Old February 14th 07, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Motspur Park speed restriction

Anyone know what's happening - or not happening - at Motspur Park?
There is a speed restriction of what feels like 1mph in both
directions. On Monday they said it was emergency engineering works,
but there's no obvious sign of anyone engineering anything.

Peter CS

Old February 15th 07, 03:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Feb 2007 04:16:23 -0800, pjcs wrote:

Anyone know what's happening - or not happening - at Motspur Park?
There is a speed restriction of what feels like 1mph in both
directions. On Monday they said it was emergency engineering works,
but there's no obvious sign of anyone engineering anything.

Not an answer to your question, but I always find it irritating when
I'm told that services are disrupted due to "emergency engineering
works". Emergency engineering works are not the cause of the
disruption; they are the solution to that cause. They're effectively
saying, "We're not going to tell you why you're being delayed, because
that might sound negative, which would damage our corporate image.
Instead, we're going to patronise you by trying to put a positive spin
on the disruption; you should be pleased that we're actually fixing
the thing that went wrong (that we're not telling you about)."

That's what I hear, anyway. ;-)
Old February 15th 07, 03:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 04:28:39 +0000, asdf
wrote:

[...]

"A good service is operating on all London Underground lines".
Old February 15th 07, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 15, 4:38 am, James Farrar wrote:

"A good service is operating on all London Underground lines".

It's not on the Underground

Old February 18th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Anyone know what's happening - or not happening - at Motspur Park?
There is a speed restriction of what feels like 1mph in both
directions. On Monday they said it was emergency engineering works,
but there's no obvious sign of anyone engineering anything.

Peter CS

There was a sign on the road over the crossing saying it was closed
between 10pm and 6am, so possibly road works. But nothing obvious on
the crossing itself.

Dave

Old February 19th 07, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I noticed a piece of Balfour Beatty road/rail plant heading out that
way on the line from the Raynes Park area yesterday morning, I guess
that is probably conencted in some way with this work?

Old February 19th 07, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message
glegroups.com, Mon, 19 Feb 2007 01:10:02, Old Central
posted:
I noticed a piece of Balfour Beatty road/rail plant heading out that
way on the line from the Raynes Park area yesterday morning, I guess
that is probably conencted in some way with this work?

That might be the piece that was parked in Elm Road, a little north of
the level crossing, at about 12:40 today; about TQ 2075 6850. OTOH
Motspur Park is on a different line from Raynes Park.

Elm Road bridge, just south of there, is closed to road traffic under
(including foot, AFAICS; but the footpath to the north of the main line
is fully usable).

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Old February 19th 07, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:04:32 +0000, Dr J R Stockton
wrote:

That might be the piece that was parked in Elm Road, a little north of
the level crossing, at about 12:40 today; about TQ 2075 6850. OTOH
Motspur Park is on a different line from Raynes Park.

Motspur Park is the next station after Raynes Raynes on a branch off
the main line.

Dave
Old February 20th 07, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Sounds like Balfour Beatty are busy then, hope NR are paying them
handsomely for the service!

Elm Road is on the Kingston Branch past New Malden. Whereas the one I
saw was on the branch to Motspur Park parallel to West Barnes Lane.

OC

Old February 20th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message ,
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:56:53, Dave posted:
wrote:

That might be the piece that was parked in Elm Road, a little north of
the level crossing, at about 12:40 today; about TQ 2075 6850. OTOH
Motspur Park is on a different line from Raynes Park.

Motspur Park is the next station after Raynes Raynes on a branch off
the main line.

My meaning was that, starting from Raynes Park, Motspur Park is not on
the same route as Elm Road. Coming from London by train, one turns left
at RP to get to MP, but one turns right at New Malden (by underpass near
Elm Road) to get to ER, Norbiton, etc. The Elm Road level crossing is,
of course, not main line; but the bridge being worked on supports the
main Waterloo-Southampton line.

Query : there are three holes under the main line near Elm Road level
crossing. One is for Elm Road; one is used by trains from New Malden to
Norbiton. Why the third, parallel to and north of the second?

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 IE 6.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms