London Banter

-   -   Central Line Train Off The Road (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5408-central-line-train-off-road.html)

contrex July 5th 07 09:06 AM

Central Line Train Off The Road

Tube train derails in rush hour

A London Underground (LU) train has derailed during the morning rush
hour, police have said.

Up to six carriages came off the rails on the westbound Central Line
between Mile End and Bethnal Green stations at about 0900 BST.

There are no reports of injuries, according to a British Transport
Police (BTP) spokesman.

Central Line services are suspended between Leytonstone and Liverpool
Street, causing minor delays.

Richard J. July 5th 07 09:22 AM

contrex wrote:
Tube train derails in rush hour

A London Underground (LU) train has derailed during the morning rush
hour, police have said.

Up to six carriages came off the rails on the westbound Central Line
between Mile End and Bethnal Green stations at about 0900 BST.

There are no reports of injuries, according to a British Transport
Police (BTP) spokesman.

Central Line services are suspended between Leytonstone and Liverpool
Street, causing minor delays.

LU report timed at 10:12: "CENTRAL LINE: Suspended between Leytonstone and
Liverpool Street due to a derailed train in the Mile End area. Severe delays
are occurring on the rest of the line." Also that Mile End ststion has been
closed.

--
Richard J.

contrex July 5th 07 09:43 AM

Central Line Train Off The Road

BBC page now says passenger has leg injury, there may have been
obstruction on track.

alex_t July 5th 07 09:43 AM

Central Line Train Off The Road

I hope they won't close it for several months again... :-|

verbena July 5th 07 09:46 AM

On Jul 5, 10:43 am, alex_t wrote:
I hope they won't close it for several months again... :-|

No, that was several years ago. Things are much worse with H&S now,
it'll probably be shut until 2025.

Neill

chunky munky July 5th 07 09:49 AM

On Jul 5, 10:46 am, verbena wrote:
On Jul 5, 10:43 am, alex_t wrote:

I hope they won't close it for several months again... :-|

No, that was several years ago. Things are much worse with H&S now,
it'll probably be shut until 2025.

Neill

Something probably fell of the train ahead......

ERU out there more cash for Tubelines

alex_t July 5th 07 09:53 AM

Central Line Train Off The Road

ERU out there more cash for Tubelines

Tubelines?

chunky munky July 5th 07 09:56 AM

On Jul 5, 10:53 am, alex_t wrote:
ERU out there more cash for Tubelines

Tubelines?

The Infraco company that looks after the Picc, Jub and Northern lines
amongst other things.

Also incident train nearly finished being detrained

alex_t July 5th 07 10:04 AM

Central Line Train Off The Road

The Infraco company that looks after the Picc, Jub and Northern lines
amongst other things.

Also incident train nearly finished being detrained

I know what Tubelines is, I just didn't understand how "ERU out"
applies to Tubelines in the context of the current derailment on the
MetroNet line.

chunky munky July 5th 07 10:11 AM

On Jul 5, 11:04 am, alex_t wrote:
The Infraco company that looks after the Picc, Jub and Northern lines
amongst other things.

Also incident train nearly finished being detrained

I know what Tubelines is, I just didn't understand how "ERU out"
applies to Tubelines in the context of the current derailment on the
MetroNet line.

The ERU will attend the incident.

As an aside Metronet still havent been paid for the extra work
following the Chancery Lane derailment.

Richard J. July 5th 07 10:14 AM

alex_t wrote:
The Infraco company that looks after the Picc, Jub and Northern
lines amongst other things.

Also incident train nearly finished being detrained

I know what Tubelines is, I just didn't understand how "ERU out"
applies to Tubelines in the context of the current derailment on the
MetroNet line.

The ERU (Emergency Response Unit) is part of Tube Lines.

--
Richard J.

alex_t July 5th 07 10:23 AM

Central Line Train Off The Road

The ERU (Emergency Response Unit) is part of Tube Lines.

Ah, now I understand! Thank you!

Paul Weaver July 5th 07 10:26 AM

On 5 Jul, 10:06, contrex wrote:
Central Line services are suspended between Leytonstone and Liverpool
Street, causing minor delays.

Not for those stuck on the train.

As usual when the line is closed from Liverpool St to Leytonstone,
those out west are abandoned. In the last few months there have been 2
or 3 suspensions in this part of the line, plus engineering works. A
crossover to allow trains from the west to run to/from Stratford (even
if it's only half the trains, the others reversing at Leytonstone)
would allow people out west to connect to mainline, Jubilee and DLR
services.

