Old April 27th 05, 04:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Rail service to/from the Midlands into London

I will be moving back to the UK later this summer and would like to
locate to the Midlands, but of course work will want me to be working
in London (at least for the majority of the week).

As it's been a while that I've been away (over a decade) I went online
to try and get rail schedule/pricing etc... However I'm not sure if
I'm reading it correctly but it looks like the daily return rate is in
the range of 40-80 per day. Is this correct? Have the rates gone up
this much?

Any suggestions on weblinks etc? I'm all googled out

Old April 27th 05, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

No body wrote:
I will be moving back to the UK later this summer and would like to
locate to the Midlands, but of course work will want me to be working
in London (at least for the majority of the week).

Where in the Midlands will you be living?

Old April 27th 05, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 00:16:05 on
Wed, 27 Apr 2005, No body remarked:
However I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly but it looks like the
daily return rate is in the range of 40-80 per day. Is this correct?
Have the rates gone up this much?

Prices have risen on all routes way above inflation. But Virgin more so
than (say) MML. Of course, you'll get a discount for buying a season
ticket. You don't say where in the Midlands, East or West; but a working
assumption is probably: £40 a day (with a season) - plus parking, an
hour and a half journey time, and if you are lucky a half hour
frequency.
Old April 27th 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 00:16:05 on
Wed, 27 Apr 2005, No body remarked:
However I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly but it looks like the
daily return rate is in the range of 40-80 per day. Is this correct? Have
the rates gone up this much?

Prices have risen on all routes way above inflation. But Virgin more so
than (say) MML. Of course, you'll get a discount for buying a season
ticket. You don't say where in the Midlands, East or West; but a working
assumption is probably: £40 a day (with a season) - plus parking, an hour
and a half journey time, and if you are lucky a half hour frequency.

Depending on whether you are close to the old GWR line and whereabouts in
London you'll be working, you may find it cheaper to use Chiltern Railways'
service from Birmingham Snow Hill, Solihull, Warwick etc to Marylebone.
Journey times will be longer and you may have to travel further on the tube,
but I believe their fares are quite a bit cheaper.

Old April 27th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

Depending on whether you are close to the old GWR line and whereabouts in
London you'll be working, you may find it cheaper to use Chiltern

Railways'
service from Birmingham Snow Hill, Solihull, Warwick etc to Marylebone.
Journey times will be longer and you may have to travel further on the

tube,
but I believe their fares are quite a bit cheaper.

Significantly cheaper and they also run through from Kidderminster,
Stourbridge Junction and Smethwick to provide a through commuter service to
London (five each way IIRC) in the mornings and back again in the evenings,
the remainder of the day terminating at Birmingham Snow Hill. South of
Birmingham the service runs every half hour, calling at Solihull, Dorridge,
Warwick Parkway, Warwick, Leamington Spa and some services at lesser
stations.

Check www.chilternrailways.co.uk for details.

Old April 28th 05, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Apr 2005 01:27:18 -0700, "TheOneKEA"
wrote:

No body wrote:
I will be moving back to the UK later this summer and would like to
locate to the Midlands, but of course work will want me to be working
in London (at least for the majority of the week).

Where in the Midlands will you be living?

Ahh.... Stupid me, forgot to mention. I'll be just North of Derby.
so I suppose that would include, Derby, Nottingham, Mansfield etc.

I was just very surprised at the price, esp as they're not bullet
trains.

Thanks for the links & heads up. (thought I was missing the commuter
price list or something).
Old April 28th 05, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 03:27:34 on
Thu, 28 Apr 2005, No body remarked:
I'll be just North of Derby.
so I suppose that would include, Derby, Nottingham, Mansfield etc.

How are you proposing getting to the nearest mainline station?

Once you are there, the journey to/from St Pancras is 2 hours, and
depending on where in London your work is, you are easily looking at
spending 6 hrs each day travelling.

Another option (which some people have told me they use) is to drive to
Retford/Grantham and get the much faster GNER trains.

I was just very surprised at the price, esp as they're not bullet
trains.

MML is probably cheaper than those lines that *do* have faster trains,
though.