Old June 20th 07, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
leo leo is offline

Default London Overground Concession Award

On 20 Jun, 12:53, asdf wrote:
And Wembley Park (Met) will be accessible, but not Wembley Park
(Jubilee). How are they going to manage that? Big steps running along
the lengths of the platforms?

They have already done it the southern ends of the Met platforms have
all been built up by approx a foot, so I assume that they will be
level with the new train doors. At Pinner the whole platform with the
exception of the last 30 foot of the southern end has had tactile
stripes fitted so I assume they will be raising this part of the
platform as well.

What I did find surprising is that they did not put in lifts at
Finchley road, I would have thought they could have extended the
ticket office over the platforms and drop in two lifts as they did at
Earls Court, especially as there is no steps into the station and it
does act a reasonable size interchange with busses and coaches.

Regards

Leo

Old June 20th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li

Tesco's doing well in the US, i believe, and i think our few remaining
banks are holding their ends up.

Actually, Tesco has yet to open its first Fresh & Easy store in the US:
http://www.freshandeasy.com/home.aspx
Time will tell if it does well in that tough market that has burned to
many other British retailers.

Old June 20th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

In message . com,
John B writes
On the subject of utilities, National Grid owns the transmission
network for most of New England and New York.

Now that *is* interesting. I always though US law prohibited foreign
ownership of utilities there.

No, at various times many US utilities have been foreign-owned. It seems
to be ports and airlines that are heavily protected in the US.

Old June 20th 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Recliner
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

In message . com,
John B writes
On the subject of utilities, National Grid owns the transmission
network for most of New England and New York.

Now that *is* interesting. I always though US law prohibited foreign
ownership of utilities there.

No, at various times many US utilities have been foreign-owned. It seems
to be ports and airlines that are heavily protected in the US.

And television and radio stations? Or is that another myth I've fallen
for?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old June 21st 07, 03:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:55:20 +0100, "R.C. Payne"
wrote:

Mortimer wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

The Evening Standard in London is apparently saying the Chinese have won
the bid, though. Not sure what that means.
MTR is a Hong Kong company; i guess Hong Kong counts as China, although
saying 'Chinese' certainly suggests the big red bit of China to me. It was
started as a government agency, then partially privatised - the HK
government still owns most of it. Mention has been made of their already
being involved in running other railways outside Hong Kong, but i don't
think this has actually happened yet; they're contracted to build some
lines in China, but haven't successfully completed anything yet.

How long will it be before *every* bit of British life is run by overseas
finance and management. Are there going to be *any* companies in Britain
that are still British? Is it a two-way process: are there any transport or
utility companies elsewhere in the world that are owned by British
companies, or is it all one-sided?

I'm pretty sure that Vodafone is still UK, and they have their fingers
in a great many pies round the world. Others have mentionned the
companies that started as bus barons in the 80s that have done a good
job of hoovering up transport bits and pieces around the world. I would
say it's generally a 2-way street.

Vodafone is an English-registered company but that doesn't prevent
significant portions being held by foreign investors such as e.g. AXA
S.A. (~5% of voting rights).

Old June 21st 07, 07:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:12:02 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote in :
In message , Recliner
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

In message . com,
John B writes
On the subject of utilities, National Grid owns the transmission
network for most of New England and New York.

Now that *is* interesting. I always though US law prohibited foreign
ownership of utilities there.

No, at various times many US utilities have been foreign-owned. It seems
to be ports and airlines that are heavily protected in the US.

And television and radio stations? Or is that another myth I've fallen
for?

It was once, at least. Murdoch couldn't own both a TV chain and
a newspaper chain at the same time (IIRC) as a foreigner, so he renounced
his citizenship and took up US nationality.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old June 21st 07, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 21 Jun, 17:01, Tom Anderson wrote:
Indeed one wonders why Kilburn remains the only step-free station
between Stanmore and Westminster on the Jubilee line.

Knowing what little i do of Kilburn, it'll be to stop people getting on
when they're legless.

s/stop/allow, shirley?

Anyway. Wembley is accessible, despite that map. AIUI Green Park is
currently having stepfree access scoped out, to be ready in time for
2012. As someone else said, Finchley Road is busy and would be
straightforward to do. And Baker Street is sufficiently major that
stepfree access really ought to be provided (it's being added for the
SSL as part of the Olympics work).

The benefit/cost ratio for the others [e.g. Swiss Cottage], I imagine,
is less than favourable.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 21st 07, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, John B wrote:

On 21 Jun, 17:01, Tom Anderson wrote:

Indeed one wonders why Kilburn remains the only step-free station
between Stanmore and Westminster on the Jubilee line.

Knowing what little i do of Kilburn, it'll be to stop people getting on
when they're legless.

s/stop/allow, shirley?

Bugger, misread that. Makes the joke even less funny.

tom

--
SCIIIIEEEEEENNNNNCNCCCCCE!!!
Old June 21st 07, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:43:39 +0100, The Junk Yard Express
wrote:

Barry Salter wrote:
* A fleet of new trains between Gospel Oak and Barking from 2009,

Anyone know what they are likely to be, diesel versions of the 376 would
be most appropriate than any current DMU design surely?

Hope the layout is not going to be like an artists impression of an
interior I saw this week. All the seats faced inwards with a wide
aisle like normal tube trains.
I want to look out of the window in the direction I'm travelling!

Dave