London Banter

-   -   Mailrail (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4864-mailrail.html)

Boltar January 9th 07 09:39 AM

Mailrail

Anyone know the current status of the post office railway? I walked
past the winch at mount pleasent not long back and it was looking a bit
sorry for itself. Is the line still mothballed or has it been
dismantled?

B2003

Ernst S Blofeld January 9th 07 11:58 AM

Mailrail

Boltar wrote:
Anyone know the current status of the post office railway? I walked
past the winch at mount pleasent not long back and it was looking a bit
sorry for itself. Is the line still mothballed or has it been
dismantled?

Incidently, the land at Mount Pleasant is earmarked for redevelopment.

ESB

January 10th 07 12:19 AM

Mailrail

Where is the winch at Mt. Pleasant?

"Boltar" wrote in message
ps.com...
Anyone know the current status of the post office railway? I walked
past the winch at mount pleasent not long back and it was looking a bit
sorry for itself. Is the line still mothballed or has it been
dismantled?

B2003

January 10th 07 12:19 AM

Mailrail

Are you talking about the sorting centre or about the empty space next to
it?

When is redevelopment due to start?

Boltar January 10th 07 08:28 AM

Mailrail

wrote:

Where is the winch at Mt. Pleasant?

On the western side down that minor road that passes by the
wasteland-come-carpark. There are some gates and plenty of view
opportunities , not that theres much to see to be honest.

B2003

Ernst S Blofeld January 11th 07 05:38 AM

Mailrail

wrote:
Are you talking about the sorting centre or about the empty space next to
it?

The latter (Phoenix Place) but some proposals involve
relocating/rebuilding the sorting centre within the site.
Closure is not on the cards AFAIK.

When is redevelopment due to start?

Goodness knows. It appears to be mostly talk at the moment, as it has
been for 20+ years, but I suspect it is closer to reality than ever
before especially given the potential profits to be made and the
pressure for ever more housing.

ESB

January 11th 07 10:46 PM

Mailrail

"Ernst S Blofeld" wrote in message
Are you talking about the sorting centre or about the empty space next to
it?

The latter (Phoenix Place) but some proposals involve
relocating/rebuilding the sorting centre within the site.
Closure is not on the cards AFAIK.

I heard that closure most certainly was on the cards and that they were
planning to relocate the sorting centre out to Hertfordshire.

Goodness knows. It appears to be mostly talk at the moment, as it has been
for 20+ years, but I suspect it is closer to reality than ever before
especially given the potential profits to be made and the pressure for
ever more housing.

The sorting centre is an architectural monument, is it not?

Ernst S Blofeld January 12th 07 02:01 AM

Mailrail

wrote:
I heard that closure most certainly was on the cards and that they were
planning to relocate the sorting centre out to Hertfordshire.

Recent correspondence in the Camden New Journal suggests not. It is true
that some services have been relocated in the past but it is thought
that total abandonment of the site by Royal Mail is unlikely. Only time
will tell if they deem it more profitable to sell than to keep.

The sorting centre is an architectural monument, is it not?

I can't say definitively either way but I haven't heard mention of it
and can't think why it would merit protection, save for Mailrail itself.
Alas, the online listed building database isn't open to public use.

http://postalheritage.org.uk/history...easant_web.pdf

ESB

January 12th 07 02:58 AM

Mailrail

Boltar wrote:
Anyone know the current status of the post office railway? I walked
past the winch at mount pleasent not long back and it was looking a bit
sorry for itself. Is the line still mothballed or has it been
dismantled?

Incidently, the land at Mount Pleasant is earmarked for redevelopment.

##### I happened to stumble over this by accident
http://www.newlondonarchitecture.org...donsmoving.pdf

January 12th 07 03:09 AM

Mailrail

k...

Boltar wrote:
Anyone know the current status of the post office railway? I walked
past the winch at mount pleasent not long back and it was looking a bit
sorry for itself. Is the line still mothballed or has it been
dismantled?

Incidently, the land at Mount Pleasant is earmarked for redevelopment.

##### I happened to stumble over this by accident
http://www.newlondonarchitecture.org...donsmoving.pdf
######## OOOPS forgot to say see page 40 for article on Mailrail