Old March 18th 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default North London Line Revisited

On Mar 18, 1:05 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
If not I expect the nearest junction is
somewhere in Kent which doesn't really provide any solution with respect
to freight from north of the Thames.

The tunnel mouth is here in Dagenham:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51....917&t =k&om=1

Immediately north of it is the LTS line where all the freight arrives
in London from, so a junction here would be very easy.

I think there is a link in the mass of lines near Kings Cross from CTRL
onto the NLL and possibly other lines but that might involve reversal.

That's the CTRL on the right and the NLL junction on the left:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?om=1&i...2,0.022917&t=k

So this is actually a very good route, but I doubnt it'd be allowed.

Not sure how Network Rail will look after CTRL

I don't know if they will look after it. They certainly don't own it.

Old March 18th 07, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Mar, 15:27, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
What did they do when they still had the old Broad Street-Richmond stock?

Dalston Kingsland and all stations east to Stratford were built in
1985 when Broad Street closed.

Old March 18th 07, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 18, 3:27 pm, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,

(Paul Terry) wrote:
In message , David of
Broadway writes

And I can't understand why anyone who lives in the London area or
ever visits the London area wouldn't have an Oyster card.

Perhaps because it cannot be used for occasional travel into London
on most of the National Rail network. This will eventually change,
of course.

Not a good reason not to have an Oyster card for this Cambridge resident.

I bet you are looking forward to Oyster being introduced on FCC/One in
Greater London, so that you'll have to get off to touch in/out and
wait half an hour for the next train every journey or else pay more
for the bit where you could do it on Oyster (probably at an
excessively hiked rate to discourage non-Oyster use in Greater London
etc).

Old March 18th 07, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

Not a good reason not to have an Oyster card for this Cambridge resident.

No, but it is a good reason not to use one for this London resident!
--
Paul Terry
Old March 18th 07, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Metrocard - either in a PAYG type format but with an effective %
discount or unlimited rides over a fixed time period. All Subway
stations with a manned ticket booth sell them as a minimum.

There are also vending machines at all station entrances, manned and
unmanned alike. Unlike at the booths, credit and debit cards are valid
at the machines.

There may be
other outlets but it's been years since I've been to NYC.

There are, although I haven't used any since 2001, when CitySearch
stopped selling MetroCards by mail order.

The one-day unlimited Fun Pass (which, at $7, is a ripoff) is ONLY sold
at vending machines and at out-of-system vendors -- it is NOT sold at
booths.

until the
yanks stop treating all visitors as potential criminals and terrorists
it will be a long time before I visit again despite the fact I love the
city.

If it's any consolations, citizens are treated similarly.

In under two years, we'll have a new president.

Singapore is the EZ Pass and I have one in my wallet.

Interesting. The automated toll collection system that started in the
New York area and has spread across the Northeast (U.S.) and beyond is
called E-ZPass.

Which is simply not going to happen. There will be no return to the old
system although I imagine differentials may moderate once Oyster is
available on all modes across all of London and take up rates on Oyster
are very high.

Quite reasonable.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old March 18th 07, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
David of Broadway wrote

Prepared for what? I had no trouble obtaining an Oyster card at

Heathrow.
And I can't understand why anyone who lives in the London area or

ever
visits the London area wouldn't have an Oyster card.

Me me me (I live near but outside the zones on a NR line).

And for me a paper one day travel card was better value and now I have
a railcard, even better value.

I will admit that I have never been able to figure out ticketing outside
the zones.

A paper ODTC is great if you'll be doing a lot of traveling once in
London, but what if you'll only be taking one or two trips?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA