London Banter

-   -   Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5454-oh-dear-commuter-services-out.html)

Neil Williams July 12th 07 08:47 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

Unfortunately someone saw fit to throw themselves under a train at
Harrow and Wealdstone at the height of the evening peak this evening
(around 1720 I believe). This, as you might guess, caused quite a lot
of chaos at Euston, and resulted in me getting back about 2 hours late
following us getting stuck behind a failed VT at Watford to add insult
to proverbial injury.

However, what I'd really like to comment on was the way in which this
was handled at Euston, which was downright poor in a number of
significant and potentially dangerous ways.

A bit of background, when I arrived at Euston at about 1805 everything
was showing "delayed" and the concourse was absolutely packed. Rather
than stand around in it I headed to platform 11 to board what claimed
to be the 1724 Silverlink service, on which I sat listening to various
announcements (sensibly sending some IC passengers to alternative
services) for a while.

About an hour later, an announcement was made that platforms 8-11
would be closed and that people should return to the concourse. This
was said to be due to dangerous overcrowding, which was not evident
from where I was sitting.

A further 15 minutes later, a member of staff came through the train
chucking everyone off (fairly rudely), and the unit was locked OOU.
It didn't, however, go anywhere. After a conversation with another
member of staff I was told that the BTP had instructed them to
evacuate the platform area "for safety reasons" and they were just
following orders, though they themselves thought it was a bad idea. I
and about 100 others decided to ignore this, however, and remain on
platform 8, where no further hassle was given bar faces being pulled
by staff who seemed to have pretty much given up.

Now this is where I have an issue. The BTP had reportedly told the
Silverlink staff to evacuate more people to the concourse which was
already dangerously full of people. Surely this is completely the
wrong approach given the high risk of a bomb attack at present - it'd
be better to plan in advance which would be the first trains out
following a blockage (most sensible would probably be for those to be
the first ones that got stuck, and to pre-emptively cancel some later
ones) and get people on board until they were full, and only then to
block the concourse like that?

Surely the most important objective is to avoid huge crowds forming,
given that the trains were not themselves a dangerous location? (and
even had a bomb been involved it could have affected fewer people
distributed around trains with the protection of the trains
themselves?) Even if the trains were not to go out in that order,
they could then be evacuated one at a time, which would be far better?

Thoughts?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

burkey July 12th 07 09:02 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Jul 12, 9:47?pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
[...]

Again, if the Croxley Link was in place there would have been an
(albeit slower) alternative way to disperse passengers to Watford
Junction, in both directions!

Burkey

[email protected] July 12th 07 09:02 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On 12 Jul, 21:47, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
Unfortunately someone saw fit to throw themselves under a train at
Harrow and Wealdstone at the height of the evening peak this evening
(around 1720 I believe). This, as you might guess, caused quite a lot
of chaos at Euston, and resulted in me getting back about 2 hours late
following us getting stuck behind a failed VT at Watford to add insult
to proverbial injury.

The nationalrail.co.uk live arr/dep boards information is doing
sterling service in keeping abreast of the situation:

"SITE UNAVAILABLE
The Live Departure Boards web site is currently closed whilst it
undergoes routine maintenance.
Please try again later.
The System is expected to be available again at 11 PM."

No doubt there are pressing reasons why "routine maintenance" cannot
be undertaken at times of minimum train operations.

--
gordon

[email protected] July 12th 07 09:14 PM

wrote:
[...]

When you finally got going, which line did you use through Harrow?

I've just looked at the service disruptions on National Rail, and the
last update (timed at 21.58) says that disruption is expected until
23.00, Silverlink Metro is now stopping at Harrow, but County and
Southern aren't.

I'm not sure what BTP's rationale was (assuming it really was them who
made the decision), but without more information it would be unfair to
be too critical - after all, we seldom do criticism of BTP on here, do
we?

Neil Williams July 12th 07 09:19 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:14:35 -0000,
wrote:

When you finally got going, which line did you use through Harrow?

