They must have a lot of people working on that the travel information line I
always seem to get straight through. Apart from the day when there was loads
of snow :)

Steve Fitzgerald March 27th 07 09:41 PM

0207 222 1234

In message ,
writes
They must have a lot of people working on that the travel information line I
always seem to get straight through. Apart from the day when there was loads
of snow :)

ITYM 020 7222 1234

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the
Consett/Stanley area in the North East. Try dialling 222 1234 locally
and see what happens.

Exchange March 27th 07 11:06 PM

0207 222 1234

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message ,
writes
They must have a lot of people working on that the travel information line
always seem to get straight through. Apart from the day when there was
loads
of snow :)

ITYM 020 7222 1234

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the Consett/Stanley
area in the North East. Try dialling 222 1234 locally and see what
happens.

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.
And so is Scotland Yard, Waterloo station, Battersea power station
Selfridges, Every theatre in Covent Garden, Paddington Green,
Arding and Hobbs Clapham Junction, The Bull and Bush Mayfair,
The Worlds end Camden Town, Billy B of Bermondsey etc etc

Yours must be an 0208 number?

Henry March 27th 07 11:18 PM

0207 222 1234

On 28-Mar-2007, "Exchange" wrote:

ITYM 020 7222 1234

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the Consett/Stanley
area in the North East. Try dialling 222 1234 locally and see what
happens.

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.

Go to here, and search for 0207:
http://tinyurl.com/354p6p
"Sorry, there was no match for 0207. Please try again."
How come?

Ernst S Blofeld March 27th 07 11:27 PM

0207 222 1234

Exchange wrote:

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207. And so is Scotland Yard, Waterloo station, Battersea power

station
Selfridges, Every theatre in Covent Garden, Paddington Green,
Arding and Hobbs Clapham Junction, The Bull and Bush Mayfair,
The Worlds end Camden Town, Billy B of Bermondsey etc etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0207_and_0208

ESB

Exchange March 27th 07 11:33 PM

0207 222 1234

"Henry" wrote in message

On 28-Mar-2007, "Exchange"
wrote:

ITYM 020 7222 1234

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the
Consett/Stanley
area in the North East. Try dialling 222 1234 locally and see what
happens.

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.

Go to here, and search for 0207:
http://tinyurl.com/354p6p
"Sorry, there was no match for 0207. Please try again."
How come?

http://tinyurl.com/2q87fa
Type: 020
London has two codes 0207 and 0208

Just one example of a London 0207 number being St Thomas's
hospital on South side of Westminster bridge opposite House of
Parliament:
http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/vi...lstthomas.aspx

And this is one example of a London 0208 number
scroll down to Tottenham
http://www.powerleague.co.uk/location.asp

Richard J. March 27th 07 11:40 PM

0207 222 1234

Exchange wrote:
"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message ,
writes
They must have a lot of people working on that the travel
information line I
always seem to get straight through. Apart from the day when
there was loads
of snow :)

ITYM 020 7222 1234

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the
Consett/Stanley area in the North East. Try dialling 222 1234
locally and see what happens.

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.

You would think that someone calling himself "Exchange" would be more
knowledgeable about such things. ALL numbers in London have an area
code of 020 followed by a 4-digit exchange code (which currently begins
with 3, 7 or 8) followed by a 4-digit number. I'm amazed that this
still needs to be explained to people 9 years after the 020 code was
introduced.
--
Richard J.

Paul Cummins March 27th 07 11:50 PM

0207 222 1234

In article ,
am (Exchange) wrote:

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.

There's no such dialling code.

I have a London number. It starts 020. As do ALL London numbers.

Clue - try dialling 222 1234

--
Paul Cummins
*FREE* mobile phone -

Adrian March 27th 07 11:53 PM

0207 222 1234

On Mar 27, 4:40 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Exchange wrote:
[...]

(to e-mail me, swap uk and yon in address)- Hide quoted text -

Indeed. Ignorance has gone to seed.

