Old June 8th 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default El sections of LU

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

The Met's up in the air at Hillingdon, isn't it?

No, but the air is lower than it! All the local roads go over it, but
the A40 passes beneath it in a deep cutting, which is why you thought it
was up in the air.

You're quite right, and i realised my error as soon as i looked at a
picture. I have a distinct memory of the station floating in the air, but
i think this is a combination of the bridge, plus the fact that it's
uphill from the Master Brewer, where the coaches stop.

tom

--
We need a higher electric field, a higher polarisation product, a longer
storage time and more neutrons. -- NEDM

Old June 8th 07, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Tom Anderson wrote:

The Met's up in the air at Hillingdon, isn't it?

No, but the air is lower than it! All the local roads go over it, but
the A40 passes beneath it in a deep cutting, which is why you thought
it was up in the air.

You're quite right, and i realised my error as soon as i looked at a
picture. I have a distinct memory of the station floating in the air,
but i think this is a combination of the bridge, plus the fact that it's
uphill from the Master Brewer, where the coaches stop.

The ticket office is 'up in the air' and you have to cross a fairly
long elevated walkway to get to it. But the platforms are at ground
level and, as stated, the A40 is in a deep cutting below them.

--
Fig
Old June 8th 07, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

incidently in NYC the locals call it a subway whether its subway or
el. in Chicago its called the el whether el or subway

Old June 8th 07, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 8, 3:18 am, PhilD wrote:
On Jun 8, 6:23 am, James Farrar wrote:

Piccadilly west of Baron's Court and north-east of (???)

Piccadilly north-east of Arnos Grove (except for a tunnel at
Southgate).

Corrections from the group very welcome, of course. Thanks to David
for teaching me what "El" means... :-)

Well, what DOES it mean?

PhilD

--

El means elevated above street level

Old June 8th 07, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:28:18 -0000, "
wrote:

incidently in NYC the locals call it a subway whether its subway or
el.

Indeed, though I've seen street-level referred to as "el", and hence
answered your original question on that basis.

You're welcome.
Old June 8th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 8, 1:03 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
Mr Thant wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:18 am, PhilD wrote:
Well, what DOES it mean?

An el is a line built high above ground level as a way to get past
existing roads and structures without tunnelling or too much
demolition.

In other words, an elevated section - so why not use the word 'elevated'
instead of a term that nobody's heard of?

You don't do cryptic crosswords! El is commonly used in British
crosswords - if you see the word 'railway' in the clue one of the
things it could be is 'EL'.

Old June 8th 07, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 8, 1:11 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

Is the OP from the USA? - their 'El's (for it is a normal american
abbreviated usage) are typically those lines that go down the middle of the
street on a girderwork viaduct at about 2nd floor level, with roads
underneath -

That's right! Anyone who has seen the car chase scene in BULLITT will
know what you mean.

Old June 8th 07, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
incidently in NYC the locals call it a subway whether its subway or
el. in Chicago its called the el whether el or subway

In London the locals seem to have a similar problem, they call it all 'the
tube'...

Paul S

Old June 8th 07, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:

Corrections from the group very welcome, of course. Thanks to David
for teaching me what "El" means... :-)

Apparently I didn't teach you very well, since the Underground doesn't
have any NYC-style els.

Probably most of these photos are on elevated structu
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=4116

And here are a few mo
http://greenberger.no-ip.com/gallery...ate/2007/0318/
http://greenberger.no-ip.com/gallery...ate/2007/0314/