Old March 5th 07, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woo Woo!

Any idea why, over the last few days, the trains have been blowing their
horns a lot more? I've lived near Surbiton Station for a few years, but have
no idea why I've noticed this. At times it sounds like there's a train sat
at the station just blowing its horn!

Is it a general rule to blow your horn at every station or just Surbiton?

Old March 5th 07, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"elyob" wrote in message
Any idea why, over the last few days, the trains have been blowing their
horns a lot more? I've lived near Surbiton Station for a few years, but
have no idea why I've noticed this. At times it sounds like there's a
train sat at the station just blowing its horn!

Is it a general rule to blow your horn at every station or just Surbiton?

Hasn't there been a lot of weekend track maintenance work in the area
recently? If the driver sights workers in the distance he has to give them a
warning...

Paul

Old March 5th 07, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"elyob" wrote in message
Any idea why, over the last few days, the trains have been blowing their
horns a lot more? I've lived near Surbiton Station for a few years, but
have no idea why I've noticed this. At times it sounds like there's a
train sat at the station just blowing its horn!

Is it a general rule to blow your horn at every station or just Surbiton?

Hasn't there been a lot of weekend track maintenance work in the area
recently? If the driver sights workers in the distance he has to give them
a warning...

They have been doing weekend work, yes. I just presumed they'd do all the
work on the weekend, then come back the next weekend. Could be that there is
a team doing stuff down the track a little bit. It's quiter now, so they'll
have clocked off. It does start early in the morning too.

Thanks

Old March 5th 07, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 5, 2:46 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message

Any idea why, over the last few days, the trains have been blowing their
horns a lot more? I've lived near Surbiton Station for a few years, but
have no idea why I've noticed this. At times it sounds like there's a
train sat at the station just blowing its horn!

Is it a general rule to blow your horn at every station or just Surbiton?

Hasn't there been a lot of weekend track maintenance work in the area
recently? If the driver sights workers in the distance he has to give them a
warning...

Paul

There was track relaying at New Malden on the down spur to the
Kingston line. This caused the down slow line through the station to
be used for PW trains and the subsequent closure of the station and of
Berrylands. There were bustitutions in force and the Hampton Court
branch was operated by a shuttle to and from Surbiton. Whether this
contributed to excess horn sounding or not I don't know. Perhaps the
driver of through trains were warned ther ewould be more passenger on
the fast line side of the platforms waiting for train and to sound
their horns more vigourously than usual

Neill

Old March 9th 07, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neillw001" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 5, 2:46 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message

[...]

4 days later and they're still at it. There's a big yellow sign at the end
of the platform, and I think the drivers are sounding their horn when they
see this. Although this is a guess.

Is there no way of finding out what work is being done, and how long it's
due to take? Everyone keeps mentioning the horn when I'm on the phone!

Old March 9th 07, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Mar, 12:52, "elyob" wrote:
"Neillw001" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 5, 2:46 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message

[...]

Try calling the Network Rail national helpline on 08457 11 41 41, as
detailed he
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/1346.aspx

Or call South West Trains customer services on 0845 6000 650.
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWT.../ContactUs.htm

Old March 10th 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message ,
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:52:40, elyob posted:

Is there no way of finding out what work is being done, and how long it's
due to take? Everyone keeps mentioning the horn when I'm on the phone!

Well, walking down Elm Road or along The Cut to the level-crossing would
this-afternoon have shown you a lengthy ballast-train, with what looked
like JCB-arms waving on the other side of it. Walking up Elm Road to
the crossing, it taking a train from Berrylands to New Malden, might
have shown you more. It seems that the Raby Road line is being re-laid.

But I recall no horns.

Summer must be approaching here, judging by the number of cones seen in
the road ... with the ice-cream melting out of them.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. DOS 3.3, 6.20 ; WinXP.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.