, as the western ticket hall is much
more within the rectangular footprint of St Pancras (which I would also
think the general public understood to go all the way to the main road)
than it is anywhere near Kings Cross.

The northern ticket hall will be within the KX footprint once it's all
finished, there's no doubt about that.