Old March 17th 07, 06:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras 'Midland Road'

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Richard J. wrote:

Why do we have to use a nasty acronym like CTRL-DS?

Anglostar!

tom

--
WHO REPLACED THE CLIENT FILES WITH TEQUILA.. ALFONZ??

Old March 17th 07, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Richard J. wrote:

Why do we have to use a nasty acronym like CTRL-DS?

Anglostar!

--
Michael Hoffman

The abbreviation used in-house is 'RDO' (Reserved[?] Domestic Operator)
Brian

Old March 17th 07, 08:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16 Mar, 19:49, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

Some people are already calling the Thameslink station 'St. Pancras
Midland Road Low Level' and the MML platforms 'St. Pancras Midland
Road High Level'.

I wonder if the CTRL-DS platforms will end up being called 'St.
Pancras Kentish Road'!

I remember reading years ago a suggest that it be called St Pancras
British Musuem.

Old March 17th 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 17, 9:49 pm, "ONscotland" wrote:

I remember reading years ago a suggest that it be called St Pancras
British Musuem.

British Library maybe?

Old March 18th 07, 12:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 12:18 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
The new underground station at St Pancras for Thameslink services is usually
referred to as 'Midland Road' in the various documentation available on the
web.

However - does it actually need a separate name when it comes into use?

Probably does need a single name when it comes into public use - but
the two names might have been in legal use at least for now because
there are 2 projects there - one of which has been overtaken by the
other.

While the whole of TL2000 continues to be stalled, the new St Pancras
station for that stand alone project pre-dates by a very long margin
anything to do with rebuilding the main Stancras station for CTRL and
European services.

I am fairly certain that before CTRL came along, there was no plan to
rebuild the main station undercroft [or if there was, it was not for
rail passenger facilities] and SP Midland Road was (in the main) to be
a seperate station - possibly with some kind of direct subway access -
rather like KX Thameslink is also a seperate entity but connected by
passages if one counts going via the tube lines.

Then along came CTRL embracing MML and CTRL-DS as well as Eurostar and
the complete rebuild added into the TL2000 idea of the new low level
Thameslink station. Almost certainly this has a different planning
permission and/or other legal or documented name. Two projects with
two names than have combined.

Thats only my suggestion why there are 2 names to date, and does not
answer the valid point about what the names will be or could be when
the whole complex is open.

--
Nick

Old March 18th 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 17, 8:36 am, (Nick Leverton) wrote:

Hitachi Class 395, not "Javelin".

But this won't stop someone calling them 6Jav soon - or even 6Jap.

I think you could have just coined a phrase there, Nick

Well possibly )

The -ap bit has a SR connection - 2Hap - and Kent certainly has major
association with the 2Hap fleet even though the -a and the p have no
common meaining.

And again the were 6Pan (so now 6 ja-Pan) , 6Jap could also mean Japan
And Pancras (6 jap-pan) and so on, there are several possibilites
here.

Might provide some amusement for uk.railway debates in the 22nd
century when someone asks what 20th/21st century SR EMU acronyms
meant.

I have to add 'Jap' is not a term I would normally use myself - but I
can't help feeling it is an obvious one that might come into common
parlance.

--
Nick

Old March 18th 07, 02:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16 Mar 2007 10:13:34 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

I guess FCC wouldn't be too keen on St Pancras Thameslink, but I'm
sure they don't have a carte blance with regards to the stations
naming.

Why not just "London St. Pancras"? It's effectively the same station
(cf Merseyrail).

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 18th 07, 05:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16 Mar 2007 12:49:24 -0700, "TheOneKEA"
wrote:

On Mar 16, 5:13 pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
Good point. AFAIAA the final name hasn't yet been decided/confirmed -
St. Pancras Midland Road is the "project name", as it were.

I guess FCC wouldn't be too keen on St Pancras Thameslink, but I'm
sure they don't have a carte blance with regards to the stations
naming.

Some people are already calling the Thameslink station 'St. Pancras
Midland Road Low Level' and the MML platforms 'St. Pancras Midland
Road High Level'.

I wonder if the CTRL-DS platforms will end up being called 'St.
Pancras Kentish Road'!

Surely it should be St Pancras Pancras Road.

--
Peter Lawrence
Old March 18th 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 18 Mar, 15:51, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
Why not just "London St. Pancras"? It's effectively the same station

I was thinking that, considering King's Cross platforms 9-11 aren't
given a special name even though they're away from the main platforms.

You have King's Cross St Pancras for the underground, come upstairs
and go to King's Cross OR St Pancras. How complicated is that? Once in
either station, you go for the platform required by following the
signs or looking at a map. Why confuse things with another station,
which will be the same as we have now with King's Cross Thameslink!

Jonathan