London Banter

-   -   Is Edinburgh on the Tube? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4838-edinburgh-tube.html)

Mike Cawood, HND BIT January 2nd 07 10:23 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Ian F. January 2nd 07 10:26 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote in message

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.

It's the silly season when PRs make up stuff like this to interest editors
who are struggling to fill papers but are devoid of any real hard content.
Don't treat it too seriously.

Ian
(a PR!)

JNugent January 2nd 07 11:27 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.

For example, ""What is the entry fee for Brighton?"
becomes understandable when one remembers it was asked
in an rea where the entry fee is £8.

Ian Jelf January 2nd 07 11:36 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Ian F.
writes
"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote in message

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.

It's the silly season when PRs make up stuff like this to interest editors
who are struggling to fill papers but are devoid of any real hard content.
Don't treat it too seriously.

As I've written here before, the one about Windsor Castle and Heathrow
really does happen (and not infrequently, too).

I worked in a Tourist Information Centre for five years and this sort of
things is actually quite plentiful! (And by no means confined to US
visitors, as is sometimes implied. People from other parts of Britain
going to London get some *very* strange ideas about the Capital and its
geography!)

Oh and donning my broadcasting head in place of my tourism one, the
"Silly Season" in journalism has just started. It runs through until
late December 2007.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

The Jinx January 2nd 07 12:37 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.

No just bloody stupid.

--
Nathan

Brimstone January 2nd 07 12:41 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

The Jinx wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.

No just bloody stupid.

Only if you know the answer.

Mark Goodge January 2nd 07 01:23 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:41:02 -0000, Brimstone put finger to keyboard
and typed:

The Jinx wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.

No just bloody stupid.

Only if you know the answer.

Well, many of the questions are daft, not because they have an obvious
answer but because they are based on faulty premises. For example, "Is
the British Museum closed during the winter?" would be a valid
question even though nearly everyone knows that the answer is "no".
But "Is Wales closed during the winter?" can only be asked by someone
who doesn't know what Wales is, and that's what makes it daft - it's
not daft because they don't know the answer, it's daft because they
don't know the meaning of the question.

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

Mark
--
Visit: http://www.FridayFun.net - jokes, lyrics and ringtones
"And so we're told this is the golden age"

Jonathan Morton January 2nd 07 02:02 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

The Jinx wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.
Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.
No just bloody stupid.

Only if you know the answer.

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

The one about the May Day demonstration is permissible. After all,
so-called "May Day" isn't usually on the first of the month - and at the
Universities May Week is in June.

Regards

Jonathan

Jerry January 2nd 07 02:08 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

house.net...

The Jinx wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

[...]

Unless you'd consider her assets to be national treasures...

Mark

allan tracy January 2nd 07 02:09 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Yeah, I lose count of hopeless tourists getting off the London train at
International and asking which way to the Marriot Five Ways.

Stupid irriots!

Tim Roll-Pickering January 2nd 07 06:01 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Jonathan Morton wrote:

The one about the May Day demonstration is permissible. After all,
so-called "May Day" isn't usually on the first of the month - and at the
Universities May Week is in June.

Is it? I've never noticed a "May Week" at any of the universities I've been
at. Also most have been rearranging their term structures so there's very
little term time in June now.

Paul Terry January 2nd 07 06:30 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Tim Roll-Pickering
writes

Jonathan Morton wrote:

The one about the May Day demonstration is permissible. After all,
so-called "May Day" isn't usually on the first of the month - and at the
Universities May Week is in June.

Is it? I've never noticed a "May Week" at any of the universities I've been
at.

AFAIR, only Cambridge has a "May Week" - originally in May, before the
exams, but now in June after exams. Even there, some colleges prefer
"June event" to the more traditional "May ball". The Oxford equivalent
is the Commem. ball.
--
Paul Terry

solar penguin January 2nd 07 06:54 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Mark Goodge wrote:

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

IMHO "Is Edinburgh in Glasgow?" is a valid question, even though the
answer is "No."

Charles Ellson January 2nd 07 06:56 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:26:23 -0000, "Ian F."
wrote:

"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote in message

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.

It's the silly season when PRs make up stuff like this to interest editors
who are struggling to fill papers but are devoid of any real hard content.
Don't treat it too seriously.

