Old April 17th 07, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Yes, it's Another Arcane Oyster Question!

Kieran Turner wrote:
Dave Newt wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's not the case in my experience... For some reason,
the gates NEVER EVER tell me my season ticket is about to expire, so I
often find later in the day that I have paid for the morning's journey
using the bit of pre-pay I have on the card*. If I then renew the
season ticket, it doesn't give me anything back for the morning's
journey.
* Which is why I try to keep as small as possible an amount on the
card now. It's annoying and I don't know why I never get an "about to
expire" message on the gates. I just try to remember to put a
reminder in my phone for when it runs out when I buy a new one now.

Could it be that the pre-pay money (i.e. validity) is the reason you don't
get the warning?

That's what I've assumed, but I've mentioned it on here before and
people seemed to think that THEIR Oyster (with season plus PAYG) DID
show the message and so maybe I had just not noticed it (or used the
type of gates that don't do it).

However, I do wonder whether it might be something related to the card
itself, as I was a fairly early adopter and must have one of the first
few (public) batches of cards. Maybe it's a bug fixed in later ones. I'm
still guessing, mind you.

The logic (if this is the case) presumably being that the
card as a whole is not going to expire, so you will still be able to travel.

(Guessing. Another issue for someone who *knows* ;-)

Me too!