The down fast. From where I was sitting I couldn't see anything
blocking the slows, though I couldn't see the DC lines at all as I was
on the wrong side of the train to do so. I can only assume that
evidence was moved to a suitable location on the station which
resulted in it remaining closed, or that evidence had been
"distributed", as it were, about the station a bit much for it to
reopen immediately.

I'm not sure what BTP's rationale was (assuming it really was them who
made the decision), but without more information it would be unfair to
be too critical - after all, we seldom do criticism of BTP on here, do
we?

;)

I just opened it for discussion as it seemed to be a classic case of
preventing the platforms getting too full - only they *weren't* too
full, the concourse was! It was also relevant that the people sitting
on the train were quite happy there (and were kept up to date by
announcements which could be heard fairly well), and turfing everybody
off just resulted in each member of staff getting a gobful from
several of them.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

[email protected] July 12th 07 09:40 PM

On Jul 12, 10:02 pm, " wrote:

The nationalrail.co.uk live arr/dep boards information is doing
sterling service in keeping abreast of the situation:

"SITE UNAVAILABLE
The Live Departure Boards web site is currently closed whilst it
undergoes routine maintenance.
Please try again later.
The System is expected to be available again at 11 PM."

No doubt there are pressing reasons why "routine maintenance" cannot
be undertaken at times of minimum train operations.

They seem to be back in action now. Still significant delays on
arrivals at MKC.

Chris Tolley July 12th 07 11:27 PM

Neil Williams wrote:

Rather than stand around in it I headed to platform 11 to board what
claimed to be the 1724 Silverlink service, on which I sat listening
to various announcements (sensibly sending some IC passengers to
alternative services) for a while.

About an hour later, an announcement was made that platforms 8-11
would be closed and that people should return to the concourse. This
was said to be due to dangerous overcrowding, which was not evident
from where I was sitting.

There are surely plenty of real contingencies that are not self-evident
from certain viewpoints.

A further 15 minutes later, a member of staff came through the train
chucking everyone off (fairly rudely), and the unit was locked OOU.

Ah, so you had not followed the instructions. Good job it wasn't a fire.

It didn't, however, go anywhere.

Presumably because it couldn't.

If, as you say, nothing was moving, then I imagine that when, on the
concourse, the first train out is announced, there would be a mad rush
for it (commuters being leopard-like). TPTB at least can carry out some
sensible flow control if they know that the train they are allowing
people to go to is empty. If, OTOH, the train has an indeterminate
number of people aboard already, then how could they know how many
people it would be safe to allow through? (Oh yes, I know, get someone
to count them! But presumably they would reason that once things start
to move they wouldn't want to be wasting time doing things like that
when there is a much more simple way of determining the answer , as in
removing everyone from the train and telling them to vacate the
platform.)

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9633064.html
(50 010 at Leamington Spa, Oct 1987)

Neil Williams July 13th 07 05:27 AM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:27:44 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Ah, so you had not followed the instructions. Good job it wasn't a fire.

It was quite obvious that it was not a fire[1]; it had been explained
quite clearly over the PA what was going on, and I felt that joining
the masses in the concourse could have put me in danger or at the very
least more discomfort than remaining on the platform. I was not the
only one taking that view.

[1] If they use "Fatality at Harrow and Wealdstone and resulting
overcrowding" as a means of identifying a fire over the PA then they
are very, very stupid. No, Inspector Sands was not called.

(Oh yes, I know, get someone
to count them! But presumably they would reason that once things start
to move they wouldn't want to be wasting time doing things like that
when there is a much more simple way of determining the answer , as in
removing everyone from the train and telling them to vacate the
platform.)

Easier? Yes. Safer and more effective? No.

It seemed like a manifestation of the typical South East "keep them on
the concourse and tell them at the last minute" nonsense.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Pyromancer July 13th 07 08:31 AM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Neil
Williams gently breathed:

Surely this is completely the
wrong approach given the high risk of a bomb attack at present

What high risk of a bomb attack?

Seriously, the risk presented by the recent, utterly incompetent
attempts at "terrorism" is about the same as being struck by a falling
meteor at the exact same moment you win your fourth lottery jackpot in a
row.

See The Register for a very thorough debunking of the "threat" from the
recent "car bombs" by a former bomb disposal expert.