It doesn't even look as if it is "made up" but merely nicked from
other sources who did likewise in previous months when the news was a
bit quiet; most of the "daft questions" have been reported elsewhere
for some years.

nightjar January 2nd 07 06:57 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

"solar penguin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mark Goodge wrote:

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

IMHO "Is Edinburgh in Glasgow?" is a valid question, even though the
answer is "No."

They're north of Watford aren't they?

Colin Bignell

Charles Ellson January 2nd 07 07:04 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

The Jinx wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.
Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.
No just bloody stupid.
Only if you know the answer.

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

The one about the May Day demonstration is permissible. After all,
so-called "May Day" isn't usually on the first of the month - and at the
Universities May Week is in June.

When in many places the May blossom will have just come out.

John Rowland January 2nd 07 07:08 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

solar penguin wrote:

IMHO "Is Edinburgh in Glasgow?" is a valid question, even though the
answer is "No."

Quite. After all, the City Of Westminster is in London.

Bruce January 2nd 07 07:10 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Mark Goodge wrote:

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

IMHO "Is Edinburgh in Glasgow?" is a valid question, even though the
answer is "No."

They're north of Watford aren't they?

I believe so. They're a bit like Inverness, some way south of Kirkwall.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

NM January 2nd 07 07:39 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Mark Goodge wrote:

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

IMHO "Is Edinburgh in Glasgow?" is a valid question, even though the
answer is "No."

They're north of Watford aren't they?

I believe so. They're a bit like Inverness, some way south of Kirkwall.
--

Inverness is in the Tundra isn't it.

Ian Jelf January 2nd 07 07:53 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Bruce
writes

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"solar penguin" wrote in message
roups.com...
Mark Goodge wrote:

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

IMHO "Is Edinburgh in Glasgow?" is a valid question, even though the
answer is "No."

They're north of Watford aren't they?

I believe so. They're a bit like Inverness, some way south of Kirkwall.

Lerwick's way up North, though, isn't it? ;-)

Bruce January 2nd 07 08:37 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Bruce
writes

Mark Goodge wrote:

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

IMHO "Is Edinburgh in Glasgow?" is a valid question, even though the
answer is "No."
They're north of Watford aren't they?

I believe so. They're a bit like Inverness, some way south of Kirkwall.

Lerwick's way up North, though, isn't it? ;-)

Yes it is, about 100 miles. Flights from Kirkwall to Sumburgh take 35
minutes.

Charles Ellson January 2nd 07 09:11 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:08:14 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

solar penguin wrote:

IMHO "Is Edinburgh in Glasgow?" is a valid question, even though the
answer is "No."

Quite. After all, the City Of Westminster is in London.

Or (in another context) isn't, but Edinburgh is not in any way within
Glasgow. Bearing in mind that a lot of these questions come from
nationals of a country where for much of the population the next state
is "here be dragons" territory (see also traditional references
concerning "Watford" and "Calais"), it is no surprise that they are
asked.

Christopher A.Lee January 2nd 07 09:25 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

wrote:

solar penguin wrote:

IMHO "Is Edinburgh in Glasgow?" is a valid question, even though the
answer is "No."

Quite. After all, the City Of Westminster is in London.

Or (in another context) isn't, but Edinburgh is not in any way within
Glasgow. Bearing in mind that a lot of these questions come from
nationals of a country where for much of the population the next state
is "here be dragons" territory (see also traditional references
concerning "Watford" and "Calais"), it is no surprise that they are
asked.

When I first arrived on this side of the pond I got so many "are you
English? I went there for my vacation". "Oh, where did you go?"
"Edingurgh".

Also from a waiter in a cheap restaurant "I can't place the accent but
you speak English real good for a foreigner". "Thank you, you speak it
really well for an American".

Colin Rosenstiel January 2nd 07 11:19 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Jonathan Morton wrote:

The one about the May Day demonstration is permissible. After
all, so-called "May Day" isn't usually on the first of the month -
and at the Universities May Week is in June.

Is it? I've never noticed a "May Week" at any of the universities
I've been at.

AFAIR, only Cambridge has a "May Week" - originally in May, before
the exams, but now in June after exams. Even there, some colleges
prefer "June event" to the more traditional "May ball". The Oxford
equivalent is the Commem. ball.

