Old March 20th 07, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Beck map 75th anniversary next year

Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way? Apart
from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London icon, and then
banning it.

Old March 20th 07, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone "banned" the
Beck map?
--
Richard J.

Old March 20th 07, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone "banned" the
Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old March 20th 07, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:11:16 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?

I have heard nothing from within TfL but I would imagine that the Museum
almost certainly would do something. The chap who has written the
various books on the Beck Map and Metro Maps works at the Museum IIRC.

Apart
from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London icon, and then
banning it.

Cynical! I really don't think the tube map will ever be removed. The
outcry would be far too great. The bigger challenge is to keep it
effective as things like Overground get added on together with an
expanded DLR network.
--
Paul C

Old March 20th 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way? Apart
from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London icon, and then
banning it.

They've named one of the Metronet 'renewing the tube' Class 66s Harry Beck,
and placed a brass representation of the underground map on the side. One
year early if next year is the actual anniversary though...

Paul S

Old March 20th 07, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone
"banned" the Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

Oh, *that* was what I missed! Thanks, Helen.

Still, you can't blame Livingstone for banning the Routemaster, what
with its external staircase, and the peculiar clothes that its
passengers wore ...
(See the photo and its caption at
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...03-buses_x.htm )

--
Richard J.

Old March 20th 07, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , rjnews1130
@blueukder.co.yon says...
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone
"banned" the Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

Oh, *that* was what I missed! Thanks, Helen.

Still, you can't blame Livingstone for banning the Routemaster, what
with its external staircase, and the peculiar clothes that its
passengers wore ...
(See the photo and its caption at
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...03-buses_x.htm )

Interesting, didn't know ST922 ran on that last day, would have liked to
have seen it.

Photo at http://shane-conway.fotopic.net/p34297920.html
Old March 20th 07, 10:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , rjnews1130
@blueukder.co.yon says...
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone
"banned" the Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

Oh, *that* was what I missed! Thanks, Helen.

Still, you can't blame Livingstone for banning the Routemaster, what
with its external staircase, and the peculiar clothes that its
passengers wore ...
(See the photo and its caption at
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...03-buses_x.htm )

Another attractive picture of that bus here
http://hertsmantransportbus.fotopic.net/p22131253.html
Old March 21st 07, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:59:19 -0000, Jim Brittin
[wake up to reply] wrote:

In article , rjnews1130
says...
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Richard J." typed

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if TfL are planning to commemorate it in any way?
Apart from Ken Livingstone declaring it to be world famous London
icon, and then banning it.

Have I missed something? In what sense has Ken Livingstone
"banned" the Beck map?

I think it was a reference to the fate of the Routemaster...

Oh, *that* was what I missed! Thanks, Helen.

Still, you can't blame Livingstone for banning the Routemaster, what
with its external staircase, and the peculiar clothes that its
passengers wore ...
(See the photo and its caption at
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...03-buses_x.htm )

Another attractive picture of that bus here
http://hertsmantransportbus.fotopic.net/p22131253.html

in what way would you consider to be outside the bus ?
Old March 22nd 07, 01:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jim Brittin wrote:

Another attractive picture of that bus here
http://hertsmantransportbus.fotopic.net/p22131253.html

I like the way the man leaving the "Dance Umbrella" show at Sadlers Wells is
dancing, and holding an umbrella.