Old April 16th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Renting a smart car

In article , Ian F.
writes

I'm a member of a car club (Streetcar) which is absolutely brilliant. It
has some limitations (no good for long journeys) but in general, for short
trips, is terrific value for money.

I was thinking of registering with Streetcar as they have two vehicles
parked near me, but I didn't fancy coughing up a UKP150 deposit for the
pleasure. And they're not as cheap as others for weekend use.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Old April 16th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Apr, 21:42, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
John Rowland wrote
[...]

As you are expected to pay for the petrol that you
use from the car I don't see how this comparison is valid.

Okay. The "5 pounds for 75 miles" bit fooled me. If they expect you

to pay
for petrol, I don't see why they charge you extra for more than 75

miles per
day.

Pay for mileage or excess mileage has been a option on car rental since
the year dot (except on very small islands where petrol may be included
too). I take it that the higher the mileage the lower the price when
they sell on their cars.

--
Mike D

Sixti have particularly keen pricing anyhow. And even better if you
drive the Smart for a fiver.
Of course you have to be a little organised and book in advance or
choose quiet days to get the cheap deal.
Don't expect bank holiday weekends to be a fiver.
But even when prices are higher it's hard to beat. "Most" hire places
(large chains or small outfits) will charge upwards of £40 plus for a
small car. (Smarts may be less).
Downside are the limited locations

I found the streetcar idea great. Having lots of locations is it's
plus point. Plus you can use it by the hour.
But put off slightly by the upfront £150 deposit before driving
anything. Couldn't they just take a credit card number to guarantee
it?

Old April 16th 07, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 15, 5:45 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I would presumably be able to go in the
Kengestion Charging

Why do you presume this

Because I thought Smart Cars were exempt, but it seems they are not.

No specific exemption for Smarts as yet, but keep an eye on the
'emissions influcenced charging' proposals. Link in the middle of
www.cclondon.com

"It is also suggested that the 100% discount for the least polluting
cars (Bands A & B meeting Euro IV) would be introduced in 2008, with
the higher charges for cars emitting in excess of 225g/km of CO2 to
commence subsequently. Customers with cars that are eligible for the
discount would not receive it automatically but would need to register
their car with Transport for London (TfL). These proposals would
replace the existing Congestion Charging Alternative Fuel Discount. "

Remember these are only proposals, and it doesn't say how much the
registration fee is gonna be.

Forget band A it doesn't currently exist. List of band Bs here
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/inf...les.asp#petrol

Alternatively I suppose you could just vote Ken out and drive into the
zone with your current car

Old April 17th 07, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Apr 2007 20:42:27 GMT, "Michael R N Dolbear"
wrote:

Pay for mileage or excess mileage has been a option on car rental since
the year dot

25+ years ago I think paying for mileage was the norm. In the 1980s
and 1990s the car hire companies seemed to favour simple pricing
approaches, and usually offered unlimited mileage. Now, with demand
pricing, mileage charges seem to be back.

(except on very small islands where petrol may be included
too). I take it that the higher the mileage the lower the price when
they sell on their cars.

Also it's a question of what the market can bear: if you can charge
somebody who's driving a car 400 miles in a day more than somebody
who's just driving it 10 miles, you might as well do so

Martin

Stagecoach Smart ITSO cards Matthew Dickinson London Transport 2 November 30th 10 06:44 PM
Westminster Council CCTV smart car chased out of town Basil Jet[_2_] London Transport 1 October 28th 10 08:55 AM
Different approach to smart card travel Colum Mylod London Transport 39 February 7th 07 08:05 AM
get smart eastender London Transport 4 October 6th 06 05:46 PM
Renting a Routemaster David FitzGerald London Transport 6 October 30th 04 10:31 PM