Old June 22nd 07, 04:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Stagecoach win East Midlands franchise

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
Paul Corfield wrote:

Over the life of the franchise, seven years and four months, the
DfT will receive a premium of £133m from Stagecoach Midland Rail
Limited.

and

Stagecoach Midland Rail Limited have indicated they may wish
to raise unregulated fares annually by an average of 3.4% above
inflation.

Once again, we see the magic of the franchise bidding system at work.
Promise a huge premium to win the bid, then get the customers to foot
the bill for it.

Yup, alrady suffering that on SouthWest Trains, where 1 pound in every 5
goes to the government. Not Network Rail, or anywhere else related to the
railway, but straight into the exchequer as general taxation. There may not
be VAT on transport, but there's already a 25% (stealth) tax on my train
fares.

Old June 25th 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Over the life of the franchise, seven years and four months, the
DfT will receive a premium of £133m from Stagecoach Midland Rail
Limited.

and

Yup, alrady suffering that on SouthWest Trains, where 1 pound in every 5
goes to the government. Not Network Rail, or anywhere else related to the
railway, but straight into the exchequer as general taxation. There may not
be VAT on transport, but there's already a 25% (stealth) tax on my train
fares.

Actually, not. It goes to DfT, who recycle it back into the lines that
receive a subsidy. Actual net HMG/devolved government/PTAs
contribution to the British railway system exceeds GBP5 billion per
annum*

*At least it was last year, I haven't checked this year

Incidentally, can anyone point me at a breakdown of the subsidy/
premium profile of all TOCs please?

Thanks

Patrick

Old June 26th 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"D1039" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul Corfield wrote:

[...]

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/passe...ymentprofilesa

gives the previous few, I would imagine 'one' must be in DfT Rail
somewhere...

Paul