People really should learn to analyse risk sensibly, and not go along
with the "security panic" that some would use simply as an excuse to
curtail civil liberties.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net
Hard Rock, Leeds http://www.hard-rock.org.uk

ŽiŠardo July 13th 07 08:37 AM

Pyromancer wrote:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Neil
Williams gently breathed:

Surely this is completely the
wrong approach given the high risk of a bomb attack at present

What high risk of a bomb attack?

Seriously, the risk presented by the recent, utterly incompetent
attempts at "terrorism" is about the same as being struck by a falling
meteor at the exact same moment you win your fourth lottery jackpot in a
row.

LOL!

See The Register for a very thorough debunking of the "threat" from the
recent "car bombs" by a former bomb disposal expert.

People really should learn to analyse risk sensibly, and not go along
with the "security panic" that some would use simply as an excuse to
curtail civil liberties.

--
Moving things in still pictures!

Chris Tolley July 13th 07 08:39 AM

wrote:

Ah, so you had not followed the instructions. Good job it wasn't a fire.

I felt that joining the masses in the concourse could have put me in
danger or at the very least more discomfort than remaining on the
platform. I was not the only one taking that view.

No doubt. But that does not necessarily make it the cleverest thing to
do. For every circumstance in which you might foresee a more comfortable
and safer existence on the platform, there is probably a converse.

(Oh yes, I know, get someone to count them! But presumably they would
reason that once things start to move they wouldn't want to be
wasting time doing things like that when there is a much more simple
way of determining the answer , as in removing everyone from the
train and telling them to vacate the platform.)

Easier? Yes. Safer and more effective? No.

Why are you convinced it was safer? You have only mentioned "the high
risk of a bomb attack at present", and when all is said and done, you
were talking about London, rather than Baghdad. The risk from a bomb is
surely infinitesimal in any normal sense of perspective. OTOH, there is
a much higher risk of being knifed in London, and I would have thought
that particular risk reduced in crowds.

There are, of course, times when it is probably in one's interest to go
against the flow, but I am not convinced this was one of them. When some
contingency of this kind arises, it is almost certainly a safer
assumption these days that there has been some relevant contingency
planning done in advance than that there hasn't. And therefore,
counter-intuitive though it must seem at times from the perspective of
one of the milling hordes, it is more likely that it will be safer to do
as one is bidden than not.

It seemed like a manifestation of the typical South East "keep them on
the concourse and tell them at the last minute" nonsense.

I guess I don't like that any more than you do, and sadly it isn't a
South-East thing exclusively - indeed, didn't the SE get the idea from
Blackpool ? ;-)

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683766.html
(143 612 at Maesteg, 2 Jul 1999)

Neil Williams July 13th 07 09:07 AM

On Jul 13, 9:39 am, Chris Tolley wrote:

No doubt. But that does not necessarily make it the cleverest thing to
do. For every circumstance in which you might foresee a more comfortable
and safer existence on the platform, there is probably a converse.

This is probably true. As it turned out, neither was safer, however
it was more comfortable remaining on the platform with about 100
people there than joining the hordes. When the trains started to be
announced, I deliberately ignored the first one out because that was
where most of the hordes would be (and it fortunately went from an off-
platform) and took the second, which was also from an off-platform but
more easily accessible with the crowds on the concourse reduced, and
on which there were plenty of seats.

(What that does show is that the Silverlink operation has tons of
spare capacity, which is of benefit when things go wrong as well as on
a daily basis, which just shows that it *can* be done even in London
and the South East if the will and money is there).

It does, admittedly, say something about my personality (and the
personalities of the other 99), I imagine, which is that I don't like
being told what to do but I do accept reason. "Can you leave this
train because we're going to send it to the depot to clear platforms
for more arrivals" would have me off straight away. "Get off because
we have decided to evacuate the platforms" has me questioning what's
going on. Some consider that a strength, others a weakness - one
thing is for sure I wouldn't ever fit in the armed forces. The
operators need to consider that in their dealing with people, and they
often don't.