Some people seem to think that my number starts '00' the international
access code. In point of fact it starts 9200 and is in the STD code
023 but said folks insist that the dialling code is 02392!

Adrian

Richard J. March 28th 07 12:07 AM

0207 222 1234

Exchange wrote:
"Henry" wrote in message

On 28-Mar-2007, "Exchange"
wrote:

ITYM 020 7222 1234

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the
Consett/Stanley area in the North East. Try dialling 222
1234 locally and see what happens.

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.

Go to here, and search for 0207:
http://tinyurl.com/354p6p
"Sorry, there was no match for 0207. Please try again."
How come?

http://tinyurl.com/2q87fa
Type: 020
London has two codes 0207 and 0208

NO! From the OFCOM site's FAQ:

"Q: Since when has the London Code been 020? Aren’t there two London
codes – 0207 and 0208?

A: There has only been one area code for London (020) since April 2000.
In 1997, following public consultation, Oftel announced that 020 would
become the code for Greater London with effect from April 2000,
following 2 years of parallel running with 0171 and 0181 (ie, between
1998 and 2000).

With the adoption of 020, Greater London moved from having 7-digit local
numbers to having 8-digit local numbers. ‘8’ or ‘7’ became the first
digit of the local number, depending on whether the number had
previously been Inner (0171) or Outer (0181) London."

Just one example of a London 0207 number being St Thomas's
hospital on South side of Westminster bridge opposite House of
Parliament:
http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/vi...lstthomas.aspx

"Tel: 020 7188 7188"

And this is one example of a London 0208 number
scroll down to Tottenham
http://www.powerleague.co.uk/location.asp

Yes, they're ignorant too.

--
Richard J.

James Farrar March 28th 07 01:03 AM

0207 222 1234

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:40:40 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Exchange wrote:
[...]

My favourite is when I'm quoting my work number to a customer that
also has an 020 number. I drop the dialling code and say "it's 7580"
and they say "07580"...

Phil Reynolds March 28th 07 05:27 AM

0207 222 1234

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 00:50:00 +0100, Paul Cummins wrote:

I have a London number. It starts 020. As do ALL London numbers.

Clue - try dialling 222 1234

I have several London numbers. One of them starts with 82, the others 70.

The number of times I have quoted my new number as 020 (deliberate pause)
70xx (deliberate pause) xxxx only to have the recipient render it as 0207
0xx xxxx is ridiculous. That number was not even valid before 020.

You hear people quote "0171 became 0207" etc..., which, for simplicity of
which digits to dial nationally, is true, but to be correct, is not.

I managed to allow simple London dialling on my PBX - any 8-digit number
beginning with 3, 7 or 8 is treated as such. Trouble will come if 4
becomes the first digit - I may have to insist on national dialling then.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: (though I'd prefer followups on group)

MaxB March 28th 07 08:17 AM

0207 222 1234

"Phil Reynolds" wrote in message
[...]

You still see a lot of headed stationary, van sides, shop fronts etc with
the 7 or 8 detached from the rest of the number. Actually, the change was a
nuisance for everybody since long established easy to remember numbers, for
example, 222 (formerly ABBey) 1234 became the less memorable 7222 1234. In
fact TfL spent a lot of money buying 222 2222 (formerly belonging to a shop
in Broadway next to St. James' station) but I am not sure what use they have
ever made of it. Probably Bob Kiley's direct line!

MaxB

Fig March 28th 07 08:44 AM

0207 222 1234

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 00:40:40 +0100, Richard J.
wrote:

ALL numbers in London have an area code of 020 followed by a 4-digit
exchange code...

Beg pardon?
Are you saying that all numbers on the same exchange will start with the
same 4 first numbers?
I guess not, but what do you mean by '4-digit exchange code'?

