Old January 2nd 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Happy New Year... & thanks for getting me there and back!

congokid wrote:

In article , Steve Fitzgerald
] writes

Later, the walk to Victoria helped get the circulation going again and
after a 20 minute or so wait outside the tube station while access was
controlled to prevent overcrowding, and a squeeze to get to the
platform, we were sitting on a train to Earls Court. As we disembarked
here our Wimbledon service rolled in. Home before 2am, which I thought
was very good in the circumstances.

As others have indicated tube staff really did themselves, and the
capital proud on New Year's Eve. We saw the fireworks from the
junction of Victoria Embankment and Westminster Bridge, and made our
way straight to St. James' Park via Victoria Street immediately after
they finished. The majority seemed to be heading towards Victoria, and
we hoped that westbound trains would arrive near empty. The queuing
system outside was very well organised, and clearly designated, with
both police and LU staff on hand. On the platform the excellent
announcer was doing a sterling job of informing, cautioning and
entertaining - and even managed to raise a laugh when suggesting that
the person who pulled the handle on a Circle Line train - delaying it
for five minutes - should be "thumped" if they ever did it again! We
moved to the far end of the platform, which rather amazingly was
completely empty, and managed to get seats on the train without rushing
- and were back in Richmond for 1:30.

Anyway - enough rambling - thanks for all those who made the night
possible by driving trains, running stations and manning queues.

Robert