Old January 28th 07, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Using Oyster on Valid NR Services

On 28 Jan, 10:58, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:58:21 -0000, "Raymond Kirk"
wrote:

How does Oyster work when you need to touch in and touch out on more than
one occasion to complete a journey.

E.G A jorney from Harow on the Hill to Oxford Circus

Touch in at Harrow on the Hill.

Use Chiltern line to get to Marylebone.

At Marlebone, touch out to exit Chiltern Rail.

Touch in to enter Bakerloo line.

Touch out at Oxford Circus.

This would register as 2 journeys and cost £7.

This does not make sense!It would not register as two journeys provided the interchange at

Marylebone is done as if it was one through journey i.e. you don't
wander off for a couple of hours exploring the Marylebone area.

The gates are set to recognise such interchange traffic and as LU fares
apply both sides of the gateline then it will be treated as a through
trip at one fare. As others have said you may see some strange values on
gateline displays as you interchange due to values being deducted and
added back on but on final exit the normal HoH to Oxo fares should be
the one that is charged.

It is also worth noting that there is a 2 hour maximum journey time for
PAYG trips and that should be easily achievable on the trip you mention.

Does your query stem from a real life experience or from pondering how
the system works?
--
Paul C

What happens if you travel from Chorleywood to Richmond via Marylebone
- off-peak Chorleywood to Richmond on Oyster PAYG is £2 as I imagine
the fare has been set to reflect changing at Harrow-on-the-Hill /
Rayners Lane / Acton Town / Turnham Green but you could conceivably
expect to travel via Zone 1, either Marylebone / Piccadilly Circus /
Hammersmith or using the Metropolitan to Finchley Road / Westminster.
If you touch in at Marylebone en route, is an adjustment made to
reduce the fare into London, i.e. you would still pay £2 or do you end
up paying £3 or £5 in total?

This is a question pondering what might happen if I make this journey
- the time of the journey is not too different - about 1hr 20 - 1hr 30
by either route depending on connections. Am I explicitly not able to
go via Zone 1 (and pay one fare) on this journey?

Jonathan

Old January 28th 07, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Wood wrote:
In ,
Paul Corfield typed:

It would not register as two journeys provided the interchange at
Marylebone is done as if it was one through journey i.e. you don't
wander off for a couple of hours exploring the Marylebone area.

On the contrary - it *would* register as two journeys, but the first
of them would be priced at £0.00.

So the two-hour clock would start over again at Marylebone?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old January 29th 07, 12:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
David of Broadway typed:

Bob Wood wrote:

In ,
Paul Corfield typed:

It would not register as two journeys provided the interchange at
Marylebone is done as if it was one through journey i.e. you don't
wander off for a couple of hours exploring the Marylebone area.

On the contrary - it *would* register as two journeys, but the
first of them would be priced at £0.00.

So the two-hour clock would start over again at Marylebone?

I wouldn't have thought so. Effectively the two 'part journeys' become
one journey and the whole of that journey would have to be completed
within the 2 hours, I would have thought.

If the journey was a long one and unavoidably stretched over the two
hour mark, I am sure that each part of the journey would be treated as a
separate journey and contact with the Oyster helpline would be necessary
to rectify the matter.

--
Bob

Old January 29th 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

On 28 Jan 2007 14:22:39 -0800, wrote:

What happens if you travel from Chorleywood to Richmond via Marylebone
- off-peak Chorleywood to Richmond on Oyster PAYG is £2 as I imagine
the fare has been set to reflect changing at Harrow-on-the-Hill /
Rayners Lane / Acton Town / Turnham Green

Yes, according to the TfL Fare Finder (assuming by off-peak you mean
before 7am or after 7pm on weekdays or all weekend).

but you could conceivably
expect to travel via Zone 1, either Marylebone / Piccadilly Circus /
Hammersmith or using the Metropolitan to Finchley Road / Westminster.

If you avoid touching anywhere en route (e.g. taking the latter
route), you'll still be charged £2, and AFAICS doing so is perfectly
legal and valid.

If you touch in at Marylebone en route, is an adjustment made to
reduce the fare into London, i.e. you would still pay £2 or do you end
up paying £3 or £5 in total?

I don't think we're going to know the answer to this until someone
actually tries it. If you do, could you please report back to the
group?

I have not tested that particular route but a couple of months ago I
tested serveral different ways of getting from Tottenham Hale to Canary
Wharf with Oyster PAYG but found none of them charged as via Z1. My
usual route, 'one' to Stratford and then DLR is of course not via Z1.
Then, when tested to touch in to the tube system at T. Hale and used
Victoria Line - Jubilee Line it still was not charged as via Z1 although
there is virtually no way of getting by tube between those without going
through Z1. Next test was to just for fun taking 'one' to Liverpool
Street, Circle Line from there and then DLR from Tower Hill it was still
not charged as via Z1, although I had in this case of course actually
touched several validators within Z1...

No problem with this route but I suspect it is not quite as popular for
the opposit, journeys always charged as via Z1 regardless of the actual
route taken, where Oyster makes it impossible to get a lower fare by
using a slightly longer route but avoiding Z1.

That said, I don't know if this applies to other parts of the system.
Might be something special for this route.

I have a couple of more tests I would like to do some time but haven't
been to London for a long while now... But it looks like more contract
work is coming up so as I say, I will be back and will report when I
find out of more interesting things with Oyster. :-)

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old January 29th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:17:06 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

[...]

Thank you - I think this all but answers the question.
Old January 29th 07, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 11:56:53 GMT, "Bob Wood"
wrote:

In ,
Paul Corfield typed:

It would not register as two journeys provided the interchange at
Marylebone is done as if it was one through journey i.e. you don't
wander off for a couple of hours exploring the Marylebone area.

On the contrary - it *would* register as two journeys, but the first
of them would be priced at £0.00.

There are two legs but one priced journey which is the price between
origin and final destination. AIUI the gates at exit look back through
the journey history to check what has gone on before - this is
especially important when dealing with an out of station interchange
like Marylebone.
--
Paul C

Old January 29th 07, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:06:15 +0000, asdf
wrote:

[...]

I would say it certainly does. The reason for this being that the LU
system can only recognise one fare (for LU only or LU interavailable
travel) between origin and destination. That's why there is only one
route that is assumed when setting LU fares - either via Z1 or not.
Olof's experience illustrates that. Different rules apply for NR only
or LU / NR fares where there may be different NLCs for the same place
(Richmond has three IIRC) and different route options to each NLC.

NLC - National Location Code as used in NR ticketing. LU has its own
series.
--
Paul C