--
Fig

thoss March 28th 07 09:23 AM

0207 222 1234

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 MaxB wrote:

You still see a lot of headed stationary, van sides, shop fronts etc
with the 7 or 8 detached from the rest of the number. Actually, the
change was a nuisance for everybody since long established easy to
remember numbers, for example, 222 (formerly ABBey) 1234 became the less
memorable 7222 1234. In fact TfL spent a lot of money buying 222 2222
(formerly belonging to a shop in Broadway next to St. James' station)
but I am not sure what use they have ever made of it. Probably Bob
Kiley's direct line!

Have you tried dialling it?
--
Thoss

Paul Scott March 28th 07 09:39 AM

0207 222 1234

"thoss" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 MaxB wrote:

You still see a lot of headed stationary, van sides, shop fronts etc
with the 7 or 8 detached from the rest of the number. Actually, the
change was a nuisance for everybody since long established easy to
remember numbers, for example, 222 (formerly ABBey) 1234 became the less
memorable 7222 1234. In fact TfL spent a lot of money buying 222 2222
(formerly belonging to a shop in Broadway next to St. James' station)
but I am not sure what use they have ever made of it. Probably Bob
Kiley's direct line!

Have you tried dialling it?

A recorded message tells you your '2' key is probably bust?

Isn't it suspected that much of the reluctance to use the codes properly
comes from people who believe there is a social cachet to (what they believe
is) the inner London area?

However, the BT system is not consistent nationally. Their web dialling
code finder tells you that 0207 and 0208 are not recognised codes, but they
did the same type of change in Portsmouth (023 92nn nnnn) and Southampton
(023 80nn nnnn), but 023 is not a recognised area code, 02392 and 02380 show
up as good. Local dialling definitely requires 8 digits, can anyone explain
that?

Paul

Steve Fitzgerald March 28th 07 09:53 AM

0207 222 1234

In message , Exchange
writes

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the Consett/Stanley
area in the North East. Try dialling 222 1234 locally and see what
happens.

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.
And so is Scotland Yard, Waterloo station, Battersea power station
Selfridges, Every theatre in Covent Garden, Paddington Green,
Arding and Hobbs Clapham Junction, The Bull and Bush Mayfair,
The Worlds end Camden Town, Billy B of Bermondsey etc etc

Wrong - they are all 020

Yours must be an 0208 number?

Nope, it's an 020 number.

Richard J. March 28th 07 09:57 AM

0207 222 1234

wrote:

ALL numbers in London have an area code of 020 followed by a
4-digit exchange code...

Beg pardon?
Are you saying that all numbers on the same exchange will start
with the same 4 first numbers?
I guess not, but what do you mean by '4-digit exchange code'?

To take the number in the title of this thread as an example, the
enquiries number for London Transport used to be ABBey 1234, one of up
to 9999 numbers on the ABBey exchange, which became the 222 exchange
when all-figure numbers were introduced. That exchange is now the 7222
exchange, and all numbers on that exchange have the format 020 7222
xxxx. 7222 is what I called the '4-digit exchange code', though I note
that OFCOM now refer to the area code (020 in this example) and the
'number' (7222 1234) without any mention of 'exchange'. In London it
has always been necessary to dial all 8 (formerly 7) numbers including
the exchange code for local calls within London.
--
Richard J.

thoss March 28th 07 10:50 AM

0207 222 1234

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 Richard J. wrote:

In London it
has always been necessary to dial all 8 (formerly 7) numbers including
the exchange code for local calls within London.

But you can also dial the full 11-digit number including the area code
020 at the front.

--
Thoss

Fig March 28th 07 10:52 AM

0207 222 1234

wrote:

[...]

I understand, although I think your reasoning is out of date. Surely now,
the code for London is 020 and no inference can be made at all about the
next 4 digits. Numbers connected to a given exchange in London will be 8
digits long and the only thing connecting them is that they will start
with either 3,7or8?

--
Fig

Helen Deborah Vecht March 28th 07 10:54 AM

0207 222 1234

Fig typed

wrote:

ALL numbers in London have an area code of 020 followed by a 4-digit
exchange code...

