Old March 19th 07, 04:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Tube dissected

On Mar 19, 1:11 pm, wrote:
I'm sure I saw at one point, many years ago, plans for the ELL to go
from Highbury to Finsbury Park, then across the Parkland Walk to
Highgate and on to take over the Mill Hill East branch of the Northern
Line and terminate there. That obviously came to nothing.

Only tube trains can fit north of east finchley now AFAIK because of
the bridge rebuilt in the 90s that takes the widened north circular
over the track was made quite low. Another good bit of foresight
there. Would it have really cost so much to keep the bridge the same
height as its predecessor? Also I think the bridge at west finchley
station might be quite low too.

B2003

Old March 19th 07, 05:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Clive." wrote in message
In message , Peter Masson
writes
Other
examples are the proposed Central Line extension to Denham

Where is Denham and which part was going to be extended to it?
--
Clive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denham%2C_Buckinghamshire

Old March 20th 07, 06:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Mike Bristow wrote:

In article ,
R.C. Payne wrote:

The other point is that the Northern line is quite full enough as it is,
could the modern Northern line cope with the extra traffic?

The plan would have had the service going from Edgeware via Highgate,
Finsbury Park, to Moorgate. So yes, probably.

Am i right in thinking the shared stretch between Highgate and Finchley
Central would have been four-track?

tom

--
Destroy - kill all hippies.
Old March 20th 07, 06:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Boltar wrote:

On Mar 19, 1:11 pm, wrote:

I'm sure I saw at one point, many years ago, plans for the ELL to go
from Highbury to Finsbury Park, then across the Parkland Walk to
Highgate and on to take over the Mill Hill East branch of the Northern
Line and terminate there. That obviously came to nothing.

Only tube trains can fit north of east finchley now AFAIK because of the
bridge rebuilt in the 90s that takes the widened north circular over the
track was made quite low. Another good bit of foresight there. Would it
have really cost so much to keep the bridge the same height as its
predecessor? Also I think the bridge at west finchley station might be
quite low too.

The trackbed could be lowered. More expensive than building the bridge
right in the first place, i agree, but at least it's not impossible.

tom

--
Destroy - kill all hippies.