Instead you're left to your own devices to get scummy busses to
Walthamstow or Chingford (at least on the Epping branch)

umpston July 5th 07 10:40 AM

On Jul 5, 11:23 am, alex_t wrote:
The ERU (Emergency Response Unit) is part of Tube Lines.

Ah, now I understand! Thank you!

As others have implied the Emergency Response Unit is operated by
Tubelines for the whole of the London Underground network - i.e. they
deal with incidents on the lines maintained by Metronet as well as for
Tubelines.

John B July 5th 07 11:03 AM

On 5 Jul, 11:26, Paul Weaver wrote:
As usual when the line is closed from Liverpool St to Leytonstone,
those out west are abandoned. In the last few months there have been 2
or 3 suspensions in this part of the line, plus engineering works. A
crossover to allow trains from the west to run to/from Stratford (even
if it's only half the trains, the others reversing at Leytonstone)
would allow people out west to connect to mainline, Jubilee and DLR
services.

Instead you're left to your own devices to get scummy busses to
Walthamstow or Chingford (at least on the Epping branch)

ITYM "east"?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Boltar July 5th 07 11:23 AM

On Jul 5, 10:43 am, alex_t wrote:

I hope they won't close it for several months again... :-|

No, that was several years ago. Things are much worse with H&S now,
it'll probably be shut until 2025.

Neill

Something probably fell of the train ahead......

If it does turn out to be yet another bit falling off a train , could
this be the end of the line for the 92 stock?

B2003

Jack Taylor July 5th 07 12:12 PM

Boltar wrote:
On 5 Jul, 10:49, chunky munky wrote:

Something probably fell of the train ahead......

If it does turn out to be yet another bit falling off a train , could
this be the end of the line for the 92 stock?

Unlikely. Something falling off is more likely to be the result of poor
maintenance - even if there was a design defect in the first place that
resulted in nuts working loose as a result of vibration then they should
have been spotted and replaced with a more secure fitting by the operators.

chunky munky July 5th 07 12:15 PM

On Jul 5, 1:12 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
Boltar wrote:
On 5 Jul, 10:49, chunky munky wrote:

Something probably fell of the train ahead......

If it does turn out to be yet another bit falling off a train , could
this be the end of the line for the 92 stock?

Unlikely. Something falling off is more likely to be the result of poor
maintenance - even if there was a design defect in the first place that
resulted in nuts working loose as a result of vibration then they should
have been spotted and replaced with a more secure fitting by the operators.

Howard Collins, deputy chief operating officer for London Underground,
said something resembling "sheeting" had obstructed the track.

"Initial reports from the driver are he saw something white flapping
in the tunnel, before he hit it. There was a loud noise and then he
hit the brakes," he said.

John B July 5th 07 12:24 PM

On 5 Jul, 13:15, chunky munky wrote:
"Initial reports from the driver are he saw something white flapping
in the tunnel, before he hit it. There was a loud noise and then he
hit the brakes," he said.

Evil ghosts?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Paul Scott July 5th 07 12:33 PM

Central Line Train Off The Road

oups.com...
Boltar wrote:
On 5 Jul, 10:49, chunky munky wrote:

Something probably fell of the train ahead......

If it does turn out to be yet another bit falling off a train , could
this be the end of the line for the 92 stock?

Unlikely. Something falling off is more likely to be the result of poor
maintenance - even if there was a design defect in the first place that
resulted in nuts working loose as a result of vibration then they should
have been spotted and replaced with a more secure fitting by the
operators.

Howard Collins, deputy chief operating officer for London Underground,
said something resembling "sheeting" had obstructed the track.

"Initial reports from the driver are he saw something white flapping
in the tunnel, before he hit it. There was a loud noise and then he
hit the brakes," he said.

I see the BBC keep changing Mr Collins' statements. They originally also
had:

"This is the first derailment we've had in passenger service for many many
years on the underground," said Mr Collins."

which now reads:

"Mr Collins added that it was the first derailment of a passenger train for
a number of years."

presumably he or the BBC quickly realised that 'many many years' was just a
bit too much spin...