Beg pardon?
Are you saying that all numbers on the same exchange will start with the
same 4 first numbers?
I guess not, but what do you mean by '4-digit exchange code'?

Many exchanges have more than one four digit exchange code. 8458 and
8455 have originated from the same place for as long as I can remember
(Speedwell and Meadway before all figure numbers...)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Ernst S Blofeld March 28th 07 11:06 AM

020 7222 1234

Richard J. wrote:
To take the number in the title of this thread as an example, the
enquiries number for London Transport used to be ABBey 1234, one of up
to 9999 numbers on the ABBey exchange, which became the 222 exchange
when all-figure numbers were introduced. That exchange is now the 7222
exchange, and all numbers on that exchange have the format 020 7222
xxxx.

There is no such thing as an 'exchange code'. Telephone numbers are
virtualised and are not tied to particular lines or exchanges although,
for historical reasons and ease of management, numbers will correlate
strongly with particular exchanges.

ESB

Helen Deborah Vecht March 28th 07 11:10 AM

0207 222 1234

Fig typed

I understand, although I think your reasoning is out of date. Surely now,
the code for London is 020 and no inference can be made at all about the
next 4 digits. Numbers connected to a given exchange in London will be 8
digits long and the only thing connecting them is that they will start
with either 3,7or8?

True but many numbers give big clues to their geographical location.

I certainly like to know if a call is from 7PAD dington, 8HAR row or
8COL indale

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Paul Scott March 28th 07 11:28 AM

0207 222 1234

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Fig typed

I understand, although I think your reasoning is out of date. Surely now,
the code for London is 020 and no inference can be made at all about the
next 4 digits. Numbers connected to a given exchange in London will be 8
digits long and the only thing connecting them is that they will start
with either 3,7or8?

True but many numbers give big clues to their geographical location.

I certainly like to know if a call is from 7PAD dington, 8HAR row or
8COL indale

If as others have said, numbers throughout the 020 area are 'virtual' can
these numbers be retained by someone moving elsewhere in the London area,
and as numbers are recycled, will 3,7 and 8 appear everywhere?

Paul

Ernst S Blofeld March 28th 07 01:54 PM

020 7222 1234

Paul Scott wrote:

If as others have said, numbers throughout the 020 area are 'virtual' can
these numbers be retained by someone moving elsewhere in the London area,
and as numbers are recycled, will 3,7 and 8 appear everywhere?

Let's put it this way. There are two big phone providers in the London
area, BT and Virgin Media. Numbers are portable between carriers and
within carriers subject to a few limitations and possible costs
depending on the circumstances. As time goes by, the geographical
correlation will reduce with porting but given the size of the existing
user base, it seems unlikely that it will disappear entirely. Recycled
numbers tend to stay in the same place.

To add to the confusing mix, a VoIP provider, like Skype, can give you
an 020 number (just one of many available UK STD codes) and so this
clearly does not lend itself to any meaningful geographical
interpretation. They're just numbers.

ESB

Phil Reynolds March 28th 07 05:30 PM

0207 222 1234

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:10:31 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

True but many numbers give big clues to their geographical location.

I certainly like to know if a call is from 7PAD dington, 8HAR row or
8COL indale

Even though it's not so clear any more, a lot of that is true.

7BER mondsey, for example... though the only number I watch out for there
is sadly not a 7237 but a 7232.

Of course, HENdon became, through all the changes, 8201 - presumably
because they tied it in with COLindale.

Paul Corfield March 28th 07 06:01 PM

0207 222 1234

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:53:05 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

In message , Exchange
writes

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the Consett/Stanley
area in the North East. Try dialling 222 1234 locally and see what
happens.

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.
And so is Scotland Yard, Waterloo station, Battersea power station
Selfridges, Every theatre in Covent Garden, Paddington Green,
Arding and Hobbs Clapham Junction, The Bull and Bush Mayfair,
The Worlds end Camden Town, Billy B of Bermondsey etc etc

Wrong - they are all 020

Yours must be an 0208 number?

