Old August 30th 07, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Do you own a diesel engined vehicle?

eastender ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Do you really think everywhere in Central London is a dirt-cheap
hovel?

Did you not see the words 'less likely' in what I said?

'Disadvantaged urban areas tend to be characterised by high traffic
volume, leading to increased levels of air and noise pollution and
higher rates of road traffic accidents without the benefits of access
to private transport.'

I'm sure that is the case, nationally.

However you can't extrapolate from that to the (unusual) case of Central
London - the fact is that there are plenty of affluent people in London who
also live on very busy truck routes. I'm not sure why you want to turn it
into a class-war issue, but if that floats your boat, go right ahead.

Old August 30th 07, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:

I'm not sure why you want to turn it
into a class-war issue, but if that floats your boat, go right ahead.

No, just interested in the facts.

'Areas of London with low air quality, high levels of noise pollution and
deficiencies in green space closely match those with the highest levels of
deprivation.'

www.london.gov.uk/mayor/health/ docs/finalissuesforlondon2007.pdf

E.

Old August 30th 07, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

On Aug 30, 8:25 am, "John" wrote:
Do you own a diesel van-mini bus-truck- or any other type of diesel engined
vehicle? if so the check out the TFL website and search for LEZ (low
emmissions zone)and see what Ken Livingstone and TFL are going to introduce
from next year (a daily charge of £100 or £200 to drive anywhere inside the
M25).

Are going to let him getaway with this?

How is Ken Livingstone going to charge me for driving in Watford?

Kevin

Old August 30th 07, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kev ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

(a daily charge of £100 or £200 to drive anywhere inside the M25).

Are going to let him getaway with this?

How is Ken Livingstone going to charge me for driving in Watford?

He isn't. It's nothing to do with "inside the M25". It's inside the
boundaries of the London Boroughs.
Old August 30th 07, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 Aug, 15:45, Adrian wrote:
(a daily charge of £100 or £200 to drive anywhere inside the M25).

Are going to let him getaway with this?

How is Ken Livingstone going to charge me for driving in Watford?

He isn't. It's nothing to do with "inside the M25". It's inside the
boundaries of the London Boroughs.

[with the M25 excluded from the charge where it falls within the
boundaries of Greater London]

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old August 30th 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

How is Ken Livingstone going to charge me for driving in Watford?

He isn't. It's nothing to do with "inside the M25". It's inside the
boundaries of the London Boroughs.

[with the M25 excluded from the charge where it falls within the
boundaries of Greater London]

Indeed. Together with certain other major approach roads between the
boundary and easy turning/unloading points.

That's not actually very much of the M25, though, is it?

Anybody got an image superimposing the M25 onto this?
http://www.thecapitalfund.co.uk/imag...ic/glondon.jpg
Old August 30th 07, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 Aug 2007 15:46:29 GMT, Adrian wrote:
Anybody got an image superimposing the M25 onto this?
http://www.thecapitalfund.co.uk/imag...ic/glondon.jpg

There is one at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/...eaofoperation/

David
Old August 30th 07, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Walters ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Anybody got an image superimposing the M25 onto this?
http://www.thecapitalfund.co.uk/imag...ic/glondon.jpg

There is one at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/...eaofoperation/

So there is...
slaps self

So the "But not the M25" exclusion applies to about 200yds somewhere out
towards Essex.
Old August 31st 07, 01:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:
Adrian wrote:

I'm not sure why you want to turn it
into a class-war issue, but if that floats your boat, go right ahead.

No, just interested in the facts.

'Areas of London with low air quality, high levels of noise pollution
and deficiencies in green space closely match those with the highest
levels of deprivation.'

www.london.gov.uk/mayor/health/ docs/finalissuesforlondon2007.pdf

Sounds like more Livingstone lies to me. The blocks of flats which line the
A41 from Marble Arch to Childs Hill all look pretty expensive to me. The
most deprived areas tend to be pedestrianised and very quiet.

Old August 31st 07, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Sounds like more Livingstone lies to me. The blocks of flats which line the
A41 from Marble Arch to Childs Hill all look pretty expensive to me. The
most deprived areas tend to be pedestrianised and very quiet.

That may be true in some cities but not so much in London, Bear in mind too
that children are particularly affected by pollution, and many primary schools
and routes to school in the inner city are on or near main roads.

This report matched social deprivation with air pollution, finding a
correlation in London but not Glasgow:

"The increase in deprivation with increasing air pollution is clearer for
London and Belfast. For Glasgow the opposite pattern is evident, with a
slight decrease in air concentration with increasing deprivation. This is
likely to be owing to a different geography of deprivation in Glasgow compared
with the other cities, possibly because of large peripheral housing estates
built as part of city centre slum clearance schemes."

http://www.airquality.co.uk/archive/reports/cat09/aeat-r-env-0241.pdfhttp://www.airquality.co.uk/archive/...r-env-0241.pdf

By and large, poorer people do tend to suffer from factors that affect their
health more -regarding roads, accidents certainly so.

E.