Old April 12th 07, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 3 weeks in London buy Oyster card in USA?

Hello,

We are renting an apartment in central London (zone 1) for 3 weeks in
July. My husband will need to use the public transport every day to do
his research, and I will be using it most days taking the kids to
various places.

We believe we should buy some type of Oyster card, but my question is
whether it makes sense to purchase in advance.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Old April 12th 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 12, 9:32 am, Michael Hoffman wrote:
wrote:
Hello,

We are renting an apartment in central London (zone 1) for 3 weeks in
July. My husband will need to use the public transport every day to do
his research, and I will be using it most days taking the kids to
various places.

We believe we should buy some type of Oyster card, but my question is
whether it makes sense to purchase in advance.

No, just buy cards when you get here. You can get them at any tube
station, including those at Heathrow.

If your husband will use the tube before 9:30 everyday, it might be
worth it to get a weekly Travelcard on Oyster.
--
Michael Hoffman

Michael,

I do appreciate the advice. We'll definitely take it.

Old April 13th 07, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 12, 1:30 pm, David of Broadway
We are renting an apartment in central London (zone 1) for 3 weeks in
July. My husband will need to use the public transport every day to do
his research, and I will be using it most days taking the kids to
various places.

We believe we should buy some type of Oyster card, but my question is
whether it makes sense to purchase in advance.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Unless you will be in an extreme hurry when you arrive, there's no
reason not to wait until arrival to obtain your Oysters. Oyster cards
are available at every London Underground station.

Your husband will probably want a weekly Travelcard, perhaps with some
additional cash on the card for extensions beyond his usual zones. You
might also want a Travelcard, but you might be better off with
Pay-As-You-Go and daily capping.

There is a £3 refundable deposit to obtain an Oyster card, but if you
load it with a weekly Travelcard at the same time, the deposit is waived
(so you get a free souvenir and don't have to remember to return the
card when you leave).
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Thank you for the helpful replies. I will buy once there, and will
consider the Travelcard after looking into our travel plans.