Old March 27th 07, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default North London Line Revisited

On 27 Mar 2007 00:33:50 GMT, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

On Mar 26, 9:09 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote

I think you are missing the situation where paper travelcards are
combined with Oyster PAYG. Say for example that you have a National Rail
season ticket from a station outside the zones that includes a Z2-6
travelcard. If you one day want to travel into zone 1 using LU services
it is not practically possible to combine it with Oyster PAYG.

If the season is on Oyster [snip]

This type of season is not available on Oyster.

Old March 27th 07, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 27, 1:33 am, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
MIG wrote.
On Mar 26, 9:09 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote

I think you are missing the situation where paper travelcards are
combined with Oyster PAYG. Say for example that you have a National

Rail
season ticket from a station outside the zones that includes a Z2-6
travelcard. If you one day want to travel into zone 1 using LU

services
it is not practically possible to combine it with Oyster PAYG.

If the season is on Oyster AND the out of zone travel on NR is on one
of the few 'valid for Oyster PAYG' routes this surely works now ?
Otherwise you have to buy a paper ticket to cover the out of zone
travel on NR or get off in Z2 and transfer to LU which is precisely
"travel into zone 1 using LU".

Thank you, that is exactly the kind of situation I find myself in
repeatedly, living near an NR station, in the opposite direction from
an Oyster stop, with a paper zone 1 and 2 travelcard, and

occasionally
having to go to Canning Town, which requires getting off at North
Greenwich, going up the escalator, touching in and waiting for a

later
train (or else paying £4 for a paper extension).

Getting the travelcard (if it's a weekly or longer season) on Oyster
fixes this, leaving only buying a ODTC and getting an unexpected call
to go to Canning Town during the day.

But that still leaves either having to leave home in the wrong
direction, go to the Oyster stop and then go back past home to the
station (not likely on a work day) or getting back before the shop
closes the evening before, going past home to the shop and going back
again etc etc.

Whatever happens, I am significantly inconvenienced or overcharged for
reasons beyond my control. Pads in trains would fix this, but there
would be a cost.

The sale of reasonably-priced extension tickets to holders of paper
travelcards would be a good compromise that wouldn't involve
installing anything.

Old March 27th 07, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
On 27 Mar 2007 00:33:50 GMT, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

On Mar 26, 9:09 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote

I think you are missing the situation where paper travelcards are
combined with Oyster PAYG. Say for example that you have a National Rail
season ticket from a station outside the zones that includes a Z2-6
travelcard. If you one day want to travel into zone 1 using LU services
it is not practically possible to combine it with Oyster PAYG.

If the season is on Oyster [snip]

This type of season is not available on Oyster.

AHA! There's your problem.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old March 27th 07, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote

On 27 Mar 2007 00:33:50 GMT, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

On Mar 26, 9:09 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote

I think you are missing the situation where paper travelcards are
combined with Oyster PAYG. Say for example that you have a

National Rail
season ticket from a station outside the zones that includes a

Z2-6
travelcard. If you one day want to travel into zone 1 using LU

services
it is not practically possible to combine it with Oyster PAYG.

If the season is on Oyster [snip]

This type of season is not available on Oyster.

Cite please.

When this NG discussed whether a photocard was needed with an Oyster
this was, IIRC, one of the types discussed.

--
Mike D

Old March 27th 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
asdf wrote

On 27 Mar 2007 00:33:50 GMT, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

On Mar 26, 9:09 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote

I think you are missing the situation where paper travelcards are
combined with Oyster PAYG. Say for example that you have a

National Rail
season ticket from a station outside the zones that includes a

Z2-6
travelcard. If you one day want to travel into zone 1 using LU

services
it is not practically possible to combine it with Oyster PAYG.
If the season is on Oyster [snip]

This type of season is not available on Oyster.

Cite please.

You seriously think that a passenger is currently able to go a station
outside the Travelcard zones and get an Oyster Travelcard season to
London? Like I could go to Cambridge station and now buy an Oyster
season there?

