London Banter

-   -   Non-terminus (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4984-non-terminus.html)

Tristán White February 15th 07 11:54 PM

Non-terminus

Can anyone explain in two sentences why, if someone has a NR return ticket
from London-XXXXXX-London, which is valid for any route, they are not
allowed to leave at Farringdon?

Why is there discrimination on people leaving the network at a station
which is not a terminus. I don't understand it. Why is it not to any NR
station within Zone 1.

It doesn't affect me particularly, but I just don't get the logic in it.

asdf February 16th 07 03:59 AM

Non-terminus

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:54:49 -0600, Tristán White wrote:

Can anyone explain in two sentences why, if someone has a NR return ticket
from London-XXXXXX-London, which is valid for any route, they are not
allowed to leave at Farringdon?

A ticket from London Terminals is a ticket from KXTL (for northbound
journeys) or City Thameslink (for southbound journeys). If you want to
extend the journey to/from Farringdon, you have to buy a more
expensive ticket to permit the extra travel.

Why is there discrimination on people leaving the network at a station
which is not a terminus. I don't understand it. Why is it not to any NR
station within Zone 1.

It doesn't affect me particularly, but I just don't get the logic in it.

If you want to make a longer journey, you have to pay a higher fare.
Is that so illogical?

John B February 16th 07 07:53 AM

Non-terminus

On Feb 16, 4:59 am, asdf wrote:
Can anyone explain in two sentences why, if someone has a NR return ticket
from London-XXXXXX-London, which is valid for any route, they are not
allowed to leave at Farringdon?

A ticket from London Terminals is a ticket from KXTL (for northbound
journeys) or City Thameslink (for southbound journeys). If you want to
extend the journey to/from Farringdon, you have to buy a more
expensive ticket to permit the extra travel.

But a London Terminals ticket *is* valid from St Albans to Moorgate,
isn't it?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Barry Salter February 16th 07 08:13 AM

Non-terminus

John B wrote:
On Feb 16, 4:59 am, asdf wrote:
Can anyone explain in two sentences why, if someone has a NR return ticket
from London-XXXXXX-London, which is valid for any route, they are not
allowed to leave at Farringdon?

A ticket from London Terminals is a ticket from KXTL (for northbound
journeys) or City Thameslink (for southbound journeys). If you want to
extend the journey to/from Farringdon, you have to buy a more
expensive ticket to permit the extra travel.

But a London Terminals ticket *is* valid from St Albans to Moorgate,
isn't it?

Nope. To be usable at Moorgate, it *MUST* be issued to London Thameslink
where possible (stations between West Hampstead Thameslink and Bedford).

Failing that, it has to be issued to Zone U1 (or the appropriate Zones
for a journey wholly within the Travelcard Area, which uses the
"Train-Tube" fares).

A Season Ticket would need to be issued either *specifically* to
Moorgate Underground *OR* to include Zone R12 as a minimum.

This applies for all journeys on the Thameslink route to/via Farringdon,
Barbican, Moorgate and Snow Hill Tunnel. Why, I'm not entirely sure.

Cheers,

Barry

Mizter T February 16th 07 11:44 AM

Non-terminus

John B wrote:

On Feb 16, 4:59 am, asdf wrote:
Can anyone explain in two sentences why, if someone has a NR return ticket
from London-XXXXXX-London, which is valid for any route, they are not
allowed to leave at Farringdon?

A ticket from London Terminals is a ticket from KXTL (for northbound
journeys) or City Thameslink (for southbound journeys). If you want to
extend the journey to/from Farringdon, you have to buy a more
expensive ticket to permit the extra travel.

But a London Terminals ticket *is* valid from St Albans to Moorgate,
isn't it?

Barry Salter explains that this ain't so in his reply to your post.

Of course London Terminals tickets are valid at Moorgate for journeys
from/to the FCC Great Northern line.

Rob Hamadi February 16th 07 12:53 PM

Non-terminus

On Feb 16, 4:59 am, asdf wrote:
A ticket from London Terminals is a ticket from KXTL (for northbound
journeys) or City Thameslink (for southbound journeys). If you want to
extend the journey to/from Farringdon, you have to buy a more
expensive ticket to permit the extra travel.

What about a ticket, eg KXTL-Gatwick-KXTL, getting off at Farringdon
on the return leg.

If you want to make a longer journey, you have to pay a higher fare.
Is that so illogical?

In this case the journey would be shorter.
--
Rob

Mizter T February 16th 07 01:05 PM

Non-terminus

On 16 Feb, 13:53, "Rob Hamadi" wrote:
On Feb 16, 4:59 am, asdf wrote:

A ticket from London Terminals is a ticket from KXTL (for northbound
journeys) or City Thameslink (for southbound journeys). If you want to
extend the journey to/from Farringdon, you have to buy a more
expensive ticket to permit the extra travel.

What about a ticket, eg KXTL-Gatwick-KXTL, getting off at Farringdon
on the return leg.

AFAIAA it'd be fine to use such a ticket to leave at Farringdon.

[email protected] February 16th 07 01:23 PM

Non-terminus

Rob Hamadi wrote:
What about a ticket, eg KXTL-Gatwick-KXTL, getting off at Farringdon
on the return leg.

A ticket from Gatwick (or anywhere in the south) to London Terminals
only gets you as far as City Thameslink. You'd need a slightly more
expensive ticket to get to KXTL (or Farringdon), to cover the cross
London journey.

Michael Hoffman February 16th 07 01:29 PM

Non-terminus

wrote:
Rob Hamadi wrote:
What about a ticket, eg KXTL-Gatwick-KXTL, getting off at Farringdon
on the return leg.

A ticket from Gatwick (or anywhere in the south) to London Terminals
only gets you as far as City Thameslink. You'd need a slightly more
expensive ticket to get to KXTL (or Farringdon), to cover the cross
London journey.

Surely if Rob bought a return to Gatwick Airport at KXTL, they would
have sold him one that was valid.
--
Michael Hoffman

John B February 16th 07 01:47 PM

Non-terminus

On 16 Feb, 12:44, "Mizter T" wrote:
But a London Terminals ticket *is* valid from St Albans to Moorgate,
isn't it?

Barry Salter explains that this ain't so in his reply to your post.

Of course London Terminals tickets are valid at Moorgate for journeys
from/to the FCC Great Northern line.

Right, I misremembered the details (I thought they were valid to
Moorgate but not to southern Thameslink and not intermediately at
Farringdon, which would have been insane and weird and therefore quite
plausible under the Routing Guide). Was that the case pre-Thameslink,
or were Moorgate and Farringdon viewed as London Terminals in those
days?

Just as well Moorgate Widened Lines is closing under Thameslink 2k+n,
otherwise there'd have been the entirely silly situation where a
ticket from Stevenage to London Terminals was valid on a direct train
to Moorgate via Highbury but not on a direct train to Moorgate via
Farringdon...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org