Why are you convinced it was safer? You have only mentioned "the high
risk of a bomb attack at present", and when all is said and done, you
were talking about London, rather than Baghdad. The risk from a bomb is
surely infinitesimal in any normal sense of perspective. OTOH, there is
a much higher risk of being knifed in London, and I would have thought
that particular risk reduced in crowds.

This is true, though I would consider Euston platforms 8-11 in the
evening peak to be as an unlikely a location for a knifing as the
concourse. However, unhappy, packed crowds are a lot more dangerous
than no crowds in general - think football mobs. And from a pure
customer service perspective, there were 8 cars of passengers who were
mostly happy sitting on the train to wait which were turned into 8
cars of unhappy passengers and several hacked off members of staff who
got moaned at by a good proportion of said unhappy passengers.

I guess I don't like that any more than you do, and sadly it isn't a
South-East thing exclusively - indeed, didn't the SE get the idea from
Blackpool ? ;-)

Maybe so. The fact that they normally do not do that on the
Silverlink operation (as its own little island at Euston) makes its
use in the evening peak far more civilised than the other operations
that do do it. I hope London Midland do not change this, and I wish
VT would join them and start advertising platforms as soon as the
train was ready[1] rather than uniformly a few minutes before.

[1] In my view "ready"="inbound passengers are off" for the Euston VT
operation. It'd be far better to have passengers spread up the
platform with a few waiting by each door for them to be released once
cleaning was complete than it is to keep them on the concourse and
have them run at the last minute.

Indeed, on a different basis, one of the reasons I really like
Schiphol airport is that it advertises gates as soon as they are known
rather than 2 minutes beforehand. Thus, those who wish to get there
early can do, which reduces queueing and the rush. Not conducive to
keeping everyone in the BAA shopping centre, but a good professional
way to run an airport.

Neil

Paul Scott July 13th 07 09:47 AM

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message

Ah, so you had not followed the instructions. Good job it wasn't a fire.

It didn't, however, go anywhere.

Presumably because it couldn't.

If, as you say, nothing was moving, then I imagine that when, on the
concourse, the first train out is announced, there would be a mad rush
for it (commuters being leopard-like).

Lemming - like shurely?

Paul

Roland Perry July 13th 07 10:53 AM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

In message , at 10:47:26 on Fri, 13 Jul
2007, Paul Scott remarked:
If, as you say, nothing was moving, then I imagine that when, on the
concourse, the first train out is announced, there would be a mad rush
for it (commuters being leopard-like).

Lemming - like shurely?

I expect so. There's not enough room in the disused lavatories for that
many commuters.

gonzo July 13th 07 11:41 AM

"Pyromancer" wrote in message
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Neil
Williams gently breathed:

Surely this is completely the
wrong approach given the high risk of a bomb attack at present

What high risk of a bomb attack?

Seriously, the risk presented by the recent, utterly incompetent
attempts at "terrorism" is about the same as being struck by a falling
meteor at the exact same moment you win your fourth lottery jackpot in a
row.

Actually its about 1 in 12 million right now. Your chance of being killed by
a meteor is more, but winning the lottery four times is less :)
Cheers
James

Graham Murray July 13th 07 02:46 PM

Neil Williams writes:

"Get off because we have decided to evacuate the platforms" has me
questioning what's going on.

especially as you were not on the platform but on a train.

mikestone July 13th 07 04:29 PM

On 13 Jul, 15:46, Graham Murray wrote:
Neil Williams writes:

"Get off because we have decided to evacuate the platforms" has me
questioning what's going on.

especially as you were not on the platform but on a train.

And whatever it was it wasn't the 17.24, because that was trapped on
the down slow at Wembley Central.

Ken Ward July 13th 07 04:52 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 12, 9:47 pm, (Neil Williams)
I've just looked at the service disruptions on National Rail, and the
last update (timed at 21.58) says that disruption is expected until
23.00, Silverlink Metro is now stopping at Harrow, but County and
Southern aren't.

I'm not sure what BTP's rationale was (assuming it really was them who
made the decision), but without more information it would be unfair to
be too critical - after all, we seldom do criticism of BTP on here, do
we?

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the lines
through was "Body parts on the platform".