Nope, it's an 020 number.

Well done on generating about 30 responses from such a simple remark.
--
Paul C

Steve Fitzgerald March 28th 07 08:54 PM

0207 222 1234

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.
And so is Scotland Yard, Waterloo station, Battersea power station
Selfridges, Every theatre in Covent Garden, Paddington Green,
Arding and Hobbs Clapham Junction, The Bull and Bush Mayfair,
The Worlds end Camden Town, Billy B of Bermondsey etc etc

Wrong - they are all 020

Yours must be an 0208 number?

Nope, it's an 020 number.

Well done on generating about 30 responses from such a simple remark.

One does one's best ;)

Graham J March 28th 07 09:36 PM

0207 222 1234

Nope, it's an 020 number.

Well done on generating about 30 responses from such a simple remark.

Thanks also for showing that it isn't just me that gets irritated by it.

Mayday University Hospital still sends out appointment letters with an 0181
number appearing on them so I suppose that is even worse than it would be if
they used 0208.

G.

Steve Fitzgerald March 28th 07 10:44 PM

0207 222 1234

In message , Graham J
writes
Nope, it's an 020 number.

Well done on generating about 30 responses from such a simple remark.

Thanks also for showing that it isn't just me that gets irritated by it.

Mayday University Hospital still sends out appointment letters with an 0181
number appearing on them so I suppose that is even worse than it would be if
they used 0208.

No doubt they will just change the 0181 to 0208 on the replacement batch
of letters they order, and perpetuate the confusion :s

I really can't understand why this has all become so confusing.
Everybody who rings numbers locally in London can just dial the last 8
digits of the 'full' number, so it should be obvious that the dialling
code is 020 from that. I suppose with the advent of mobile phones,
people are more and more used to dialling the full number wherever they
are - I know I frequently do.

Michael Hoffman March 28th 07 11:12 PM

0207 222 1234

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Everybody who rings numbers locally in London can just dial the last 8
digits of the 'full' number, so it should be obvious that the dialling
code is 020 from that.

Somehow, I imagine there are many people in London who don't know that
they can do that.
--
Michael Hoffman

Graham J March 29th 07 10:59 AM

0207 222 1234

Well done on generating about 30 responses from such a simple remark.

Thanks also for showing that it isn't just me that gets irritated by it.

Mayday University Hospital still sends out appointment letters with an
0181
number appearing on them so I suppose that is even worse than it would be
if
they used 0208.

No doubt they will just change the 0181 to 0208 on the replacement batch
of letters they order, and perpetuate the confusion :s

Well the letters actually also all have the correct 020 number too and are
computer generated so it is more human laziness I suspect. It looks like
they have a standard template for each department to put in its appointments
number and it defaults to the old 0181 version of the switchboard. So it is
not only a useless number but even updated it is the wrong one.

G.

Helen Deborah Vecht March 29th 07 11:03 AM

0207 222 1234

Phil Reynolds typed

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:10:31 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

True but many numbers give big clues to their geographical location.

I certainly like to know if a call is from 7PAD dington, 8HAR row or
8COL indale

Even though it's not so clear any more, a lot of that is true.

7BER mondsey, for example... though the only number I watch out for there
is sadly not a 7237 but a 7232.

Of course, HENdon became, through all the changes, 8201 - presumably
because they tied it in with COLindale.

The Hendon Exchanges became 202 (Sunnyhill) and 203 IIRC. 201 is a
newcomer, as is 209.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

thoss March 29th 07 11:05 AM

0207 222 1234

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

In message , Graham J
writes
Nope, it's an 020 number.

Well done on generating about 30 responses from such a simple remark.

Thanks also for showing that it isn't just me that gets irritated by it.