Paul S

Paul Weaver July 5th 07 12:46 PM

On 5 Jul, 12:03, John B wrote:
On 5 Jul, 11:26, Paul Weaver wrote:

As usual when the line is closed from Liverpool St to Leytonstone,
those out west are abandoned. In the last few months there have been 2
or 3 suspensions in this part of the line, plus engineering works. A
crossover to allow trains from the west to run to/from Stratford (even
if it's only half the trains, the others reversing at Leytonstone)
would allow people out west to connect to mainline, Jubilee and DLR
services.

Instead you're left to your own devices to get scummy busses to
Walthamstow or Chingford (at least on the Epping branch)

ITYM "east"?

East, West, same thing :)

My S.O. Was stuck on the train between Stratford and Mile End, had to
walk through the tunnel to Mile End, and then (after being released
from the holding pen) got charged for a trip from Bow Road to
Liverpool Street, and had to buy a ticket to Chingford, just to get
home. Can't reall be bothered with claiming the money back, but
perhaps people evacced from trains should be given a permit to
complete their journey free of charge by any means, along with the
bottle of water?

umpston July 5th 07 12:53 PM

On Jul 5, 11:26 am, Paul Weaver wrote:
On 5 Jul, 10:06, contrex wrote:

Central Line services are suspended between Leytonstone and Liverpool
Street, causing minor delays.

Not for those stuck on the train.

As usual when the line is closed from Liverpool St to Leytonstone,
those out west are abandoned. In the last few months there have been 2
or 3 suspensions in this part of the line, plus engineering works. A
crossover to allow trains from the west to run to/from Stratford (even
if it's only half the trains, the others reversing at Leytonstone)
would allow people out west to connect to mainline, Jubilee and DLR
services.

Instead you're left to your own devices to get scummy busses to
Walthamstow or Chingford (at least on the Epping branch)

A crossover at Stratford is desirable but major works would be needed
to provide one in the tunnels either side of the station. Since these
tunnels start immediately before and after the platforms there may not
be sufficient space for a crossover at surface level. Even if there
was enough room this would also involve a flat crossing of the Network
Rail main line into Liverpool Street (which runs between the Central
Line tracks at Stratford Station). This would probably be
unacceptable to NR because of the signalling complications and the
likely delays to NR services every time it was used.

chunky munky July 5th 07 01:01 PM

Central Line Train Off The Road

London, 5 July 2007 - A Metronet spokesperson said: "Shortly after 9am
this morning, the three leading bogies of a Central Line train came
off the rails in a tunnel on the west-bound track between Mile End and
Bethnal Green.

"Whilst it is important not to pre-judge the outcome of the
investigation, our initial reports suggest that a bale of material
became dislodged from its licensed storage position in a tunnel cross-
passage.

"As a precaution, Metronet has ordered an immediate audit of all
similar storage sites used by its staff and contractors - and this
will be completed before the start of service tomorrow morning. To
enable this work to proceed, Metronet has additionally ordered that
all works be suspended tonight, with the exception of essential
maintenance.

We apologise to passengers for the distress that this morning's
incident has caused - and for the inconvenience to the many people
that use the Central line daily.

"Working closely with London Underground, Metronet already has teams
on site to start the work of restoring this section of the line to
service as quickly as possible."

ENDS

Recliner July 5th 07 01:09 PM

[...]

Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than other
Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it encounters
something on the track?

chunky munky July 5th 07 01:17 PM

On Jul 5, 2:09 pm, "Recliner" wrote:
[...]

All LU Rolling Stock now have the same sized wheels.

Boltar July 5th 07 01:31 PM

On 5 Jul, 14:09, "Recliner" wrote:
Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than other
Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it encounters
something on the track?

It does seem strange that a heavy train could become derailed by
something light enough to have become dislodged by vibration or air
movements and apparently flap around in the wind.

B2003

verbena July 5th 07 01:41 PM

On Jul 5, 2:31 pm, Boltar wrote:
On 5 Jul, 14:09, "Recliner" wrote:

Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than other
Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it encounters
something on the track?

It does seem strange that a heavy train could become derailed by
something light enough to have become dislodged by vibration or air
movements and apparently flap around in the wind.

B2003

"Our initial reports suggest that a bale of material became dislodged
from its licensed storage position in a tunnel cross-passage," said a
Metronet spokesman.

Whatever that means

Neill

Richard J. July 5th 07 01:52 PM

chunky munky wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:09 pm, "Recliner" wrote:

Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than
other Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it
encounters something on the track?

All LU Rolling Stock now have the same sized wheels.

Not according to the rolling stock dimensions page at Tube Prune
( http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Dimensions.htm )

That shows that 92 stock does indeed have the smallest wheel diameter of
700 mm.