--
Ken Ward

Join the group that puts Marine Environment
before aching backs! @

Ken Ward July 13th 07 04:56 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
.. .
Neil Williams wrote:

It seemed like a manifestation of the typical South East "keep them on
the concourse and tell them at the last minute" nonsense.

I guess I don't like that any more than you do, and sadly it isn't a
South-East thing exclusively - indeed, didn't the SE get the idea from
Blackpool ? ;-)

Yes, the excursion platforms at Blackpool Central!

Ken Ward July 13th 07 05:01 PM

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message

Ah, so you had not followed the instructions. Good job it wasn't a fire.

It didn't, however, go anywhere.

Presumably because it couldn't.

If, as you say, nothing was moving, then I imagine that when, on the
concourse, the first train out is announced, there would be a mad rush
for it (commuters being leopard-like).

Lemming - like shurely?

It's because of the Lemmings we have to have announcement like "Mind the
Gap"....

David Hansen July 13th 07 05:07 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 02:07:17 -0700 someone who may be Neil Williams
wrote this:-

It does, admittedly, say something about my personality (and the
personalities of the other 99), I imagine, which is that I don't like
being told what to do but I do accept reason.

That makes you a "dangerous intellectual" to those who follow the
cult of Stalin.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Jack Taylor July 13th 07 05:18 PM

Ken Ward wrote:

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Presumably disconnected body parts. Body parts on the platform per se
shouldn't be a reason to close a station! ;-)

zen83237 July 13th 07 05:43 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

"Ken Ward" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 12, 9:47 pm, (Neil Williams)
I've just looked at the service disruptions on National Rail, and the
last update (timed at 21.58) says that disruption is expected until
23.00, Silverlink Metro is now stopping at Harrow, but County and
Southern aren't.

I'm not sure what BTP's rationale was (assuming it really was them who
made the decision), but without more information it would be unfair to
be too critical - after all, we seldom do criticism of BTP on here, do
we?

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Which platform, there are 6 of them to choose from at Harrow.

Kevin

Ken Ward July 13th 07 06:11 PM

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Ken Ward wrote:

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Presumably disconnected body parts. Body parts on the platform per se
shouldn't be a reason to close a station! ;-)

That seems not to apply at Euston though :-(

Ken Ward July 13th 07 06:14 PM

"zen83237" wrote in message

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Which platform, there are 6 of them to choose from at Harrow.

I don't have that information but, I would presume all traffic was suspended
until evidence and the clean up were concluded.

It is not normally accepted that BTP, Undertakers or clean up staff are
expected to dodge moving trains in the course of their jobs or have
commuters walking amongst them.

Ken Ward July 13th 07 06:17 PM

wrote this:-

It does, admittedly, say something about my personality (and the
personalities of the other 99), I imagine, which is that I don't like
being told what to do but I do accept reason.

That makes you a "dangerous intellectual" to those who follow the
cult of Stalin.

Or as was said on Monty Python. There's nothing more dangerous that an
Intelligent Sheep!

ŽiŠardo July 13th 07 07:30 PM

Jack Taylor wrote:
Ken Ward wrote:
I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Presumably disconnected body parts. Body parts on the platform per se
shouldn't be a reason to close a station! ;-)

Well, if it's a good enough reason to close a motorway for six hours,
why not spread the grief!

--
Moving things in still pictures!

Peter Masson July 13th 07 07:32 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

"Neil Williams" wrote

About an hour later, an announcement was made that platforms 8-11
would be closed and that people should return to the concourse. This
was said to be due to dangerous overcrowding, which was not evident
from where I was sitting.

A further 15 minutes later, a member of staff came through the train
chucking everyone off (fairly rudely), and the unit was locked OOU.
It didn't, however, go anywhere.

I can think of some good reasons why a train which has been indefinitely
delayed at its starting point should be cleared and locked out of use.
Unfortunately the reason you were given was not one of them - so if they had
a good reason they should have told you the truth and acted firmly but
politely to clear the train.

The train crew may have been running out of hours - unless another crew had
been assigned to take over they would have to shut down and secure the
train.

