London Banter

-   -   Beck map 75th anniversary next year (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5113-beck-map-75th-anniversary-next.html)

John Rowland March 20th 07 11:11 AM

Beck map 75th anniversary next year

Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way? Apart
from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London icon, and then
banning it.

Richard J. March 20th 07 08:36 PM

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone "banned" the
Beck map?
--
Richard J.

Helen Deborah Vecht March 20th 07 08:46 PM

Beck map 75th anniversary next year

"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone "banned" the
Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Paul Corfield March 20th 07 09:04 PM

Beck map 75th anniversary next year

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:11:16 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?

I have heard nothing from within TfL but I would imagine that the Museum
almost certainly would do something. The chap who has written the
various books on the Beck Map and Metro Maps works at the Museum IIRC.

Apart
from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London icon, and then
banning it.

Cynical! I really don't think the tube map will ever be removed. The
outcry would be far too great. The bigger challenge is to keep it
effective as things like Overground get added on together with an
expanded DLR network.
--
Paul C

Paul Scott March 20th 07 09:14 PM

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way? Apart
from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London icon, and then
banning it.

They've named one of the Metronet 'renewing the tube' Class 66s Harry Beck,
and placed a brass representation of the underground map on the side. One
year early if next year is the actual anniversary though...

Paul S

Richard J. March 20th 07 09:25 PM

Beck map 75th anniversary next year

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone
"banned" the Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

Oh, *that* was what I missed! Thanks, Helen.

Still, you can't blame Livingstone for banning the Routemaster, what
with its external staircase, and the peculiar clothes that its
passengers wore ...
(See the photo and its caption at
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...03-buses_x.htm )

--
Richard J.

Jim Brittin March 20th 07 10:50 PM

Beck map 75th anniversary next year

In article , rjnews1130
@blueukder.co.yon says...
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone
"banned" the Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

Oh, *that* was what I missed! Thanks, Helen.

Still, you can't blame Livingstone for banning the Routemaster, what
with its external staircase, and the peculiar clothes that its
passengers wore ...
(See the photo and its caption at
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...03-buses_x.htm )

Interesting, didn't know ST922 ran on that last day, would have liked to
have seen it.

Photo at http://shane-conway.fotopic.net/p34297920.html

Jim Brittin March 20th 07 10:59 PM

Beck map 75th anniversary next year

In article , rjnews1130
@blueukder.co.yon says...
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone
"banned" the Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

Oh, *that* was what I missed! Thanks, Helen.

Still, you can't blame Livingstone for banning the Routemaster, what
with its external staircase, and the peculiar clothes that its
passengers wore ...
(See the photo and its caption at
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...03-buses_x.htm )

Another attractive picture of that bus here
http://hertsmantransportbus.fotopic.net/p22131253.html

martyn dawe March 21st 07 10:03 PM

Beck map 75th anniversary next year

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:59:19 -0000, Jim Brittin
[wake up to reply] wrote:

In article , rjnews1130
says...
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone
"banned" the Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

Oh, *that* was what I missed! Thanks, Helen.

Still, you can't blame Livingstone for banning the Routemaster, what
with its external staircase, and the peculiar clothes that its
passengers wore ...
(See the photo and its caption at
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...03-buses_x.htm )

Another attractive picture of that bus here
http://hertsmantransportbus.fotopic.net/p22131253.html

in what way would you consider to be outside the bus ?

John Rowland March 22nd 07 01:35 AM

Jim Brittin wrote:

Another attractive picture of that bus here
http://hertsmantransportbus.fotopic.net/p22131253.html

I like the way the man leaving the "Dance Umbrella" show at Sadlers Wells is
dancing, and holding an umbrella.