London Banter

-   -   3 weeks in London buy Oyster card in USA? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5175-3-weeks-london-buy-oyster.html)

[email protected] April 12th 07 01:28 PM

3 weeks in London buy Oyster card in USA?

Hello,

We are renting an apartment in central London (zone 1) for 3 weeks in
July. My husband will need to use the public transport every day to do
his research, and I will be using it most days taking the kids to
various places.

We believe we should buy some type of Oyster card, but my question is
whether it makes sense to purchase in advance.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Michael Hoffman April 12th 07 01:32 PM

wrote:
Hello,

We are renting an apartment in central London (zone 1) for 3 weeks in
July. My husband will need to use the public transport every day to do
his research, and I will be using it most days taking the kids to
various places.

We believe we should buy some type of Oyster card, but my question is
whether it makes sense to purchase in advance.

No, just buy cards when you get here. You can get them at any tube
station, including those at Heathrow.

If your husband will use the tube before 9:30 everyday, it might be
worth it to get a weekly Travelcard on Oyster.
--
Michael Hoffman

[email protected] April 12th 07 02:33 PM

On Apr 12, 9:32 am, Michael Hoffman wrote:
wrote:
Hello,

We are renting an apartment in central London (zone 1) for 3 weeks in
July. My husband will need to use the public transport every day to do
his research, and I will be using it most days taking the kids to
various places.

We believe we should buy some type of Oyster card, but my question is
whether it makes sense to purchase in advance.

No, just buy cards when you get here. You can get them at any tube
station, including those at Heathrow.

If your husband will use the tube before 9:30 everyday, it might be
worth it to get a weekly Travelcard on Oyster.
--
Michael Hoffman

Michael,

I do appreciate the advice. We'll definitely take it.

Bob Wood April 12th 07 03:32 PM

3 weeks in London buy Oyster card in USA?

In ,
Michael Hoffman typed:
wrote:
Hello,

We are renting an apartment in central London (zone 1) for 3 weeks in
July. My husband will need to use the public transport every day to
do his research, and I will be using it most days taking the kids to
various places.

We believe we should buy some type of Oyster card, but my question
is whether it makes sense to purchase in advance.

No, just buy cards when you get here. You can get them at any tube
station, including those at Heathrow.

If your husband will use the tube before 9:30 everyday, it might be
worth it to get a weekly Travelcard on Oyster.

Depending how much the OP intends to travel, even if she only travels
off-peak, it might be worth her getting a weekly Travelcard too. She
does not state the age of their children, but she may be pleased to know
that children under 11 travel free on buses, trams and tube - and 11
to 15 year-olds travel free on buses and trams and need to pay no more
than £1 a day to travel off-peak on the tube.

--
Bob

Michael Hoffman April 12th 07 05:13 PM

3 weeks in London buy Oyster card in USA?

Bob Wood wrote:
In ,
Michael Hoffman typed:
wrote:
Hello,

We are renting an apartment in central London (zone 1) for 3 weeks in
July. My husband will need to use the public transport every day to
do his research, and I will be using it most days taking the kids to
various places.

We believe we should buy some type of Oyster card, but my question
is whether it makes sense to purchase in advance.

No, just buy cards when you get here. You can get them at any tube
station, including those at Heathrow.

If your husband will use the tube before 9:30 everyday, it might be
worth it to get a weekly Travelcard on Oyster.

Depending how much the OP intends to travel, even if she only travels
off-peak, it might be worth her getting a weekly Travelcard too.

You're right. A weekly adult Z12 Travelcard is GBP 23.20, which is GBP
3.31/day. For comparison, a Z1 Oyster single is GBP 1.50, and the
maximum you'll pay per day Oyster pre-pay GBP 4.60 if you stick to zones
1 and 2.
--
Michael Hoffman

David of Broadway April 12th 07 05:30 PM

wrote:

We are renting an apartment in central London (zone 1) for 3 weeks in
July. My husband will need to use the public transport every day to do
his research, and I will be using it most days taking the kids to
various places.

We believe we should buy some type of Oyster card, but my question is
whether it makes sense to purchase in advance.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Unless you will be in an extreme hurry when you arrive, there's no
reason not to wait until arrival to obtain your Oysters. Oyster cards
are available at every London Underground station.

Your husband will probably want a weekly Travelcard, perhaps with some
additional cash on the card for extensions beyond his usual zones. You
might also want a Travelcard, but you might be better off with
Pay-As-You-Go and daily capping.

There is a £3 refundable deposit to obtain an Oyster card, but if you
load it with a weekly Travelcard at the same time, the deposit is waived
(so you get a free souvenir and don't have to remember to return the
card when you leave).
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

[email protected] April 13th 07 04:34 PM

3 weeks in London buy Oyster card in USA?

On Apr 12, 1:30 pm, David of Broadway
[...]

Thank you for the helpful replies. I will buy once there, and will
consider the Travelcard after looking into our travel plans.