May week can sometimes start in May, if Easter is early enough. It can
also get perilously close to June.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel January 2nd 07 11:19 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In article ,
(Bruce) wrote:

They're north of Watford aren't they?

I believe so. They're a bit like Inverness, some way south of
Kirkwall.

My favourite road sign for challenging people's assumptions is the one in
Thurso for "Inverness and the South". :-)

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Steve Walker January 3rd 07 09:41 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Charles Ellson
writes

Or (in another context) isn't, but Edinburgh is not in any way within
Glasgow. Bearing in mind that a lot of these questions come from
nationals of a country where for much of the population the next state
is "here be dragons" territory (see also traditional references
concerning "Watford" and "Calais"), it is no surprise that they are
asked.

And, to be fair, England is about the same size as the median US state,
the UK about the same size as a large one. Parochialism works both ways,
and laughing at foreigners who misunderstand our geography is in itself
indicative of a fairly inward looking attitude. I wonder how many people
in the UK are unsure of the difference (or distance) between Washington
State and Washington DC?

"The Difference Between America and England is that Americans think 100
years is a long time, while the English think 100 miles is a long way"

The quote from the article was actually "What Tube line runs to
Edinburgh?". Less dumb if what the questioner actually meant was "which
tube line gets me to Kings Cross to connect with the train to
Edinburgh", or "I'm going to Edinburgh, which way out of this ********?"

--
Steve Walker

martyn dawe January 3rd 07 12:58 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Steve Walker
writes
In message , Charles Ellson
writes

[...]

In England we think 1000 years is a short time, however only native
Americans have That much history , for the rest their history is much
shorter.
--
martyn dawe

Ian Jelf January 3rd 07 02:09 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Steve Walker
writes
And, to be fair, England is about the same size as the median US state,
the UK about the same size as a large one. Parochialism works both
ways, and laughing at foreigners who misunderstand our geography is in
itself indicative of a fairly inward looking attitude. I wonder how
many people in the UK are unsure of the difference (or distance)
between Washington State and Washington DC?

Quite a number, I should think. Furthermore, few I suspect would have
any idea of distances between - say- New York City and Washington DC.

"The Difference Between America and England is that Americans think 100
years is a long time, while the English think 100 miles is a long way"

I *do* like that! :-)) Is it your quote, Steve?!

The quote from the article was actually "What Tube line runs to
Edinburgh?". Less dumb if what the questioner actually meant was "which
tube line gets me to Kings Cross to connect with the train to Edinburgh",

I bet they didn't mean that, though! I once saw a spoof tube Map
somewhere entitles "Keep London Tidy: give this map to an American"
which had places like Edinburgh and Brighton on the map. My one memory
was that Mill Hill east was labelled "Balmoral"!

or "I'm going to Edinburgh, which way out of this ********?"

At the risk of rising to the bait, London is anything but a "********"
in my view! ;-)

Steve Walker January 3rd 07 02:46 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Ian Jelf
writes
In message , Steve Walker
writes
And, to be fair, England is about the same size as the median US
state, the UK about the same size as a large one. Parochialism works
both ways, and laughing at foreigners who misunderstand our geography
is in itself indicative of a fairly inward looking attitude. I wonder
how many people in the UK are unsure of the difference (or distance)
between Washington State and Washington DC?

Quite a number, I should think. Furthermore, few I suspect would have
any idea of distances between - say- New York City and Washington DC.

Exactly.

"The Difference Between America and England is that Americans think
100 years is a long time, while the English think 100 miles is a long
way"

I *do* like that! :-)) Is it your quote, Steve?!

No, it's, Earle Hitchner, whoever he is.

or "I'm going to Edinburgh, which way out of this ********?"

At the risk of rising to the bait, London is anything but a "********"
in my view! ;-)

I'd say much the same about any large built-up area. The only reason why
central Swindon, for example, is better than central London is that
there's much further to run to get out of London...

--
Steve Walker

Nick Pedley January 3rd 07 03:02 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
Jonathan Morton wrote:

The one about the May Day demonstration is permissible. After all,
so-called "May Day" isn't usually on the first of the month - and at the
Universities May Week is in June.

