Old May 23rd 07, 09:45 PM
Junior Member

Location: East End
Default East London Railway

Hi

The east london line is, as I'm sure you're aware, being extended.

I am very puzzled by one point. The old NLL City branch viaduct is capable of taking four tracks.

Most of the bridges have been replaces or repaired over the last year or so. Are the replacement bridges capable of taking four tracks? If so does OK (Our ken) have it in mind to run a semi fast service along the line (missing out Hoxton and Haggerston) as well as a stopping service?

After all on the original NLL the trains from Broad Street to Richmond/Watford ran fast to Dalston Junction, with only those to Poplar stopping at Shoreditch and Haggerston.

Paula

Oh and PS hi everyone this is my first post here.

Old May 23rd 07, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 23, 10:45 pm, Paula wrote:
Most of the bridges have been replaces or repaired over the last year
or so. Are the replacement bridges capable of taking four tracks? If so
does OK (Our ken) have it in mind to run a semi fast service along the
line (missing out Hoxton and Haggerston) as well as a stopping
service?

No, at Hoxton the extra width is being used for the platforms, and the
replacement bridges are all two-track only in the plans (haven't been
to look yet at what's been built). I presume the rest will be empty
space.

There was never a station at Hoxton before - the station between
Haggerston and Broad St was Shoreditch, and was much further south.

Old May 24th 07, 07:47 AM
Junior Member

Location: East End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Thant
No, at Hoxton the extra width is being used for the platforms, and the
replacement bridges are all two-track only in the plans (haven't been
to look yet at what's been built). I presume the rest will be empty
space.
Oh well opportunities and the loosing of them!

Quote:

There was never a station at Hoxton before - the station between
Haggerston and Broad St was Shoreditch, and was much further south.

Actually the original Shoreditch station was on the corner of Old Street and Kingsland Road. The new Hoxton station is going to be behind the Geffrye Museum. Not that far apart...

Paula
Old May 24th 07, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 24, 8:47 am, Paula wrote:

Actually the original Shoreditch station was on the corner of Old
Street and Kingsland Road. The new Hoxton station is going to be behind
the Geffrye Museum. Not that far apart...

OK, it's only a third of a mile, but importantly is the viaduct there
is only four tracks wide, not four tracks plus platforms, so building
a station there with through tracks would be much more expensive.

Old May 24th 07, 10:52 AM
Junior Member

On May 24, 8:47 am, Paula wrote:

Actually the original Shoreditch station was on the corner of Old
Street and Kingsland Road. The new Hoxton station is going to be behind
the Geffrye Museum. Not that far apart...

OK, it's only a third of a mile, but importantly is the viaduct there
is only four tracks wide, not four tracks plus platforms, so building
a station there with through tracks would be much more expensive.

Point taken and the same applies at Haggerston where the old station was south of Lee Street and the new one is north of it! Oh well another opportunity lost :-(

Paula

Old May 24th 07, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Paula wrote:

I am very puzzled by one point. The old NLL City branch viaduct is
capable of taking four tracks.

Most of the bridges have been replaces or repaired over the last year
or so. Are the replacement bridges capable of taking four tracks?

Previous discussion on the matter:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....320466cb6cf536

If so does OK (Our ken) have it in mind to run a semi fast service along
the line (missing out Hoxton and Haggerston) as well as a stopping
service?

Suppose not. I'd be a little skeptical about the utility of such a service
anyway; missing two stops doesn't save you a lot of time, really.

After all on the original NLL the trains from Broad Street to
Richmond/Watford ran fast to Dalston Junction, with only those to Poplar
stopping at Shoreditch and Haggerston.

I suspect this was mainly a way of segregating the two branches (Poplar
and Willesden), so preventing performance pollution spreading between
them, than anything else. Since the ELLX only has one northern branch,
it's not so much use now. This is purely speculation, though.

Oh and PS hi everyone this is my first post here.

Hello and welcome.

tom

--
Death to all vowels! The Ministry of Truth says vowels are plus
undoublethink. Vowels are a Eurasian plot! Big Brother, leading us proles
Old May 25th 07, 12:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 May 2007 08:47:08 +0100, Paula wrote:
No, at Hoxton the extra width is being used for the platforms, and the
replacement bridges are all two-track only in the plans (haven't been
to look yet at what's been built). I presume the rest will be empty
space.

Oh well opportunities and the loosing of them!

I don't think there was ever much of an opportunity there. There would
be no real point in skipping Hoxton and Haggerston - Hackney is one of
the main areas that the line is supposed to serve. Even if some trains
were to skip those stops, there'd be no need for extra tracks unless
trains were going to overtake each other (which there probably
wouldn't be time for with just two stops, without delaying the train
being overtaken).
Old May 25th 07, 07:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 25, 1:42 am, asdf wrote:
I don't think there was ever much of an opportunity there. There would
be no real point in skipping Hoxton and Haggerston - Hackney is one of
the main areas that the line is supposed to serve. Even if some trains
were to skip those stops, there'd be no need for extra tracks unless
trains were going to overtake each other (which there probably
wouldn't be time for with just two stops, without delaying the train
being overtaken).

You could run freight on the extra pair of tracks, arriving from the
Great Eastern Main Line, providing an alternative to the two track
section of the North London Line from Stratford to Daltson. We'll
ignore that the approach to Liverpool St is even more congested than
the NLL, because that pretty much kills the idea.

I went and had a look yesterday. All of the new bridges are much
narrower than the viaduct.

Old May 25th 07, 07:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
Mr Thant wrote:

I went and had a look yesterday. All of the new bridges are much
narrower than the viaduct.

Indeed. I think we should be thankful that it's happening at all given
the appalling transport record in this country.

E.
Old May 25th 07, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 May, 08:33, eastender wrote:
In article . com,
Mr Thant wrote:

I went and had a look yesterday. All of the new bridges are much
narrower than the viaduct.

Indeed. I think we should be thankful that it's happening at all given
the appalling transport record in this country.

Its a fairly half hearted effort though. In reality what are they
building? 1 new viaduct and a few new bridges , refurbishing a disused
route and putting a link to NR down at new cross gate. Dalston
Junction is a pointless terminus and Highbury isn't much better since
it'll cause immense crowding on the victoria line as everyone goes 1
stop from Finsbury park. Finsbury was the obvious terminus but for
reasons best know to themselves thats not going to happen even though
they could still have had the NLL link anyway.

B2003