Control may have wished to recover the service by running the first train
able to leave fast to, say, Milton Keynes - so it wouldn't be overwhelmed by
hordes for all stations along the line, who could have been directed to a
second train a few minutes later. They wouldn't want there to be passengers
on the train for intermediate stations, who may miss announcements, or who
may wish to try to leave the platform as a full trainload are trying to join
the train.

Peter

Paul Corfield July 13th 07 09:21 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:43:45 +0100, "zen83237"
wrote:

Which platform, there are 6 of them to choose from at Harrow.

A report I have seen says the Up Main - the person was under a Virgin
train. No idea what platform number that is but I'm sure someone else on
group does know.
--
Paul C

Matthew P Jones July 13th 07 09:24 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

wrote on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 -
Control may have wished to recover the service by running the first train
able to leave fast to, say, Milton Keynes - so it wouldn't be overwhelmed by
hordes for all stations along the line, who could have been directed to a
second train a few minutes later. They wouldn't want there to be passengers
on the train for intermediate stations, who may miss announcements, or who
may wish to try to leave the platform as a full trainload are trying to join
the train.

I was on the 17:58 from MKC to Euston. The staff at MKC warned of
delays, but we shot along to just past Hemel when we stopped. We were
held for about an hour. The driver told us there was a fatality at
Harrow and all lines were blocked. He advised we were to Terminate at
Watford as all trains were, but we had to wait to get into the station.
I was making my plan to get to Watford Met as the train moved from the
fast to the slow and went into Watford, everyone stood up to get off,
but the driver said he had been given the all clear and we then shot on
at line speed to Euston. Our train was not full, there were two Virgin
trains at Watford and many people on platform 9 which we passed, I bet
they were "please" we did not stop to pick them up, I know I would have
been annoyed, especially as we slowed right down to go through Watford
--
Matthew P Jones
www.ThisIsAmersham.com www.amersham.org.uk www.metroland.org.uk

Peter Masson July 13th 07 10:13 PM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

"Matthew P Jones" wrote

He advised we were to Terminate at
Watford as all trains were, but we had to wait to get into the station.
I was making my plan to get to Watford Met as the train moved from the
fast to the slow and went into Watford, everyone stood up to get off,
but the driver said he had been given the all clear and we then shot on
at line speed to Euston. Our train was not full, there were two Virgin
trains at Watford and many people on platform 9 which we passed, I bet
they were "please" we did not stop to pick them up, I know I would have
been annoyed, especially as we slowed right down to go through Watford

What you couldn't have known is whether there were full trains behind yours
booked fast to Euston, whose passengers would not have been pleased to have
to stop behind yours while it picked up at Watford, or trains close behind
yours booked to call at Watford which could equally well pick up passengers
off terminated trains.

Peter

simon July 13th 07 11:14 PM

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Matthew P Jones" wrote

What you couldn't have known is whether there were full trains behind
yours
booked fast to Euston, whose passengers would not have been pleased to
have
to stop behind yours while it picked up at Watford, or trains close behind
yours booked to call at Watford which could equally well pick up
passengers
off terminated trains.

Peter

When did the TOCs give any thought to how pleased the passengers would be.
More likely they were thinking about the cost of stopping at the station.

Simon

Neil Williams July 14th 07 01:50 AM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:29:10 -0700, mikestone
wrote:

And whatever it was it wasn't the 17.24, because that was trapped on
the down slow at Wembley Central.

Thinking about it it was probably the 17:54.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams July 14th 07 01:57 AM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:32:36 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

Control may have wished to recover the service by running the first train
able to leave fast to, say, Milton Keynes - so it wouldn't be overwhelmed by
hordes for all stations along the line, who could have been directed to a
second train a few minutes later. They wouldn't want there to be passengers
on the train for intermediate stations, who may miss announcements, or who
may wish to try to leave the platform as a full trainload are trying to join
the train.

What actually happened was that the train concerned ended up as the
1936 (I think) all stops to Tring, which is the only one[1] that was
no use to me! That said, it was still no reason why it needed locking
OOU, and I'm fairly sure that sets do remain with doors open at Euston
with no traincrews on board. (The usual approach at EUS for SS
services is not to lock anything out of use - it's advertised and
available for boarding as soon as it comes in).

