Old December 13th 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster + Barclaycard (or Barclays Connect) from mid-2007

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=982

http://www.newsroom.barclays.co.uk/c...2&NewsAreaID=2

Barclaycard credit cards will incorporate two contactless (RFID)
payment functions - Oyster along with Visa's new 'Wave and Pay' system
for payments up to £10 (a quick transaction without need for a PIN
intended as an alternative to cash).

From the TfL press release:

"Following a trial in February 2007, it is expected the first
Barclaycards to include Oyster will be available from mid-2007.

The deal gives exclusive rights for Oyster to be placed on Barclaycard
Visa and Barclays Visa Connect cards for the next three years."

Barclays Visa Connect being the name for the bank's debit card issued
to current account customers.

What isn't made clear is whether said credit and debit cards will only
be issued to people in Greater London. Nonetheless I'm sure many people
will find this convenient. I foresee it being a success (as long as
there are no technical problems) and once Barclays loses exclusivity I
assume that many other banks will get in on the act.

It does however look like upcoming systems such as Visa's 'Wave and
Pay' has totally buried the on-ice plan that solo Oyster cards would be
used for small convenience purchases.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is that some London
Boroughs already issue combination smartcards with an integrated Oyster
function [1] [2] [3] [4]. I'm not sure how far this has actually been
implemented on the ground (and Greenwich for one hasn't yet started
utilising the leisure card function).

-----
[1] Your Borough issued smartcard and Oyster card -
Croydon/Greenwich/Lewisham (PDF)
http://www.croydon.gov.uk/communityp...lic/211782.pdf

[2] Lewisham Smartcard info
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/LeisureAn.../Smartcard.htm

[3] Croydon Smartcard info
http://www.croydon.gov.uk/communityp...ues/smartcards

[4] Greenwich Smartcard info
http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwic...yourSmartcard/

Old December 13th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

What isn't made clear is whether said credit and debit cards will only
be issued to people in Greater London. Nonetheless I'm sure many people
.will find this convenient. I foresee it being a success (as long as
there are no technical problems) and once Barclays loses exclusivity I
assume that many other banks will get in on the act.

I'm not quite so convinced.

There have been may attempts to introduce pay cards
and (for whatever reason) the man on the Clapham
Omnibus has decined to use them.

It does however look like upcoming systems such as Visa's 'Wave and
Pay' has totally buried the on-ice plan that solo Oyster cards would be
used for small convenience purchases.

I thought that this had been abandoned due to the
high per transaction cost that the system required
to be profitable.

I also note:
"will allow customers to pay for low cost items such
as coffee and newspapers quickly and securely".

I for one cannot see what is secure about this
method of payment.

tim

Old December 13th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
payment functions - Oyster along with Visa's new 'Wave and Pay' system
for payments up to £10 (a quick transaction without need for a PIN
intended as an alternative to cash).

Lovely. Install a sufficiently high gain RFID "wave and collect"
thingy to match the cards, and put it somewhere with lots of
passers-by. It'd be like sucking money out of the air...

#Paul
Old December 14th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is that some London
Boroughs already issue combination smartcards with an integrated Oyster
function [1] [2] [3] [4]. I'm not sure how far this has actually been
implemented on the ground (and Greenwich for one hasn't yet started
utilising the leisure card function).

I live in Lewisham and had no idea about this scheme. I shall
investigate; it'd be great to have my library and Oyster cards on the
same card.

Patrick