Old March 15th 07, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar

In ,
Jack Taylor typed:

Bob Wood wrote:

The line runs *under* the Thames in a tunnel.

As we agreed about five hours ago. ;-)

I think that your ISP must be propagating messages/responses rather
slowly tonight!

Or perhaps I was too tired to have read everything properly.

Sorry!

--
Bob

Old March 15th 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Mar, 19:48, Paul Terry wrote:
In message ,
writes

From my part of the world for many years people have always had to go
to Euston and cross to Waterloo to travel to the south coast by train

Not necessarily (if you are going back as far as 1953!). There were a
number of direct routes - most notably The Pines Express, that provided
a direct service between Manchester and Bournemouth.
--
Paul Terry

Nor do they need to now! Virgin Cross Country run several direct
services per day between Manchester and Bournemouth via Oxford.

Steve Adams

Old March 15th 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 14 Mar, 19:48, Paul Terry wrote:
In message ,
writes

From my part of the world for many years people have always had to go
to Euston and cross to Waterloo to travel to the south coast by train

Not necessarily (if you are going back as far as 1953!). There were a
number of direct routes - most notably The Pines Express, that provided
a direct service between Manchester and Bournemouth.
--
Paul Terry

Nor do they need to now! Virgin Cross Country run several direct
services per day between Manchester and Bournemouth via Oxford.

Bournemouth has hourly trains in fact, throughout most of the day to
somewhere up north or other, be it left, middle or right, although the
destinations become a little nearer during the evening, I guess the drivers
don't like being in strange places late at night...

Paul

Old March 16th 07, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 14, 8:33 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:02 +0000, John Hearns
wrote:

Sadly, looks like you will never be able to step on at Crewe and step
off onto the boulevards of Paris.

Which wouldn't bother me personally but it will be nice to walk in the
fresh air between St Panc and Euston in a reasonable amount of time
instead of walking for miles in the airless tunnels of the tube .

Actually, thinking about another question which was asked here a couple
of days ago, Euston and St Pancras are a ten-fifteen minute walk apart.
Wonder if there would be any case for a dedicated inter-station shuttle
when the Eurostar comes online?

An iterstation moving walkway would be a better option but it won't
happen of course .

three minutes by bike, FWIW.

Old March 16th 07, 11:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I seem to recall that Virgin runs through trains from Southampton up to
Edinburgh.

ups.com...

Old March 17th 07, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Bournemouth has hourly trains in fact, throughout most of the day to
somewhere up north or other, be it left, middle or right, although the
destinations become a little nearer during the evening, I guess the
drivers
don't like being in strange places late at night...

Paul

We have a Bournemouth train come through Preston around midday but that
is the only through service from Preston to the southcoast resorts
that I know of .We do have I think two a day to the southwest though
but Portsmouth and all points east are a no no from here direct .

Northbound from Bournemouth:
3 to Edinburgh, via ECML
3 to Edinburgh, via WCML
4 to Manchester
1 each to Glasgow, Newcastle and Leeds

There are 3 northbound trains a day stop at Preston, but only two the other
way, which of course is fairly typical XC.

Paul

Old March 17th 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:40:06 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I traveled from Preston to Windermere yesterday on one of the new
trains that TransPennine Express"FIRST" are running on the service
and it was freezing nothing but cold air blowing through the aircon
ducts .I called TPE to complain last night and the person in customer
service told me they had received loads of complaints about these new
trains regarding this fault. She also told me their engineers can do
nothing about it the fault is in a box that only Siemen's can sort so
all the trains are being returned one by one to be sorted .

Getting a little OT for this thread now, but the same A/C control fault is
apparently present on the SWT 444/450 Desiros, the DC version of the 185s...

Paul

New Eurostar line from Waterloo Roger the cabin boy London Transport 24 September 25th 03 10:44 PM
Stratford Eurostar station. Zonky London Transport 53 September 24th 03 09:35 AM
Eurostar Rian van der Borgt London Transport 10 September 1st 03 02:09 PM
Eurostar K London Transport 0 August 28th 03 11:19 AM
eurostar route The Equalizer London Transport 0 August 11th 03 11:21 AM