Is it? I've never noticed a "May Week" at any of the universities I've
been at. Also most have been rearranging their term structures so there's
very little term time in June now.

Judging by my cousins timetable they have very little termtime in ANY month!

Nick

Ian Jelf January 3rd 07 03:45 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Steve Walker
writes
In message , Ian Jelf
writes
"The Difference Between America and England is that Americans think
100 years is a long time, while the English think 100 miles is a long

I *do* like that! :-)) Is it your quote, Steve?!

No, it's, Earle Hitchner, whoever he is.

US/Irish author and columnist, I believe.

or "I'm going to Edinburgh, which way out of this ********?"

At the risk of rising to the bait, London is anything but a "********"
in my view! ;-)

I'd say much the same about any large built-up area.

Ah, then as a lover of towns, that's where we'd disagree.

The only reason why central Swindon, for example, is better than
central London is that there's much further to run to get out of
London...

If I were to tell you that I do walking tours of Swindon....... (As
well as a lot of other "unlikely" places.)

Nick Pedley January 3rd 07 04:22 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Ian F.
writes
"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote in message

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.

It's the silly season when PRs make up stuff like this to interest editors
who are struggling to fill papers but are devoid of any real hard content.
Don't treat it too seriously.

As I've written here before, the one about Windsor Castle and Heathrow
really does happen (and not infrequently, too).

I worked in a Tourist Information Centre for five years and this sort of
things is actually quite plentiful! (And by no means confined to US
visitors, as is sometimes implied. People from other parts of Britain
going to London get some *very* strange ideas about the Capital and its
geography!)

As some of you may be aware I work on that big white wheel in central London
and part of the job includes answering questions as best as we can. Trouble
is that some of them are, well, tricky*.....

"What side of the river is Westminster Bridge?"
"Why don't you put a clock up on a big tower so people can see the time?"
"It's one o'clock. Why did the bell only ring once?"
"I never knew Paris was so close to London that we could see the Eiffel
Tower from the top of the wheel!"
"Do those boatrides take you on the river?"

On a railway related note, try directing people to Waterloo or Westminster
stations (both about 400m away) when they're too lazy to walk there.
"Where's the nearest cab stand?" is a common response from North American
accented lard-arses, "I'm not gonna walk all that way, it's too hard on the
feet".

Nick
*Tricky to answer without cracking up!

Chris Johns January 3rd 07 05:12 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Nick Pedley wrote:

As some of you may be aware I work on that big white wheel in central London
and part of the job includes answering questions as best as we can. Trouble
is that some of them are, well, tricky*.....

"What side of the river is Westminster Bridge?"
"Why don't you put a clock up on a big tower so people can see the time?"
"It's one o'clock. Why did the bell only ring once?"
"I never knew Paris was so close to London that we could see the Eiffel
Tower from the top of the wheel!"
"Do those boatrides take you on the river?"

I wonder how many times the tourist information centre in Leeds gets asked
"how do I get to the castle?"
--
Chris Johns

Mark Goodge January 3rd 07 05:28 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:22:16 -0000, Nick Pedley put finger to keyboard
and typed:

As some of you may be aware I work on that big white wheel in central London
and part of the job includes answering questions as best as we can. Trouble
is that some of them are, well, tricky*.....

"I never knew Paris was so close to London that we could see the Eiffel
Tower from the top of the wheel!"

At the risk of asking another tricky question, what is it that they're
seeing that prompts this remark?

"Do those boatrides take you on the river?"

Well, they could be on a lake.

On a railway related note, try directing people to Waterloo or Westminster
stations (both about 400m away) when they're too lazy to walk there.
"Where's the nearest cab stand?" is a common response from North American
accented lard-arses, "I'm not gonna walk all that way, it's too hard on the
feet".

Keeps the cabbies happy, no doubt.

Mark
--
Visit: http://www.GoogleFun.info - fun and games with Google!
"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

John B January 3rd 07 06:03 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Nick Pedley wrote:
[about lazy tourists at the Dome]
On a railway related note, try directing people to Waterloo or Westminster
stations (both about 400m away) when they're too lazy to walk there.
"Where's the nearest cab stand?" is a common response from North American
accented lard-arses, "I'm not gonna walk all that way, it's too hard on the
feet".

