Old April 30th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU Stock Transfer Lines

Tom Anderson:
Has consideration ever been given to connecting the W&C to anything?

"Sam":
There have been proposals at various times for extensions north, to
meet the ex-Northern City Branch at Moorgate.

Notably by the Metropolitan Railway just after they took over the latter
line in 1913.

However, these proposals always mention that the Bank of England
vaults get in the way. I think in reality, the direction of the W&C
platforms at Bank isn't particularly suited to an extension at Moorgate.

To save money, the W&C station (originally called City, not Bank)
was built with its platforms some distance west of the actual square
where the Bank is -- what's why passengers reach the surface by a long
inclined tunnel (which did not have a moving ramp until 1960) -- and as
I understand it they're under Queen Victoria Street. That would give
a reasonable alignment for an extension toward Moorgate station, if
nothing was in the way, and if it was desired. Of course, the combined
line could then only use tube-size trains, so that would be one more
reason not to do it.
--
Mark Brader "To err is human, but to really mess things up
Toronto you need a timetable planner!"

Old May 1st 07, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 May, 09:34, Bill Hayles wrote:
I have been ridden *the curve as a passenger twice; once on F stock and
once on Q stock.

Is there anything to see over this section or is it basically a
featureless section of tunnel with a junction at each either end?

--
gordon

Old May 2nd 07, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 May 2007 14:24:22 -0700, "
wrote:

On 1 May, 09:34, Bill Hayles wrote:
I have been ridden 4he curve as a passenger twice; once on F stock and
once on Q stock.

Is there anything to see over this section or is it basically a
featureless section of tunnel with a junction at each either end?

That about sums it up.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com

Old May 2nd 07, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 Apr, 12:52, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, John Rowland wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

With these, it is possible to get from any part of the Underground to
any other part, albeit by some very convoluted routes in some cases.

.... apart from the Waterloo & City Line, which trains can only reach by
being lowered by a crane.

Has consideration ever been given to connecting the W&C to anything? I
reckon you could plumb it into the Central line at Bank; don't know if you
could get it up to mainline level at Waterloo, or anywhere near any of the
tube lines.

I've long thought it should be extended to Vauxhall and possibly
Clapham
Junction, to spread the load a bit. There was a discussion about that
here
a long time ago, and I've forgotten why it turned out to be a bad
idea.

Can't see much advantage in connecting the W&C and Victoria, though...

Thanks

Henry

Old May 2nd 07, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Henry wrote:

[W&C]

I've long thought it should be extended to Vauxhall and possibly
Clapham
Junction, to spread the load a bit. There was a discussion about that
here
a long time ago, and I've forgotten why it turned out to be a bad
idea.

Can't see much advantage in connecting the W&C and Victoria, though...

The problem with the W&C is that, because of the short trains, it can
get horrendously overcrowded in the peaks (with queues up the ramps at
Waterloo).
This isn't too bad if everyone gets on at one end and gets off at the
other, but if you had an intermediate station, you'd be packing people
onto already full trains with very few getting off.
The only fix would be to extend the platforms at both stations to fit
proper length trains of 7 or 8 cars.
Old May 2nd 07, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 29, 4:25 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message . com,
" writes

Is there a website which includes details of "odd" stretches of the LU
network not normally used for passenger carrying journeys? I'm
thinking mainly about connecting links between different "lines". Are
any of these quite lengthy? Would most drivers working Line "X" and
Line "Y" be trained to work over a connecting line between the two? Is
the link from the District Line to the East London Line just a short
tunnel section with double-track?

I don't know of any specific websites offhand but Tubeprune is likely to
have something. I have a copy of the 2002 London Transport Quail map
which shows all the track plans for LU, hence these links. I obtained
it from the London(s) Transport Museum some time ago, I don't know if
they still sell them though.

There are only a few specific links on LU as most lines have some common
sections (ie. Hammersmith Hanger Lane Junction for the
District/Piccadilly) and transfers can be done easily over these. The
only ones I can think of a

East London District over St. Mary's Curve.
Victoria Piccadilly over the crossover just south of Finsbury Park.
Northern Piccadilly via the Kings Cross Loop (a short tunnel from
Kings Cross (Northern Northbound) to Kings Cross (Piccadilly Eastbound).
CentralMetropolitan/Piccadilly at Ruislip depot. (You can also get
from the CentralDistrict at Ealing Broadway, but this has been disused
for many years, I tink since Central line ATO, and I'm not sure if it's
deemed available any more)

Talking of ATO, I think it used to be used for transfer between the
Victoria Line and the ATO Hainault - Woodford section, but I suppose
Ruislip would be just as good for that.

Old May 3rd 07, 01:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
[...]

I don't understand - what is "it"/"that"?

I thought the ATO was removed from Woodford Hainault before the Vic was
opened.

Old May 3rd 07, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Apr 29, 4:25 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message . com,
" writes

snip
(You can also get from the CentralDistrict at Ealing
Broadway, but this has been disused for many years, I tink since
Central line ATO, and I'm not sure if it's deemed available any
more)

Talking of ATO, I think it used to be used for transfer between the
Victoria Line and the ATO Hainault - Woodford section, but I suppose
Ruislip would be just as good for that.

I don't understand - what is "it"/"that"?

I thought the ATO was removed from Woodford Hainault before the Vic
was opened.

I think "it" is the District-Central link at Ealing Broadway and "that" is
transfer of the ATO trains between Victoria line and Central line, but it is
all rather confusing.

According to "The twopenny Tube" by J Graeme Bruce and Desmond F Croome pub
by Capital Transport the Victoria line trains were initially tested on the
Woodford Hainault ATO (Automatic Train Operation) fitted section before
going to the Victoria line. Some remained ther in service use until there
was a demand for them on the Victoria line the last going in September 1984.
The ATO on the Woodford-Hainault line was decommissioned from October 1986.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

remove spamnocars to reply