Mayday University Hospital still sends out appointment letters with an 0181
number appearing on them so I suppose that is even worse than it would be if
they used 0208.

No doubt they will just change the 0181 to 0208 on the replacement batch
of letters they order, and perpetuate the confusion :s

I really can't understand why this has all become so confusing.

I can. It's because the London numbers changed from 071 and 081 to 0171
and 0181 at the time they introduced area codes starting 01. Had they
gone straight to 020 at that time, much of the confusion would never
have happened.

Everybody who rings numbers locally in London can just dial the last 8
digits of the 'full' number, so it should be obvious that the dialling
code is 020 from that. I suppose with the advent of mobile phones,
people are more and more used to dialling the full number wherever they
are - I know I frequently do.

And that is of course what you have to enter into a Caller ID phone
memory to get it to display the name.
--
Thoss

[email protected] March 29th 07 12:29 PM

0207 222 1234

On Mar 29, 12:12 am, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
Everybody who rings numbers locally in London can just dial the last 8
digits of the 'full' number, so it should be obvious that the dialling
code is 020 from that.

Somehow, I imagine there are many people in London who don't know that
they can do that.

The scary thing is that this was such a simple change, and there are
still 59% of the population who don't understand it. Just tax the
stupid people!

Colin Rosenstiel March 29th 07 12:55 PM

0207 222 1234

In article ,
am (Exchange) wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2q87fa
Type: 020
London has two codes 0207 and 0208

You're going to get mighty confused when you try to dial an 020 3xxx xxxx
number then!

Just one example of a London 0207 number being St Thomas's
hospital on South side of Westminster bridge opposite House of
Parliament:
http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/vi...lstthomas.aspx

The number of people in London ignorant of their phone numbering system
never ceases to amaze me. And I work there.

The change was quite simple after all. London went back to one area code
again but with 8 digit local numbers. All the old ones had 7 or 8 added
to the front, depending on whether they were in the old 0171 or 0181
areas previously. Is that so very hard to grasp?

I wonder how much time is wasted by people in London dialling 11 digits
all the time instead of 8?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel March 29th 07 12:55 PM

0207 222 1234

wrote:

[...]

We have an ABBey (7222) number at work but most of our lines are on 7227
and 7340 numbers these days. So a London local "exchange" is a bit
meaningless.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel March 29th 07 12:55 PM

0207 222 1234

In article ,
(thoss) wrote:

I really can't understand why this has all become so confusing.

I can. It's because the London numbers changed from 071 and 081 to
0171 and 0181 at the time they introduced area codes starting 01. Had
they gone straight to 020 at that time, much of the confusion would
never have happened.

They couldn't because it would have caused too much confusion nationally.
There had to be a gap in which 0207 and 0208 (and others) were not valid.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Graham J March 29th 07 03:24 PM

0207 222 1234

I can. It's because the London numbers changed from 071 and 081 to 0171
and 0181 at the time they introduced area codes starting 01. Had they
gone straight to 020 at that time, much of the confusion would never
have happened.

I'd shift the problem back even further. Going from 01 to 071 and 081 was
the short sighted move for me. I was at UCL at the time and they went from
having a single telephone number to direct dialling of all extensions at
around that time. So I was underwhelmed at the boasts of a doubling of the
numbering space when just one institution was now using about 10,000 times
the numbers it was. Was there a technical reason why eight digit numbers
couldn't have been introduced back then and saved us all a lot of hassle?

Phil Reynolds March 29th 07 06:46 PM

0207 222 1234

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:03:04 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Of course, HENdon became, through all the changes, 8201 - presumably
because they tied it in with COLindale.

The Hendon Exchanges became 202 (Sunnyhill) and 203 IIRC. 201 is a
newcomer, as is 209.

Ah, yes, HENdon went to 202, and SUNnyhill 203 according to the list at
http://www.rhaworth.myby.co.uk/phreak/tenp_01.htm

8209 of course is new, because in the old days, there was BOWes Park which
became 888.