The others a

95, 96: 770 mm
67, 72, 73, D: 788 mm
A, C: 915 mm

--
Richard J.

umpston July 5th 07 02:01 PM

On Jul 5, 2:41 pm, verbena wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:31 pm, Boltar wrote:

On 5 Jul, 14:09, "Recliner" wrote:

Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than other
Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it encounters
something on the track?

It does seem strange that a heavy train could become derailed by
something light enough to have become dislodged by vibration or air
movements and apparently flap around in the wind.

B2003

"Our initial reports suggest that a bale of material became dislodged
from its licensed storage position in a tunnel cross-passage," said a
Metronet spokesman.

Whatever that means

Neill

'tunnel cross passage'
= A passageway between the eastbound and westbound tunnels

'licensed storage position'
= contractors need a licence to leave stuff they are using at specific
locations on LUL property. If there is room it saves them having to
bring it in every night. I think storage licensing has been required
ever since the Kings Cross fire which involved stuff under the
escalator which should not have been left there.

'bale of material'
= contractors stuff

'dislodged'
fell off the pile - possibly should have been better secured

Ken Wheatley July 5th 07 03:23 PM

Central Line Train Off The Road

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 06:31:25 -0700, Boltar
wrote:

On 5 Jul, 14:09, "Recliner" wrote:
Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than other
Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it encounters
something on the track?

It does seem strange that a heavy train could become derailed by
something light enough to have become dislodged by vibration or air
movements and apparently flap around in the wind.

Maybe, but a train has considerable forward momentum so wouldn't take
too much to derail if the obstruction was in exactly the right (or
wrong, perhaps) position.

chunky munky July 5th 07 03:37 PM

wrote:

On 5 Jul, 14:09, "Recliner" wrote:
Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than other
Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it encounters
something on the track?

It does seem strange that a heavy train could become derailed by
something light enough to have become dislodged by vibration or air
movements and apparently flap around in the wind.

Maybe, but a train has considerable forward momentum so wouldn't take
too much to derail if the obstruction was in exactly the right (or
wrong, perhaps) position.

Exactly.One of the last derailments was a train at Ryneers lane that
had its shoegear dislodged, theis then derailed it.

Tom Anderson July 5th 07 07:19 PM

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Boltar wrote:

On 5 Jul, 14:09, "Recliner" wrote:

Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than other
Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it encounters
something on the track?

It does seem strange that a heavy train could become derailed by
something light enough to have become dislodged by vibration or air
movements and apparently flap around in the wind.

If this light flappy thing made its way onto the line, it's possible other
things did too. For instance, if there had been a pile of crowbars wrapped
in a tea-towel (or something more plausible to that effect), and that had
fallen onto the track.

tom

--
It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky,
about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even

martyn dawe July 8th 07 10:04 PM

Central Line Train Off The Road

On 5 Jul, 14:09, "Recliner" wrote:

Am I right in thinking that 1992 stock has smaller wheels than other
Tube trains and is perhaps more likely to derail when it encounters
something on the track?

It does seem strange that a heavy train could become derailed by
something light enough to have become dislodged by vibration or air
movements and apparently flap around in the wind.

If this light flappy thing made its way onto the line, it's possible other
things did too. For instance, if there had been a pile of crowbars wrapped
in a tea-towel (or something more plausible to that effect), and that had
fallen onto the track.

tom

how does the underground get stock like this out of the way, I don't
think they have any shunters, do they have to bring a battery loco in
?

Robin Mayes July 9th 07 03:37 PM

"Martyn Dawe" wrote in message

how does the underground get stock like this out of the way, I don't
think they have any shunters, do they have to bring a battery loco in
?

Several battery locos, once the incident train was re-railed.

chunky munky July 9th 07 08:13 PM

On Jul 9, 4:37 pm, "Robin Mayes" wrote:
"Martyn Dawe" wrote in message

how does the underground get stock like this out of the way, I don't
think they have any shunters, do they have to bring a battery loco in
?

Several battery locos, once the incident train was re-railed.

I believe it was 5.

After the bombings in 2005, the stalled trains were moved using some
battery locos and brake vans that were found in the Museum! These
brake vans have now been repaired so that they can couple a battery
loco to Surface Stock.
Tubeline's Transplant also have a fleet of schoma diesels and various
and tampers and other engineering trains. These can operate on all
lines at any time (except the Victoria, no pax trains allowed and the
Central only if they are ATPthink ;-) )