I was rather amused when getting the Tube from Oxford Circus to
Waterloo at about 11AM on New Year's Eve: a large group of weighty
North Americans bustled onto the train at Charing Cross, only to
unbustle again at Embankment.

Sadly, I didn't get to see if they were using paper single tickets...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Peter Masson January 3rd 07 06:13 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

"John B" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nick Pedley wrote:
[about lazy tourists at the Dome]
On a railway related note, try directing people to Waterloo or

Westminster
stations (both about 400m away) when they're too lazy to walk there.
"Where's the nearest cab stand?" is a common response from North

American
accented lard-arses, "I'm not gonna walk all that way, it's too hard on

the
feet".

I was rather amused when getting the Tube from Oxford Circus to
Waterloo at about 11AM on New Year's Eve: a large group of weighty
North Americans bustled onto the train at Charing Cross, only to
unbustle again at Embankment.

Sadly, I didn't get to see if they were using paper single tickets...

I suppose that they could have been changing to the District/Circle at
Embankment. Of course, a Londoner would have gone out of the side door of
Charing Cross Main Line, and walked down Villiers Street (or along the
walkway and down the steps by Embankment).

Peter

John Rowland January 3rd 07 06:38 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Mark Goodge wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:22:16 -0000, Nick Pedley put finger to keyboard
and typed:

"I never knew Paris was so close to London that we could see the
Eiffel Tower from the top of the wheel!"

At the risk of asking another tricky question, what is it that they're
seeing that prompts this remark?

The Blackpool Tower, of course!

(Actually, Crystal Palace television transmitter.)

JNugent January 3rd 07 07:25 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

John Rowland wrote:
Mark Goodge wrote:

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:22:16 -0000, Nick Pedley put finger to keyboard
and typed:

"I never knew Paris was so close to London that we could see the
Eiffel Tower from the top of the wheel!"

At the risk of asking another tricky question, what is it that they're
seeing that prompts this remark?

The Blackpool Tower, of course!

(Actually, Crystal Palace television transmitter.)

It had to be.

Did they ask why there were two of them?

Nick Pedley January 3rd 07 07:58 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

"John B" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nick Pedley wrote:
[about lazy tourists at the Dome]
On a railway related note, try directing people to Waterloo or
Westminster
stations (both about 400m away) when they're too lazy to walk there.
"Where's the nearest cab stand?" is a common response from North American
accented lard-arses, "I'm not gonna walk all that way, it's too hard on
the
feet".

I was rather amused when getting the Tube from Oxford Circus to
Waterloo at about 11AM on New Year's Eve: a large group of weighty
North Americans bustled onto the train at Charing Cross, only to
unbustle again at Embankment.

Sadly, I didn't get to see if they were using paper single tickets...

Ahem, *blush*, ahem, the ticket seller refused to sell me a ticket way back
in 1994 when I was young and not sure of the route. They told how to walk
there which pleased me as I saved some cash.
FWIW I have advised people to join the District Line at Westminster by
walking over Westminster bridge but they still insisted on going backwards
to Waterloo to ride the train and change platforms 'as it made more sense'.
I don't get it as you can see Westminster station from where I work and the
way to get there but not Waterloo.

Nick
P.S. I did work at the Dome but that's not where I'm talking about today!

Mark Goodge January 3rd 07 09:43 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 19:13:21 -0000, Peter Masson put finger to keyboard
and typed:

"John B" wrote in message
roups.com...

I was rather amused when getting the Tube from Oxford Circus to
Waterloo at about 11AM on New Year's Eve: a large group of weighty
North Americans bustled onto the train at Charing Cross, only to
unbustle again at Embankment.

Sadly, I didn't get to see if they were using paper single tickets...

I suppose that they could have been changing to the District/Circle at
Embankment. Of course, a Londoner would have gone out of the side door of
Charing Cross Main Line, and walked down Villiers Street (or along the
walkway and down the steps by Embankment).

Well, that is one of the disadvantages of the Beck map; it doesn't
give much in the way of clues about the actual geographical proximity
of some stations (or, in the suburbs, their lack of proximity). For
people who are already familiar with the above-ground geography, a
topological transport map is fine, but for those who don't know their
way around then it can be somewhat misleading.

Mark