London Banter

-   -   Work to start on DLR from Canning Town to Stratford International (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4874-work-start-dlr-canning-town.html)

Paul Scott January 16th 07 10:00 PM

Work to start on DLR from Canning Town to Stratford International

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...

In TfL's response (Feb 2006) to Network Rail's draft Cross-London RUS, it
says "Our research suggests that 3-car operation [on the NLL with 8 tph]
may be sufficient to meet 2016 forecast peak hour demand ... but not
beyond."

It'll certainly allow plenty of time any for platform lengthening that's
required here and there...

Paul

Tristán White January 17th 07 12:28 AM

Work to start on DLR from Canning Town to Stratford International

Dave A wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote in
.li:

Work to start on DLR from Canning Town to Stratford International

Anyone know whether there is likely to be any downtime on the
existing DLR lines at Canning Town and Stratford Mainline during
these works?

To be honest, I haven't been paying much attention to the DLR of
late, just realised that Stratford Market will now be called
Stratford High Street. This is a shame. Apart from the fact that
Stratford High Street is really anything but - the shops (which is
what a "High Street" brings to mind) are all up on the Broadway - I
liked the fact that the name of Stratford Market was being
resuscitated. But there again, Stratford Market is not a market any
more so my argument is well flawed. But it would have been nice to
bring the name back.

Perhaps even better would have been to rename it Stratford Bridge,
which was the name of Stratford Market station from 1847 to 1889. And
there is still a bridge there.

Anyone know whether the DLR station will keep the look and feel of
the old Stratford Market building? Or is it going to be refurbished
into hideous perspex like the rest of them?

As for the decision to change Cody Road to Star Lane, I guess this
makes more sense, but Cody Road is quite some way from Star Lane
isn't it? I know I pick up my couriered parcels from Cody Road which
is the Western side of the Silverlink track, and Star Lane is of
course East of the track (quite a bit East). So has the location of
the station changed at all in the rename?

The decision to change the name was taken because it was felt that the
catchment on the eastern side of the station was more important (at
least initially), and that Star Lane was a more recognised place
locally.

The location of the station hasn't changed at all - it is situated at
the footbridge over the railway which links Cody Road/Stephenson Road
to Star Lane/Manor Road. They essentially face each other across the
tracks (although the road vehicle route between the two involves a
lengthy detour at least five times longer than the distance between
them!).

Thanks - yes, I agree, Star Lane is a far better choice of name.

Not convinced about Stratford High Street (see my reasons).

umpston January 17th 07 05:48 PM

Work to start on DLR from Canning Town to Stratford International

Tristán White wrote:
Dave A wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote in
.li:

[...]

Just to add that I doubt the old Stratford Market Station building will
be part of the new Stratford High Street station since the platforms
are slightly to the south of the old station and the entrances (via a
new footbridge) will be on Bridge Road and Burford Road. Don't know if
hideous perspex is still in fashion with the DLR station architects.

Charlie Pearce January 17th 07 09:46 PM

Work to start on DLR from Canning Town to Stratford International

On 14 Jan 2007 14:13:10 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in message

http://www.nceplus.co.uk/news/news_a...il_engineering

So does that mean that the Jubilee and the DLR will both got to Stratford?

They both do already, though in the future the DLR will go to Stratford
twice.

I don't call that much of a service!

Charlie
--
Remove NO-SPOO-PLEASE from my email address to reply
Please send no unsolicited email or foodstuffs

John Rowland January 19th 07 12:17 PM

Work to start on DLR from Canning Town to Stratford International

Tom Anderson wrote:

and can trains from the [east] head south at Poplar?
Looking on the goggly maps, the shadow of
the HSBC building makes it hard to say

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...&scene=4268612

Such a service used to operate for much of the week. I can't remember
exactly, but I think it was between Tower Gateway and Beckton via a reversal
at Canary Wharf.

Tom Anderson January 19th 07 01:16 PM

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

and can trains from the [east] head south at Poplar?
Looking on the goggly maps, the shadow of
the HSBC building makes it hard to say

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...&scene=4268612

Hang on, those crossovers don't do anything to help trains on the outer
pair (from the east) get onto the central pair (to the south). Unless the
northern one is a scissors (there being an outer-to-inner crossover on the
up pair to the east) - i can't tell.

Such a service used to operate for much of the week. I can't remember
exactly, but I think it was between Tower Gateway and Beckton via a
reversal at Canary Wharf.

Suppose it must be, then!

tom

--
Fitter, Happier, More Productive.

[email protected] January 19th 07 01:51 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:
Hang on, those crossovers don't do anything to help trains on the outer
pair (from the east) get onto the central pair (to the south). Unless the
northern one is a scissors (there being an outer-to-inner crossover on the
up pair to the east) - i can't tell.

According to this:

http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/...light-rail.jpg

There are crossover allowing trains to/from the east to reach the inner
two platforms at Poplar, which lead to/from Canary Wharf. Try scrolling
the aerial photo east a bit.

Tom Anderson January 19th 07 05:07 PM

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

Hang on, those crossovers don't do anything to help trains on the outer
pair (from the east) get onto the central pair (to the south). Unless the
northern one is a scissors (there being an outer-to-inner crossover on the
up pair to the east) - i can't tell.

According to this:

http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/...light-rail.jpg

Good map!

There are crossover allowing trains to/from the east to reach the inner
two platforms at Poplar, which lead to/from Canary Wharf. Try scrolling
the aerial photo east a bit.

No, as i surmised, the northern one is a scissors, and there's an
outer-to-inner further east.

tom

--
One of the principal objects of theoretical research in my department
of knowledge is to find the point of view from which the subject appears

John Rowland January 21st 07 07:36 AM

Work to start on DLR from Canning Town to Stratford International

Dave A wrote:
wrote:
Seeing that TfL is due to take over the North London (When is that
due to happen?), have they ever thought about further extending the
DLR further west?

Methinks that it would be a boon for Hackney, which suffers from a
lack of any tube stations.

I can imagine the DLR going out to Highbury & Islington, as it would
allow connections to the Victoria Line as well as to the ELL at
Dalston Kingsland. And NLL would terminate at Highbury & Islington.

The NLL here is also used by freight, and once again conversion to DLR
would preclude this.

I believe the formation is wide enough for 4 tracks from Waterden Road to
Kentish Town Road, with the exception of the bit north of Dalston Junction
station. If true, there should be room for two DLR tracks from Stratford to
Dalston Junction, two freight tracks from Stratford to Camden, and two
passenger line from Camden to Dalston Junction and onto the East London
Line.

January 21st 07 10:31 AM

Work to start on DLR from Canning Town to Stratford International

BTW, does the North London Line still come into its original platform when
arriving at Stratford? Or does it now loop around and terminate on the upper
level?