Old March 16th 07, 11:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras 'Midland Road'

The new underground station at St Pancras for Thameslink services is usually
referred to as 'Midland Road' in the various documentation available on the
web.

However - does it actually need a separate name when it comes into use? As I
see it from the station plans its going to be accessed from the same
'entrance cross passage' as the MML and Kent platforms, so why can't it just
use the next two sequential platform numbers? Clearly the station it
replaces needed a separate identity, but I'm not so sure about the new
one...

Paul

Old March 16th 07, 04:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16 Mar, 12:18, "Paul Scott" wrote:
The new underground station at St Pancras for Thameslink services is usually
referred to as 'Midland Road' in the various documentation available on the
web.

However - does it actually need a separate name when it comes into use? As I
see it from the station plans its going to be accessed from the same
'entrance cross passage' as the MML and Kent platforms, so why can't it just
use the next two sequential platform numbers? Clearly the station it
replaces needed a separate identity, but I'm not so sure about the new
one...

Paul

Good point. AFAIAA the final name hasn't yet been decided/confirmed -
St. Pancras Midland Road is the "project name", as it were.

I guess FCC wouldn't be too keen on St Pancras Thameslink, but I'm
sure they don't have a carte blance with regards to the stations
naming.

Old March 16th 07, 04:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote
The new underground station at St Pancras for Thameslink services is
usually
referred to as 'Midland Road' in the various documentation available on
the
web.

However - does it actually need a separate name when it comes into use? As
see it from the station plans its going to be accessed from the same
'entrance cross passage' as the MML and Kent platforms, so why can't it
just
use the next two sequential platform numbers?

Zero and minus one, then?

Old March 16th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:38:21 on
Fri, 16 Mar 2007, John Salmon remarked:
so why can't it just use the next two sequential platform numbers?

Zero and minus one, then?

A and B would seem to be the precedent.
Old March 16th 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:38:21 on Fri,
16 Mar 2007, John Salmon remarked:
so why can't it just use the next two sequential platform numbers?

Zero and minus one, then?

A and B would seem to be the precedent.

I can see where you're coming from, but I can't see why 12 & 13 (a guess
btw) can't be used, although surely as the only through platforms they
should actually be 1 & 2!

Paul

Old March 16th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 6:08 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, but I can't see why 12 & 13 (a guess
btw) can't be used, although surely as the only through platforms they
should actually be 1 & 2!

One day it might be nice to get all the Kings Cross-St Pancras
platforms numbered sequentially! But as the two stations have now been
balkanised into about five I guess it's a non-starter.

Old March 16th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"TimB" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 16, 6:08 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, but I can't see why 12 & 13 (a guess
btw) can't be used, although surely as the only through platforms they
should actually be 1 & 2!

One day it might be nice to get all the Kings Cross-St Pancras
platforms numbered sequentially! But as the two stations have now been
balkanised into about five I guess it's a non-starter.

Speaking of which, is there going to be a single domestic ticket office at
St Pancras run by the majority TOC?

Paul

Old March 16th 07, 06:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 5:13 pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
Good point. AFAIAA the final name hasn't yet been decided/confirmed -
St. Pancras Midland Road is the "project name", as it were.

I guess FCC wouldn't be too keen on St Pancras Thameslink, but I'm
sure they don't have a carte blance with regards to the stations
naming.

Some people are already calling the Thameslink station 'St. Pancras
Midland Road Low Level' and the MML platforms 'St. Pancras Midland
Road High Level'.

I wonder if the CTRL-DS platforms will end up being called 'St.
Pancras Kentish Road'!

Old March 16th 07, 06:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 6:31 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Speaking of which, is there going to be a single domestic ticket office at
St Pancras run by the majority TOC?

There already is one, run by MML. The ticket office for the Eurostar
and CTRL-DS services will probably be where the original MML ticket
office was located, at the front of the station near the LU SSL ticket
office.

Old March 16th 07, 07:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 16, 6:31 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Speaking of which, is there going to be a single domestic ticket office
at
St Pancras run by the majority TOC?

There already is one, run by MML. The ticket office for the Eurostar
and CTRL-DS services will probably be where the original MML ticket
office was located, at the front of the station near the LU SSL ticket
office.

I've since looked at the station plan, I can only see Eurostar mentioned at
the front of the station - I would have thought the 3 domestic services will
be colocated - there seems no reason for CTRL-DS and Eurostar to be together
surely?

Paul