Old March 18th 07, 10:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras 'Midland Road'

jonmorris wrote:
On 18 Mar, 15:51, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
Why not just "London St. Pancras"? It's effectively the same
station

I was thinking that, considering King's Cross platforms 9-11 aren't
given a special name even though they're away from the main
platforms.

You have King's Cross St Pancras for the underground, come upstairs
and go to King's Cross OR St Pancras. How complicated is that? Once
in either station, you go for the platform required by following the
signs or looking at a map. Why confuse things with another station,
which will be the same as we have now with King's Cross Thameslink!

Gare du Nord in Paris is in a similar situation, having a large terminus
above ground and the RER through lines underground. The terminus has
platforms 1-21 (inter-city/international) and 30-36 (suburban), and the
RER below them has platforms 41-44. As with Kings Cross St Pancras, the
Métro platforms are regarded as a separate station.
--
Richard J.

Old March 19th 07, 08:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
On Mar 16, 8:38 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message

groups.com... On Mar 16, 6:31 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Speaking of which, is there going to be a single domestic ticket office
at
St Pancras run by the majority TOC?
There already is one, run by MML. The ticket office for the Eurostar
and CTRL-DS services will probably be where the original MML ticket
office was located, at the front of the station near the LU SSL ticket
office.

I've since looked at the station plan, I can only see Eurostar mentioned at
the front of the station - I would have thought the 3 domestic services will
be colocated - there seems no reason for CTRL-DS and Eurostar to be together
surely?

Paul

That depends on whether or not CTRL-DS will be a turn-up-and-go
standard railway service, or if it will need all of the security
stuff. If the former is true (common sense would suggest such), then I
suspect that the MML ticket office will sell tickets for CTRL-DS
services. If the latter is true (a stupid move, IMO) then the Eurostar
office will be the place to go.

I have heard no noises about altering the ticket selling arrangements at
the Kent end, so I would surmise that it will just be a regular turn up
and go type service.

Robin
Old March 19th 07, 08:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D7666 wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:36 am, (Nick Leverton) wrote:

Hitachi Class 395, not "Javelin".

But this won't stop someone calling them 6Jav soon - or even 6Jap.

I think you could have just coined a phrase there, Nick

Well possibly )

The -ap bit has a SR connection - 2Hap - and Kent certainly has major
association with the 2Hap fleet even though the -a and the p have no
common meaining.

My impression was that they were seen to take over from where the 2Hal
left off, they beign "half a lav", and I assume the "p" was some
indication of EP brakes.

And again the were 6Pan (so now 6 ja-Pan) , 6Jap could also mean Japan
And Pancras (6 jap-pan) and so on, there are several possibilites
here.

Or to continue the Southern's lavatory fixation, they could be 6Dis, as
they will have disabled lavatories, or 6Ret for retention tanks.

Robin
Old March 19th 07, 09:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 18 Mar, 23:36, "Richard J." wrote:
Gare du Nord in Paris is in a similar situation, having a large terminus
above ground and the RER through lines underground. The terminus has
platforms 1-21 (inter-city/international) and 30-36 (suburban), and the
RER below them has platforms 41-44. As with Kings Cross St Pancras, the
Métro platforms are regarded as a separate station.

Now is the chance for us to get it right. I suppose the only confusion
might arise when we get Thameslink 3-Billion, as I don't know how the
GN side will connect and where trains will terminate (some going to
King's Cross and some going through, via St Pancras)?

Jonathan

Old March 19th 07, 09:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 19 Mar, 10:13, "jonmorris" wrote:
Now is the chance for us to get it right. I suppose the only confusion
might arise when we get Thameslink 3-Billion, as I don't know how the
GN side will connect and where trains will terminate (some going to
King's Cross and some going through, via St Pancras)?

There are new tunnels built as part of CTRL north of the new (St
Pancras Thameslink / Midland Road / whatever) station linking to the
ECML. They don't have any track in them at the moment - this will be
added under the Thameslink Project.

AIUI, all FCC trains that terminate in King's Cross during weekday
daytime hours will run through the Thameslink tunnels after the
project, leaving KX for GNER, Hull and Grand Central services only.

I'm not sure what will happen at weekends and evenings (when FCC local
services currently also run into KX instead of Moorgate).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 19th 07, 10:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John B wrote:

AIUI, all FCC trains that terminate in King's Cross during weekday
daytime hours will run through the Thameslink tunnels after the
project, leaving KX for GNER, Hull and Grand Central services only.

I'm not sure what will happen at weekends and evenings (when FCC local
services currently also run into KX instead of Moorgate).

Presumably there will be capacity in the current suburban trainshed, once
vacated by outer suburban services.

Old March 19th 07, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 11:01:37AM -0000, Peter Masson wrote:

Southeastern and its predecessors make quite a habit of siting ticket
offices at stations they share with other operators well away from the Kent
platforms.

I thought there was one on the eastern side as well.

At Victoria the ticket office is on the Brighton side.

It's where the majority of the trains and the majority of the passengers
are.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Sobol's Law of Telecom Utilities:
Telcos are malicious; cablecos are simply clueless.
Old March 19th 07, 10:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:05:44 on
Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Jack Taylor remarked:
AIUI, all FCC trains that terminate in King's Cross during weekday
daytime hours will run through the Thameslink tunnels after the
project, leaving KX for GNER, Hull and Grand Central services only.

I'm not sure what will happen at weekends and evenings (when FCC local
services currently also run into KX instead of Moorgate).

Presumably there will be capacity in the current suburban trainshed, once
vacated by outer suburban services.

There is capacity today, even before displacing the outer suburbans!
Old March 19th 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

There is capacity today, even before displacing the outer suburbans!

Very true - although at weekends the main trainshed also gets used for
diverted Moorgate services. I was thinking more along the lines that once
the outer suburbans have started running through there will be the
opportunity to banish all "short" formations, such as the Moorgates and Hull
Trains, to the suburban trainshed (which by then will be next to the main
concourse) and reserve the main trainshed exclusively for full-length
formations.

Old March 19th 07, 11:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:09:21 on
Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Jack Taylor remarked:
I was thinking more along the lines that once
the outer suburbans have started running through there will be the
opportunity to banish all "short" formations, such as the Moorgates and Hull
Trains, to the suburban trainshed (which by then will be next to the main
concourse) and reserve the main trainshed exclusively for full-length
formations.

Why? A posh shed for posh trains? Henry would be pleased !

Surely better to close the suburban platforms altogether at weekends,
and give people a shorter walk.