[1] My season is MKC-EUS but I normally travel from Bletchley. As I'm
not paying for it I kept it as that because it gives me the
flexibility to take a VT or SS fast and double back if that would be
useful, which had the train concerned been fast to MK (or Bletchley,
as I thought more likely) I would have taken regardless.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Chris Tolley July 14th 07 07:50 AM

simon wrote:

When did the TOCs give any thought to how pleased the passengers would be.
More likely they were thinking about the cost of stopping at the station.

Thanks to Mr Major's vision of the railways, the latter is deemed to be
the method of measuring the former.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12198542.html
(66 027 at Winwick, 23 Feb 2005)

Chris Tolley July 14th 07 07:52 AM

Neil Williams wrote:

It seemed like a manifestation of the typical South East "keep them on
the concourse and tell them at the last minute" nonsense.

I guess I don't like that any more than you do, and sadly it isn't a
South-East thing exclusively - indeed, didn't the SE get the idea from
Blackpool ? ;-)

Yes, the excursion platforms at Blackpool Central!

Well, then. there's a lesson from history. It's a coach park now, innit?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14486557.html
(50 030 at Rowsley, 22 Apr 2005)

Chris Tolley July 14th 07 08:33 AM

Neil Williams wrote:

Maybe so. The fact that they normally do not do that on the
Silverlink operation (as its own little island at Euston) makes its
use in the evening peak far more civilised than the other operations
that do do it. I hope London Midland do not change this, and I wish
VT would join them and start advertising platforms as soon as the
train was ready[1] rather than uniformly a few minutes before.

[1] In my view "ready"="inbound passengers are off" for the Euston VT
operation.

Nah, you've got to give them time to do the outbound reservations thing
as well.

On my recent ride from Euston to Crewe, we were able to board 25 minutes
before departure, which was most civilised. I don't know how long the
train had been standing there, though.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10589932.html
(08 269 at Stratford Depot, 11 Jul 1981)

David Hansen July 14th 07 09:22 AM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:14:47 GMT someone who may be "Ken Ward"
wrote this:-

I understand the reason for a complete closure of the station and the
lines through was "Body parts on the platform".

Which platform, there are 6 of them to choose from at Harrow.

I don't have that information but, I would presume all traffic was suspended
until evidence and the clean up were concluded.

Most stations with several platforms, including this one, have
buildings over part of the length of the platforms which will
restrict the spread and will also screen the clear up operation,
provided of course that the person was struck where the buildings
are. Thus it may be possible for trains to initially run through the
station on other lines and later on call at some of the platforms
when suitable arrangements have been made.

Whether this was possible or not we don't know. The fact that it was
not done is not conclusive proof that it was not possible.

It is not normally accepted that BTP, Undertakers or clean up staff are
expected to dodge moving trains in the course of their jobs or have
commuters walking amongst them.

Nobody has suggested this.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Neil Williams July 14th 07 10:39 AM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 08:33:31 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Nah, you've got to give them time to do the outbound reservations thing
as well.

They could do that while passengers queue by the locked doors, having
given them chance to spread out along the train. That's how it would
work at most other non-South-East terminals.

On my recent ride from Euston to Crewe, we were able to board 25 minutes
before departure, which was most civilised. I don't know how long the
train had been standing there, though.

That seems quite unusually early.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Matthew P Jones July 14th 07 11:31 AM

Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

wrote on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 -

"Matthew P Jones" wrote

What you couldn't have known is whether there were full trains behind yours
booked fast to Euston, whose passengers would not have been pleased to have
to stop behind yours while it picked up at Watford, or trains close behind
yours booked to call at Watford which could equally well pick up passengers
off terminated trains.

Indeed, I don't, I do know a slow train passed us before we got into
Watford. We were not booked to stop at Watford, but we were lightly
loaded so one wonders if there was an option to use our train to clear
passengers from Watford. No matter, I still reckon the passengers at
Watford would have been annoyed as we slowed almost to a stop before
accelerating away.