Old September 15th 03, 01:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Minimum speed limit sign after the dartford tunnel?

Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

Old September 15th 03, 06:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them.

Yep. In the Highway Code and I've seen them elsewhere too.

Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

No idea.

--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

Old September 15th 03, 06:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul
Weaver writes
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

The are quite common in tunnels etc. where it would be difficult if
people stopped or went very slow. The Blackwall tunnel used to have them
(it may still do so).

--
John Alexander,

Old September 15th 03, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

It's not. If you go through the right hand bore, the limit is only cancelled
at the exit, just before the end of the 50 max limit. The first sign is just
after the toll booths.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old September 15th 03, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:45:40 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Harper" wrote:

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
. com...
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

It's not. If you go through the right hand bore, the limit is only cancelled
at the exit, just before the end of the 50 max limit. The first sign is just
after the toll booths.

I think there's at least one at Blackwall as well.

Old September 15th 03, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:33:30 +0100, Mike Harrison
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:45:40 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Harper" wrote:

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
.com...
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

It's not. If you go through the right hand bore, the limit is only cancelled
at the exit, just before the end of the 50 max limit. The first sign is just
after the toll booths.

I think there's at least one at Blackwall as well.

Yes, I remember spotting those last time I went through the Blackwall
tunnels (couple of months ago).

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge
www.samholloway.co.uk

Old September 15th 03, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them.

Yep. In the Highway Code and I've seen them elsewhere too.

Please please pretty please can we have some on the A303 when
the shed-draggers are out :-)

Old September 15th 03, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John wrote:
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit
sign? I didnt think the UK had them.

Yep. In the Highway Code and I've seen them elsewhere too.

Please please pretty please can we have some on the A303
when
the shed-draggers are out :-)

A shed-dragger being?

Old September 16th 03, 05:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
John wrote:
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit
sign? I didnt think the UK had them.

Yep. In the Highway Code and I've seen them elsewhere too.

Please please pretty please can we have some on the A303
when
the shed-draggers are out :-)

A shed-dragger being?

I believe The Right Honourable Gentleman is referring to "a caravan".

This is a plastic and wood confection that serves as home for so-called
"trailer trash" in the colonies but, for some reason, British owners of such
constructions feel obliged to tow them around the nation's roads at weekends
and each Bank Holiday, thereby replacing the congestion caused at other
times by mothers in mpvs taking a child to the local comprehensive zoo.

--
Brian
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop