Old March 12th 07, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Foxy DLR

On Mar 9, 8:24 pm, wrote:
Did he remember to touch in and touch out to avoid paying the maximum
fair?

Fare even.

Fur, shurely.

Old March 12th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martyn Dawe wrote:
On 9 Mar 2007 23:59:18 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

On Mar 9, 6:56 pm, "alex_t" wrote:
I just saw fox running near the rails at the Bow Church DLR station :-
It ran through the length of the platform, then crossed the rails and
went to the garden nearby.

I was a bit more surprised when I saw a fox come down from the
footbridge and wander across platform 5/6 at London Bridge, given that
the whole station is on a viaduct.

there are polenty of fox's in the city , I saw one in my road eating
the remains of someone's rejected takeaway.

Simon Jenkins had a piece in Friday's Guardian on the rise of the urban
fox - apparently, because shooting is so much more efficient for fox
extermination than hunting was, countryside ain't safe for foxes any more!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2030008,00.html

--
Larry Lard

The address is real, but unread - please reply to the group
Old March 12th 07, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martyn Dawe typed

On 9 Mar 2007 23:59:18 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

On Mar 9, 6:56 pm, "alex_t" wrote:
I just saw fox running near the rails at the Bow Church DLR station :-
It ran through the length of the platform, then crossed the rails and
went to the garden nearby.

I was a bit more surprised when I saw a fox come down from the
footbridge and wander across platform 5/6 at London Bridge, given that
the whole station is on a viaduct.

there are polenty of fox's in the city , I saw one in my road eating
the remains of someone's rejected takeaway.

I am sure that this is part of the foxes' staple diet round here, where
they are prevalent and breed at the end of the garden. I have watched a
family of foxes play for an hour on my lawn, seen a fox in Gloucester
Square in Central London and met a local lady who kept a pet fox on a
lead.

Discarded take-away meals are beloved by pigeons, squirrels and foxes
and the HUGE local pigeons provide a good meal for a fox...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old March 12th 07, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 12, 4:04 pm, Larry Lard wrote:
Martyn Dawe wrote:
On 9 Mar 2007 23:59:18 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

On Mar 9, 6:56 pm, "alex_t" wrote:
I just saw fox running near the rails at the Bow Church DLR station :-
It ran through the length of the platform, then crossed the rails and
went to the garden nearby.

I was a bit more surprised when I saw a fox come down from the
footbridge and wander across platform 5/6 at London Bridge, given that
the whole station is on a viaduct.

there are polenty of fox's in the city , I saw one in my road eating
the remains of someone's rejected takeaway.

Simon Jenkins had a piece in Friday's Guardian on the rise of the urban
fox - apparently, because shooting is so much more efficient for fox
extermination than hunting was, countryside ain't safe for foxes any more!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2030008,00.html

Hunting never had anything to do with extermination, did it? I
thought it was about getting your kicks from torturing animals to
death. For that, the population must not be kept down or it spoils
the fun.

Old March 12th 07, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Mar 2007 02:16:19 -0700, "alex_t"
wrote:

I was a bit more surprised when I saw a fox come down from the
footbridge and wander across platform 5/6 at London Bridge, given that
the whole station is on a viaduct.

Well, until then I haven't see any fox in London at all. At least now
I understand that those fox-like "dogs" I see sometimes are actually
foxes! (which was quite unbelievable for a foreigner)

I have seen 4 in my garden - mum, dad and 2 juniors. I often hear the
high pitched screams of foxes during the night.

I have also almost been "foxbushed" on the way to the station in the
dark when 4 or 5 foxes came running up the road behind me to try to
reach their lair. They typically don't like human contact and I stopped
and we ended up in a stand off as I was inadvertently right on their
route into their "home" via a car park behind a church. They ran round
me and disappeared. Not really what you expect in Walthamstow!

--
Paul C

Old March 13th 07, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Not really what you expect in Walthamstow!

Must have been fun :-)
Here (in the lost land between Bow and Stratford) there's a lot of
empty land, and foxes seem to like it.

Old March 13th 07, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, alex_t wrote:

Not really what you expect in Walthamstow!

Must have been fun :-) Here (in the lost land between Bow and Stratford)
there's a lot of empty land, and foxes seem to like it.

The lost land! The Bow back rivers area is one of my favourite places in
London; i don't know that i'd call it 'lost'. But then, i don't have to
live there!

tom

--
Fitter, Happier, More Productive.
Old March 13th 07, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The lost land! The Bow back rivers area is one of my favourite places in
London; i don't know that i'd call it 'lost'. But then, i don't have to
live there!

Yes, they are nice - but as most things in the area they are very
neglected: dirty, smelly, etc. Well, the smell is not from rivers
actually, it comes from the sewer nearby (especially when the wind is
from the sea), but it stinks so bad...

The only reason that I live here is that I got a chance to rent a flat
in a brand new block (near the City Mill Lock) quite cheaply, and it
is nice to live in, or better to say - it *was* nice in the beginning.
As a first tenant on my floor (and one of the first in the entire
building) I witnessed gradual decline from the initial shiny new
building to current pig farm (which is of course quite logical, given
that most people living here behave like pigs). Add local yobs, polish/
eastern-european drunkards, a couple of recent bourglaries (not in my
flat thank god - *knocks on wood*), multiple letter boxes broken into
(I redirected most of my mail to work) - and it is no surprise that
I'm going to start searching for a better place soon... :-/