Old December 18th 06, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What station is this?

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:58:51 -0600, "Tristán White"
wrote:

The missus and I just watched a rather fascinating film called "It Happened
Here", which is a mockumentary, made in 1958 by two teenagers (one was 18,
the other 16) although released in 1966, about what would have happened had
the worst happened, and Hitler succeeded and invaded Britain and made it
part of the Reich.

There can't have been too many Routemasters in 1958, only the
prototypes existed.
Old December 18th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ken Wheatley wrote:

There can't have been too many Routemasters in 1958, only the
prototypes existed.

Ken, this is a painful subject for me! As a schoolboy, I spent several
Saturdays 'bashing' RTWs. Unfortunately the iPod generation think that
***all*** red London doubledeckers with rear platforms from RT1 onwards
were called "Routemasters". The Wikipedia entry on RMs ruefully notes
this fact. They are aided and abetted in this by the media. I once saw
a photo in the Guardian of a wartime RT with the caption "a blacked out
early routemaster" (lower case 'r').

You can accept it and grow old gracefully, or you can fight it tooth
and nail like I do...

Old December 18th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 wrote:

wrote:
Ken Wheatley wrote:

There can't have been too many Routemasters in 1958, only the
prototypes existed.

[later]

Someone has pointed out that the film was actually shot at various
times between 1958 and 1966 when it was released.

Here's the definitive answer about the bus, from Kevin Brownlow's book
"How It Happened Here". Brownlow was co-director and co-producer of the
film, with Andrew Mollo, and is now a noted film historian.

The Parliament Square march-past scene which featured the bus was filmed
on 1 October 1961. After describing how they got no help from the
police, Brownlow says:

"The traffic had to keep moving, and we would have to shoot in the
gaps... As the band crashed out the Lippe-Detttmold Marsch, the column
moved forward in perfect step. When our wartime bus, with the Picture
Post eyes on the front, moved into position, the scene was almost
hallucinatory."

There's a b&w photo of the bus, with a contingent of "Wehrmacht troops
and the Big Ben tower behind. The bus is an AEC, number DLU92, with the
destination indicator saying
159
STREATHAM COMMON
LAMBETH BDG BRIXTON

And the cover has a close-up in colour of the driver cab, with a pair of
identification plates reading "AK 15".
--
Thoss

Old December 18th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:55:12 -0000, wrote:

Ken Wheatley wrote:

There can't have been too many Routemasters in 1958, only the
prototypes existed.

Ken, this is a painful subject for me! As a schoolboy, I spent several
Saturdays 'bashing' RTWs. Unfortunately the iPod generation think that
***all*** red London doubledeckers with rear platforms from RT1 onwards
were called "Routemasters". The Wikipedia entry on RMs ruefully notes
this fact.

So...change it. That is what Wikipedia is for!
:-)

--
Fig
Old December 18th 06, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message op.tkrq14r3m4iaeb@dell, Fig writes

Ken Wheatley wrote:

There can't have been too many Routemasters in 1958, only the
prototypes existed.

Ken, this is a painful subject for me! As a schoolboy, I spent several
Saturdays 'bashing' RTWs. Unfortunately the iPod generation think that
***all*** red London doubledeckers with rear platforms from RT1 onwards
were called "Routemasters". The Wikipedia entry on RMs ruefully notes
this fact.

So...change it. That is what Wikipedia is for!
:-)

And if the film was based on the wartime period, routemasters did not
exist than ?
--
martyn dawe
Old December 18th 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

martyn dawe wrote in
:

Ken Wheatley wrote:

There can't have been too many Routemasters in 1958, only the
prototypes existed.

Ken, this is a painful subject for me! As a schoolboy, I spent several
Saturdays 'bashing' RTWs. Unfortunately the iPod generation think that
***all*** red London doubledeckers with rear platforms from RT1 onwards
were called "Routemasters". The Wikipedia entry on RMs ruefully notes
this fact.

So...change it. That is what Wikipedia is for!
:-)

And if the film was based on the wartime period, routemasters did not
exist than ?

I think what he means is that I was wrong to refer to it as a
"routemaster" because the term only applied post 1958.

But as it happened, since the film was made post 1958 anyway, they probably
*were* routemasters.
Old December 18th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I don't
know the number of the platform.

Its Platform 1