Old April 16th 07, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Best Travel Card

I live in zone three and work in zone 1. I normally travel by bus. But
recently was thinking of buying a zone 2 and 3 travel card.

Am I correct in thinking a zone 2 and 3 travel card also includes an
all zone bus pass? And would this also be the best option for me with
minimal tube travel in an outer?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Old April 16th 07, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Apr, 10:09, "Dave" wrote:
I live in zone three and work in zone 1. I normally travel by bus. But
recently was thinking of buying a zone 2 and 3 travel card.

Am I correct in thinking a zone 2 and 3 travel card also includes an
all zone bus pass? And would this also be the best option for me with
minimal tube travel in an outer?

Many thanks and kind regards,

You are correct in thinking that all period Travelcards include bus
travel on all TfL buses across all zones.

You don't say whether your journey to work involves more than one bus,
or how many days a week you work. Whether a zone 2 and 3 period
Travelcard is the best option for you or not depends on this. The
current price for one for 7 days is GBP15. If you work five days a
week and take only one bus to work, Oyster PAYG would be much cheaper
- GBP10 per week (10 x GBP1). Two buses each way and the Travelcard is
cheaper.

Old April 16th 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Apr, 10:09, "Dave" wrote:
Am I correct in thinking a zone 2 and 3 travel card also includes an
all zone bus pass? And would this also be the best option for me with
minimal tube travel in an outer?

Any Travelcard is valid on any bus. You can also buy a bus only pass,
but it's only slightly cheaper than zone 2-3.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...kets/1061.aspx

Old April 16th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Apr 2007 02:09:25 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

I live in zone three and work in zone 1. I normally travel by bus. But
recently was thinking of buying a zone 2 and 3 travel card.

Am I correct in thinking a zone 2 and 3 travel card also includes an
all zone bus pass? And would this also be the best option for me with
minimal tube travel in an outer?

You haven't said where you are in London but do you or would you make
trips on DLR or National Rail if you had a Z23 Travelcard? In certain
parts of London you might benefit from access to some orbital lines like
the North London Line where a Z23 travelcard could be very helpful.

Others have pointed out the existence of the Bus Pass and if you travel
costs were low then Pre-Pay is an option too.

Personally I would opt for the Z23 Travelcard as that gives you all the
buses you need plus added rail based flexibility. I'd always pay a small
premium for flexibility / convenience and especially if my bus trips
were sufficient to make the Travelcard worthwhile in its own right. If
your ticket is held on an Oyster card then you also have Pre-Pay
functionality automatically alongside a bus pass or Travelcard. If you
then opted to travel by Tube or DLR then you'd pay for those extra trips
(or extensions beyond Z23) at a discounted rate. Availability of
Pre-Pay on National Rail lines is pretty limited at present so Pre-Pay
gives you no real advantage for those lines. Availability will increase
in coming years as the TOCs adopt the product for their services.

A bit more info on outline travel patterns / modal use might help people
do the sums for you.

--
Paul C

Old April 16th 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 16, 10:57 am, "Keith Raeburn" wrote:
On 16 Apr, 10:09, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for your reply. I do only work five days and do take one
bus a day (29).

After the replies today, I have just bought the zone 2-3 travel card.
Should give me a lot more flexibility.

However I just have one more question. Can I use this travel card to
travel through zone one? Example Wood Green to Kew Gardens.

Many thanks for everyone's help here.
Kind Regards,

Old April 16th 07, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Apr, 10:09, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

The travelcard element is not valid in Zone 1. However you could, for
example, get the 29 to Camden Road and take the North London Line round
to Kew as an alternative or go to Haringay Green Lane and take the
diesel train to Gospel Oak and change there to the North London Line.
The connections are pretty good although the train from Haringay GL is
only half hourly.

However your Travelcard will (almost certainly) be on an Oyster card and
this has the ability to hold cash on it in the form of Pre-Pay. You must
touch in and touch out on the Underground and with your card you would
have a fare of £1.50 deducted from your card at Kew Gardens. This
"automatic extension" fare is calculated automatically and the same
would happen in reverse as you exited at Wood Green on your return trip.

It is obviously up to you but it is advisable to hold some positive cash
value on your card for such eventualities. If you had no money on your
card it is still capable of going negative but you would have to top up
the balance on the card before it could be used again if a negative
balance had been incurred. Note you only pay from your card balance if
you go out of zone where pre-pay is valid (i.e. Tube, DLR and a very
small selection of NR lines). If you wish to go beyond your zones on
National Rail services not covered by Pre-Pay you must buy an extension
ticket at the start of your trip.

More info here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...an-2007(1).pdf

HTH

--
Paul C

Old April 20th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Keith Raeburn" wrote in message
ups.com...

You don't say whether your journey to work involves more than one bus,
or how many days a week you work. Whether a zone 2 and 3 period
Travelcard is the best option for you or not depends on this. The
current price for one for 7 days is GBP15. If you work five days a
week and take only one bus to work, Oyster PAYG would be much cheaper
- GBP10 per week (10 x GBP1). Two buses each way and the Travelcard is
cheaper.

The benefit of weekend travel is a bonus, plus, when your bus is turned
short, it really does save the aggro of trying to get the damn drivers to
transfer you across without paying again on your Oyster Card... plus for
others, the flexibility of a travelcard allows you to take different buses
and routes to/from work if you do not always need to go to the same place
etc.