When this NG discussed whether a photocard was needed with an Oyster
this was, IIRC, one of the types discussed.

I think you are confused.
--
Michael Hoffman

Old March 28th 07, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 27, 10:18 am, "MIG" wrote:
Getting the travelcard (if it's a weekly or longer season) on Oyster
fixes this, leaving only buying a ODTC and getting an unexpected call
to go to Canning Town during the day.

But that still leaves either having to leave home in the wrong
direction, go to the Oyster stop and then go back past home to the
station (not likely on a work day) or getting back before the shop
closes the evening before, going past home to the shop and going back
again etc etc.

Are you saying that neither your normal origin nor normal destination
station has an Oyster-enabled ticket office or ticket machine?

If not, I don't understand your problem: the effort involved is
exactly the same as that involved in renewing a paper Travelcard.

If so, then a) I'm amazed and b) surely the problem is just the local
TOC's ineptitude (and it is just inepitude: FCC have no problems
dealing with Oyster products, at least at KXTL and Finsbury Park)

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 28th 07, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael Hoffman wrote
Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
asdf wrote

[...]

Again you assert rather than cite. This time you seem to think that a
Travelcard plus NR point A to B must be issued at B and buying by post
or at A or at say C is impossible because you say so.

see below (and some joint NR/LU stations may be other examples).

When this NG discussed whether a photocard was needed with an

Oyster
this was, IIRC, one of the types discussed.

I think you are confused.

The thread was "Annual Oyster and Photocard" and on 18 Jan Paul
Corfield said

=As Travelcards with validity beyond the zones can be sold from LU
offices then these tickets most certainly are issued on Oyster. An
additional "record card" is produced that shows the NR validity outside

the zones to allow ticket inspection. =

--
Mike D
Old March 28th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

The thread was "Annual Oyster and Photocard" and on 18 Jan Paul
Corfield said

=As Travelcards with validity beyond the zones can be sold from LU
offices then these tickets most certainly are issued on Oyster. An
additional "record card" is produced that shows the NR validity outside
the zones to allow ticket inspection. =

No, you are right, I totally forgot that such animals existed. It would
be a nuisance to always have to renew your Travelcard at a LU station
that can issue such tickets (can they all do it or just the joint
stations?).
--
Michael Hoffman
Old March 28th 07, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 28, 11:32 am, "John B" wrote:
On Mar 27, 10:18 am, "MIG" wrote:

[...]

Although I often use LU, particularly at weekends, my most regular
journeys involve SET and SWT. At one end there is now a card-only
Oyster machine. I have used this when my debit card will stand it.

At the other end there is no such machine. At neither end can the
ticket counters deal with Oyster.

However, I often have cash in my pocket and nothing in the bank.
Also, I hope to go back soon to paying by company cheque (loan), which
is no use at either the card-only machine or the shop.

Diverting via an LU ticket office might be a possibility, but this is
still a significant loss of convenience.

I am still punished if I buy the only ticket product available at the
ticket office at my local station (or my destination station). Why
should I have to plan diversions to renew before expiry to get round
this?

The draconian imposition of £4 extensions is completely unfair while
Oyster is not fully available, as I keep saying.

Old April 2nd 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael Hoffman wrote

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

The thread was "Annual Oyster and Photocard" and on 18 Jan Paul
Corfield said

=As Travelcards with validity beyond the zones can be sold from LU

offices then these tickets most certainly are issued on Oyster. An
additional "record card" is produced that shows the NR validity

outside
the zones to allow ticket inspection. =

No, you are right, I totally forgot that such animals existed. It

would
be a nuisance to always have to renew your Travelcard at a LU

station
that can issue such tickets (can they all do it or just the joint
stations?).

Not sure about which LU stations can do it but here is a list of NRs
that can

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...ystercard.html

Fenchurch St and East Croydon are obviously not joint and neither is
Liverpool Street in this context.

--
Mike D